Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here to the forums :wavey

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area.

I just purchased a 2011 GT/CS in performance white, zero on the odometer, and it should be available to me by next week. I traded in my 2008 GT/CS and I'm pumped to get this new car! I've researched as much as I could about the break in period and I read that you should not drive the car for extended periods of time at the same speed. Is this something I should take serious? The only reason I ask is because I have to drive the car from the dealership back to my home which is 4 hours away and its all highway driving. Should I be stopping along the way and taking quick breaks (cooldown time) or should I just drive the car and not worry about it. Distance is roughly 400kms.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just read your owners manuel when you get your car. It basically states that your car does not require a break in. It states to avoid wide open throttle for an EXTENDED period for the first 100 miles. What that basically is saying, don't take your car to the 1/4 mile track during the first 100 miles. I took mine to red line 3-4 times briefly during the first 100 miles. Also do not use cruise control for the first 1000 miles because you need to vary your rpm's.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Here is the Owner's Manual information on break-in.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a trailer or before performance/competition conditions. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil usage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll drive the car around the city for a bit which should help some before taking it home. Then when I'm driving back home I'll vary the speed as much as possible.

Thank you very much guys for the feedback.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.