Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this thread has been made, but my Internet is so slow it takes forever to search. I have 1700 miles on the car and currently have no tick. At what mileage should I change the oil and which oil and weight would you guys recommend me? Thank you guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get rid of the factory oil b4 3000. If you just use your car as a daily driver and change your oil every 3-5K miles, then a synthetic blend is fine.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
Get rid of the factory oil b4 3000. If you just use your car as a daily driver and change your oil every 3-5K miles, then a synthetic blend is fine.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk
I disagree. Leave the factory oil in until the computer tells you to change the oil. You can run the system check to see the remaining oil life %. There is no reason to change the oil before required on modern engines and oils.

As for oil, I've been using 5w20 Ford Synthetic Blend, as the manual does not state to choose a different oil for different climates. I assume the 100-105F temperatures we've been having in Texas and Oklahoma is not as bad as parts of Nevada, California, and Arizona.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree with KN-- Only after the first change, I plan on changing oil every 9000 miles--I use Mobile one synthetic, It works

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd use a good 5w-20 such as M1 or Royal Purple and change the oil according to the owner's manual.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I agree also there is no need to change from what the manual states unless you're operating in extreme conditions. Owners that change more frequently and say things like "cheap insurance" are just making themelves feel good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Agree with the interval, and the 5w-20 oil is fine for all temps according to the manual. One of the reasons Ford (and other mfgrs) choose that oil for their standard is that it helps obtain better mileage. In a HOT climate (the desert southwest in the summer, f'rinstance). I have used 10w 30 in all cars I have had in hot temps...

I have no doubt that the 20 weight has been proven to work, but something about jumping into a car on a 120 degree day with 140 interior temperatures and similar hiway heat just makes me want a bit more viscosity...

Makes me wonder what oil NASCAR teams use when they come to Vegas...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's a follow up question to the original question (which was a "at how many miles should I change the oil"). My question: how long should that oil be in there?

My car rolled off the line in Sept 2010, bought it March 2011 and here I am July 2011. September 2011 is just around the corner, should I change the oil soon just based on the simple reason that the oil has been in the engine for almost a year?

My car has 4,500 miles and the info computer says it has plenty of "life" left. But by the time one would think its time to change the oil (based on the odo or the "life") the oil will have been in there for over a year.

Also, is there any disadvantage to switch to synthetic or semi synthetic so early in the engine's life?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree also there is no need to change from what the manual states unless you're operating in extreme conditions. Owners that change more frequently and say things like "cheap insurance" are just making themelves feel good.
I still remember the thread a day or two ago of the pics of all the metal parts in the guys oil drain pan .

F

·
0 Posts
Sorry if this thread has been made, but my Internet is so slow it takes forever to search. I have 1700 miles on the car and currently have no tick. At what mileage should I change the oil and which oil and weight would you guys recommend me? Thank you guys.
I disagree. Leave the factory oil in until the computer tells you to change the oil. You can run the system check to see the remaining oil life %. There is no reason to change the oil before required on modern engines and oils.

As for oil, I've been using 5w20 Ford Synthetic Blend, as the manual does not state to choose a different oil for different climates. I assume the 100-105F temperatures we've been having in Texas and Oklahoma is not as bad as parts of Nevada, California, and Arizona.
Here's a follow up question to the original question (which was a "at how many miles should I change the oil"). My question: how long should that oil be in there?

My car rolled off the line in Sept 2010, bought it March 2011 and here I am July 2011. September 2011 is just around the corner, should I change the oil soon just based on the simple reason that the oil has been in the engine for almost a year?

My car has 4,500 miles and the info computer says it has plenty of "life" left. But by the time one would think its time to change the oil (based on the odo or the "life") the oil will have been in there for over a year.

Also, is there any disadvantage to switch to synthetic or semi synthetic so early in the engine's life?
Hey Nogi88 and SFCoyote,

This info is provided in your owner manual and like kn7671 stated, it’s what’s recommended. You can find this on page 319: For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center
which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should
perform the engine oil change as indicated by the instrument cluster
message center. The message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE
SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is
needed. The engine oil change service needs to be completed within two
weeks or 500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED
message is displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one
year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life
Monitor™ after each engine oil and filter change; refer to the
Instrument Cluster chapter.
If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles
(8,000 km) from your last oil change.

I hope this helps.:)

Deysha

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Deysha. That helps. Go Tigers!

I hope to make it home this summer for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Maybe Bill Jr. will make it again, this time in a Boss Mustang...I think he was in a shelby mustang last summer.

F

·
0 Posts
Thanks Deysha. That helps. Go Tigers!

I hope to make it home this summer for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Maybe Bill Jr. will make it again, this time in a Boss Mustang...I think he was in a shelby mustang last summer.
Oh man!! I need to go to Michigan in August myself!! I want to go! Glad to hear I was able to help some.:winks (BTW, it’s on the 20th)

Deysha

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The GT holds 8 quarts of oil, yes?

If so, i think i just got bamboozled by Galpin Ford in Southern California. According to the sheet, they replaced the filter and 6 quarts of oil. I read on a thread a couple months back that some dealers were skimping on oil by not replacing the full 8 quarts. :scratchchin

·
Registered
380 Posts
The GT holds 8 quarts of oil, yes?

If so, i think i just got bamboozled by Galpin Ford in Southern California. According to the sheet, they replaced the filter and 6 quarts of oil. I read on a thread a couple months back that some dealers were skimping on oil by not replacing the full 8 quarts. :scratchchin
The fill with a filter change should be 8 quarts. Seems like most of the DIY guys have been reporting getting the full 8 in and being right between the lines on the dipstick. I would check at your oil right away and make the necessary visit back to that dealer. They could have always used 8 and reported the wrong amount on the order but I would certainly find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts