Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I noticed a new sound coming from my engine bay when warmed up. It is distinctively on the passenger side and seems lower in the engine. Is this the good old tick? The car is a 2011 auto gt with 39,000 miles.

2011 mustang gt engine noise - YouTube

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi everyone, I noticed a new sound coming from my engine bay when warmed up. It is distinctively on the passenger side and seems lower in the engine. Is this the good old tick? The car is a 2011 auto gt with 39,000 miles.

2011 mustang gt engine noise - YouTube

Thanks,

Scott

Hmmm,that does not look good. Id go over the engine with a stethescope.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My '12 sounded like that right off the lot. In fact so did my '08 5.4 F150. Come to think of it every overhead cam Ford Ive ever owned sounded like that when warmed up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
search for me Silverchief12 in the search area. I posted my problem. I have the same problem.....took her in to two dealers and both said it was nothing. The 5.0 is a nosiy engine. I heard another on the lot to compair with mine. Same noise. if you want, take her in to the shop and have it checked out. But, FORD will tell you not to worry. Some ppl on the net may overreact to the situation. sorry for the misspellings, it is too late for me. goodnight!

SilverChief12
Chicago, IL.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If only we had an engine tick thread. Wait . . . what?

The chirp/tick from the passenger side wheel well is very "common." Ford will tell you it's normal, although the noise in the video you posted sounds particularly distinct. It is not "the" tick.

I've had two motors in mine, and both made this sound. Although again, not as obvious as in the video you posted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was hesitant to post another thread, but I felt that this sounded different than I heard in other clips. It sounds like its coming from a lower part of the engine, not the valve cover area. When you had your car in for the chirp, did they tech say what components are specifically causing the sound?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Does the sound change when you turn the A/C on or off?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hmmm,that does not look good. Id go over the engine with a stethescope.
I disagree,

Every 5.0 motor I've heard (I've a lot of them) sound like this after warmed up.
I'm on my 3rd 11+ 5.0 and my father has one as well. They all sound like this... Some louder than others but is there in every one of them.

I think it's a variation of the norm and I doubt it will effect the longevity of the motor.

Any knocking, cold engine knock, or igniter ticking are not normal.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My 2011 sounds exactly the same. 23k miles thus far.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Mine may have had the tick but its not noticeable now since I tuned the car.My 03 would sound like that if I used 87 and when I used 93 gas it went away .

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can't see the tick in my 5.0, but I hear it and it's what I expect from an aluminum engine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I live with it in my car for around 1,000 miles after every oil change. It goes away in my case. I have the intermittent 'ignitor' tick.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Scott, take a look at this thread:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/302140-you-guys-have-noise.html

FWIW, I complained about this noise in addition to the ignitor tick. When I got a new engine, there was no ignitor tick, but the new motor also made the noise you are now complaining about. Again, in neither of my motors did the noise seem as pronounced as in your video, but that could just be the acoustics of your recording.

When we settled the lawsuit, it was as much about this noise still being there as the fact Ford dragged me through the ringer on the ignitor tick in the first place. Bottom line, the noise you complain about went unresolved and I took the money and went.

Again, I think this noise is "common," but I will never say it's "normal." However, unlike the ignitor tick, it will not keep me from keeping and enjoying the car :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott, take a look at this thread:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/302140-you-guys-have-noise.html

FWIW, I complained about this noise in addition to the ignitor tick. When I got a new engine, there was no ignitor tick, but the new motor also made the noise you are now complaining about. Again, in neither of my motors did the noise seem as pronounced as in your video, but that could just be the acoustics of your recording.

When we settled the lawsuit, it was as much about this noise still being there as the fact Ford dragged me through the ringer on the ignitor tick in the first place. Bottom line, the noise you complain about went unresolved and I took the money and went.

Again, I think this noise is "common," but I will never say it's "normal." However, unlike the ignitor tick, it will not keep me from keeping and enjoying the car :)
Car runs great, but the sound just annoys the heck out of me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think I have the same sound. I hear something different when AC is on. It gets pretty loud..... goes away and comes back. Cant describe it that well. Sorry. I need to post a video once I get a chance....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts