Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 GT - getting into reverse instead of 1st gear

13K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  SCCA2011GT 
#1 ·
I've got 12k miles on my GT. I recently noticed a very disconcerting problem where I am sitting at a light or otherwise stopped in traffic and end up in reverse when I should be in 1st gear. I haven't hit anyone behind me yet, thank goodness. Does anyone else have this issue?

At first I thought it must be something I am doing wrong, even though I've been driving manuals for years and came right out of a BMW where 1st was where it is in my Mustang. I can tell you that in my car, even the very slightest downward deflection of the stick will land me in reverse instead of 1st. I mean 1/16" of an inch or less.

I am planning on getting it to Ford shortly but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

#2 ·
I have an 11' GT and it's quite opposite. I have to push down pretty hard and deliberate to get into reverse. Not enough to be annoying, just safe. I would at least have them take a look at it.

#3 ·
This is something that I haven't experienced, either. My shifter requires a very positive downward pressure to get it into reverse- it's almost too hard a push, for me.
My last car was a BMW (99 M Coupe), which operated similarly, but the Bimmer's shifter was a little easier. Overall, though, the Mustang's shifter is on a par with both my BMWs'- and none were as good as my old Alfa Romeo's!

#5 ·
Mine has less then 3000 miles on it and I did it twice in the first week I had it. My hand must have been resting on it at the light and it went into reverse instead of first. Thankfully nothing happened. I usually start in second anyway unless I have been stopped awhile. So when I start in first I do make sure I pull it into second then up into first so I know it is in first.

I was super worried about it when I first started driving it my reverses have always been last. But then when I test drove the first Mustang I had no idea how to get it into reverse and neither did the dealer so I felt confident it wouldn't happen. It happened, first week I had it.

#7 ·
Never has this happened to me. And this is my first german transmission.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Dont worry you are not going crazy:yelwacko: It happened to me several times and if you are putting just a little pressure on the shifter it will go into reverse without you knowing it.

you start to ease out the clutch and began moving backwards
you just have to get out of the habit of resting your hand on the shifter when stopped.There is nothing wrong with the transmission or shifter:)

#10 ·
Yep, a little pressure on it CAN cause it to go into reverse. I almost always start in second, but if I want 1st I go from 2->1, no issues with that, if I have it in the middle and push over and up, and I don't know for certain that it is in 1st, I will always let the clutch out a little at the light to make sure I roll forward. My big thing is going from reverse ->1, It likes to stay in R!

#11 ·
My car will say "REVERSE PARK ASSIST <ON> OFF" in the message center when I go into reverse because of the screaming midget in the car (the reverse sensors). Also, the backup camera turns on in the nav display.

It's nice to have technology.

If you have none of these indicators, then a simple shift into 2nd will allay your fears, as if you're in reverse, you can't shift down into second! Do a quick 1-2-1 shift to ensure you're not in reverse.

#12 ·
I have had it happen before also, Just a bit more than the weight of my hand will push the shifter down. Then I see the "REVERSE PARK ASSIST <ON> OFF" some times a car has been so close behind me it beeps lol.... Just have to really watch it. Well I allmost never use 1st anyways. I do 2,4,6 but I have the 3.73 gears.
MLT2

#13 ·
How bout the guy in the Camaro pulls up to you at the light and revs his motor

light turns green and you rev to 5K dump the clutch and go backwards hitting the unmarked cop car behind you:gringreen

I know I know It could never happen lol

#16 ·
Zilla, this made me hit the floor!

I came very close to doing this, but with a marked deputy car behind me, I was so intent on looking at the traffic signal and the others in around me that I didn't notice what had pulled up behind me. Lucky for the deputy I was in 1st. I figured out I was scruuuud when the Red and Blues came through the tire smoke. My Wife was more pissed than the Deputy, he chuckled when he walked up, I told him who I was and his words were, "Aaron, you can't do that:nono:", I replied, "Sorry Deputy, I didn't know you were back there". So now, not only do I double check that I am in 1st, I also check who is behind me.

#17 ·
This did happen to me the first week I had my car,I think I did push down on the stick to hard with out thinking about it.now its on my mind when i am sitting at a red light.LOL I seen car a few years ago at a red light,were this guy went to far into the intersection put his car in reverse,i seen his back up lights still on, the light turns red, he jumps on it hits the car behind him just like at a demolition derby.

#20 ·
I've never experienced this. It might be due to that I don't rest my hand on top of the shifter knob unless I'm putting the car into reverse. I usually grab the base of the shift knob when running through the gears. I know it sounds strange, but that's just the way I shift.

#22 ·
Yes this has happened to me several times too. I rest my hand on the shifter most times and have accidentally gone to reverse a couple of times. I never launch my card hard from a light unless I am positive that I am in first gear. I only had that problem on Beemers when racing. Trying to throw back in first gear on a sharp turn and I have hit reverse instead. Fortunately, Mustangs typically have enough grunt to pull out of turns in 2nd gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.