Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering the Hellion single turbo set up for my '11 GT. Wondering if anyone else installed and has some pointers or things to look for. The complete kit looks as if I won't need to buy anything else but just want to get an idea on total costs, bad things, good things, etc.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
We're running the Hellion Single kit on our 2011 5.0 A6 shop car. We ran 9.74 @ 139 at 14lbs, on UPR suspension and 275 Drag Radials. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty cool. Main thing I'm concerned with is reliability. I don't care to pull crazy dyno #'s. 600 is plenty for me. Just want to make sure my car can handle it safely. I understand I'll have to upgrade clutch and possibly D/S. just wondering if there is anything else I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As long as you don't go crazy with the boost there shouldn't be any reliability issues in the near future and granted you don't drive the living piss out of your mustang 24/7. The turboed engine will probably wear faster than a NA engine nothing drastic but is better than centri and positive displacement blowers from a reliability stand point because they put a little more stress on the engine then a turbo set up would, but again most likely minimal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good. It's gonna mainly be a biweekly to monthly track car and a partial DD. I have a beater DD but it's still hard not to unlock the mustang on the way to it. lol.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
With reliability as a primary concern, I'd consider an ATI ProCharger. That's what I'm running on my car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But the procharger doesnt go pssshhhhhh when you let off the throttle.

My last car was a turbo and I really got used to the feel...i'm waiting for more kits for the 5.0 to come to the market. What's out there now is way overpriced. The Hellion looks like a great kit but $6k+ is a bit too much to spend...and i dont need 850hp. 600 like the OP said is about what i'm looking for also but i think id be OK with 550.

I'm also not crazy about where they located the turbo. Their twin kit places both under the hood but the single puts in in the lower fender exposed to road hazards.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
But the procharger doesnt go pssshhhhhh when you let off the throttle.
LOL!!!

Go to instagram.com/uprproducts and watch ANY of the videos of my car. Arguably the loudest PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you've ever heard on a street car!

·
Registered
226 Posts
We're running the Hellion Single kit on our 2011 5.0 A6 shop car. We ran 9.74 @ 139 at 14lbs, on UPR suspension and 275 Drag Radials. :)
If you don't mind me asking, how much power is the car making, and are you running stock internals? Or is the motor built?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the single kit run it at 9psi...Have had it on the car for a year or so and 15k miles...No issues...The car made 552hp 597 tq at 7.8 psi in the humid SC heat. I really have no complaints. As long as you are happy at 600 whp you will be fine with this kit as an everyday driver.

Oh and Im still on stock clutch and didn't change the ds till about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the single kit run it at 9psi...Have had it on the car for a year or so and 15k miles...No issues...The car made 552hp 597 tq at 7.8 psi in the humid SC heat. I really have no complaints. As long as you are happy at 600 whp you will be fine with this kit as an everyday driver.

Oh and Im still on stock clutch and didn't change the ds till about 3 months ago.
Really nice numbers there! Any issues cropping up at all with the tranny?? Have read some info. that the synchro teeth are pretty small and would appear to be a weaker area. Also...to still have stock clutch...that's really impressive....you've got a boat load of torque. Guess the life span of your rear tires might be a little shortened :).

Wayne

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went back and forth between the SII PC and Helion single turbo. Went with the procharger, but if I could do it again I'd go Hellion. Never had an sc centri car, but after having a few turbo cars I like their powerband better. Don't get me wrong the car made 584 whp at 7 psi with the procharger and it's fast... but the power is too linear for my tastes.

Oh and the supercharger does have a bypass valve that also blows off when letting off in boost.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the MGW shifter when I first bought my car and I have had no problem with the tranny at all..I have never put sticky tires on my car but have full suspension and got a 1.91 60ft hitting 11.61 in the quarter...and this was on all season generals 480 tread life...Not sure how well the clutch would hold out it If was doing 1.6s or lower...But on the street I can dead hook 2nd as long as I don't smoke up first...My turbo is the 67mm...so if you want some bigger numbers you can do the 76...I wanted to hit 10.99 and that was the only goal for my car...and well if I put some stickies on it and change the clutch I am sure I will get it. Just saving my pennies for the clutch and tires and then I will go for it.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much power is the car making, and are you running stock internals? Or is the motor built?
It has a forged bottom end, we're running 14lbs, and I believe it was just shy of 700rwhp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am planning on the paxton centri sc kit because it is a grand less for the same power and a similar power band to a turbo car.. also I can put that kit on myself, instead of paying for a turbo install! And if I ever had to sell my stang I could return it to stock and sell the paxton!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am planning on the paxton centri sc kit because it is a grand less for the same power and a similar power band to a turbo car.. also I can put that kit on myself, instead of paying for a turbo install! And if I ever had to sell my stang I could return it to stock and sell the paxton!
A turbo and centrifugal might produce similar peak HP numbers but the way the power comes on is going to be very different. Also a turbo will typically make more torque than the centrifugal

·
Registered
226 Posts
Most of what I read is that the Hellion Single kit is not a good system. Turbo kits will make more power over a supercharger, due to the lack of parasitic loss.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also a turbo will typically make more torque than the centrifugal
I'm curious to know why this is true. I've always heard that, and the numbers I've seen tend to back it up, but in the end, forced induction is forced induction, no? Parasitic loss and turbo spool up time aside, "air in" is air in no matter how you cram it in there, so HP for HP why do the turbos tend to produce better torque over Superchargers?

Inquiring minds need to know the technical reasons! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm curious to know why this is true. I've always heard that, and the numbers I've seen tend to back it up, but in the end, forced induction is forced induction, no? Parasitic loss and turbo spool up time aside, "air in" is air in no matter how you cram it in there, so HP for HP why do the turbos tend to produce better torque over Superchargers?

Inquiring minds need to know the technical reasons! :)
Turbocharging vs. Supercharging!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Power bands are no where near the same..Not sure what dyno sheets you were looking at. My car is over 500 hp at 4k rpm and hit 552 peak at 6800 to 7k...it was pretty much flat line at 552 hp from 5k to7k...because only set to 7.8 psi....Not to mention tq hit like a freight train at 3k...Turbo is the only way to go on the street!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts