Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 GT transmission issue

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2011 auto GT recently and am starting to run into a problem when accelerating from less than 5 mph (never when I'm starting from a start). Only happens when I try to just barely give it some gas, the revs will go up but the car just rolls, then probably a second or two later it kicks in with a jerk.

I am well aware of the delay when really getting on the gas and this is way longer than that, plus the tachometer registers the higher revs before there is any acceleration. My main concern is it seems to be happening more frequently as time goes by, up to 2-3 times a week now.

Going to try to take it to a dealer soon but I am concerned about not being able to replicate it at all.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Edit: Forgot to add no mods done

#4 ·
The prior owner may have put a high stall speed torque converter into the car.

#5 ·
My bone stock 2012 GT with 6AT does this too. If you take it in and they find a fix, let me know so I can get mine fixed too. Pretty annoying is near stop/go traffic jams, or rolling stops on back roads.

On my transmission, they already replaced the transmission pump and convertor at 4000-miles for a whining noise at idle in gear, and this did not correct the shifting issue on mine, so this is likely not converter related.

G
#8 ·
I bought a used 2011 auto GT recently and am starting to run into a problem when accelerating from less than 5 mph (never when I'm starting from a start). Only happens when I try to just barely give it some gas, the revs will go up but the car just rolls, then probably a second or two later it kicks in with a jerk.
I am well aware of the delay when really getting on the gas and this is way longer than that, plus the tachometer registers the higher revs before there is any acceleration. My main concern is it seems to be happening more frequently as time goes by, up to 2-3 times a week now.

Going to try to take it to a dealer soon but I am concerned about not being able to replicate it at all.
Hey djp2311,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible to have this concern diagnosed. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to PM me.

My bone stock 2012 GT with 6AT does this too. If you take it in and they find a fix, let me know so I can get mine fixed too. Pretty annoying is near stop/go traffic jams, or rolling stops on back roads.
On my transmission, they already replaced the transmission pump and convertor at 4000-miles for a whining noise at idle in gear, and this did not correct the shifting issue on mine, so this is likely not converter related.
Let me get this paint concern escalated for you, kn7671. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can forward it to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha

#9 ·
Was told to just come in to the dealer at my covenience and they will do a road test with me to try to duplicate the problem and I'm out of luck if they can't. Considering it happens at most 2-3 times a week I'm guessing this is just gonna be a waste of gas but I guess we will see, gonna go in tomorrow.

I'm already feeling like I'm gonna get screwed over on this, might be better to just dump this car before it becomes a noticeable problem to save myself the headache and time.

#10 ·
You can drive it more likely the in the same conditions than the guy can. Have him watch you drive.

#11 ·
Well took it in this morning and wasn't able to repeat the problem. The guy told me to drive it until it happens often enough to replicate it and bring it back in. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I was able to pick up the paint pen I ordered, they said they would call me when it arrived but never did, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

As an aside I'm 26 and look 26, while we were out the guy says "I wish my Dad had bought me something this nice when I was young."

I'm sure plenty people think it but I didn't think the first person to say it to my face would be an employee at a Ford dealership. I informed him that I pay for it all on my own in the most polite way I could but it got under my skin.

#12 ·
Do you mean like when you are rolling up to a stop sign and you don't 100% completly come to a stop, then you give it say 1/4 throttle and it takes it maybe a fraction of a second to go into gear and it kind of jerks if you give it a little more than "usual" gas?

#13 ·
It's usually more when I try to give it as little gas as possible, like driving around parking lots, I wanna get moving from a roll but not get moving fast.

The RPMs will go up (and continue to climb since I always feel like maybe I'm not giving it enough so roll into the gas more) but I just continue rolling for a second or two then it kicks in and I feel a jerk.

Definitely more than a fraction of a second though, I've had enough time to comment to my wife that "it's doing it again" and have her look over.

#14 ·
Hmm. Mine sort of does that but it's very very brief and I've never thought it to be an issue. Just read this and thought I'd ask. Mine only does it when it's right between finding 1st or 2nd and it'll only do it if it finds first. Like rev matching like u would in a manual. Sounds like yours may be something different all together. Hope u get it fixed. Good luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
My auto does it too sometimes. I just chalk it up to the auto tranny and the torque converter. Basically, when you're coasting to a stop, the torque converter is off. When you touch the throttle again, it takes a heartbeat to achieve lockup again. So it's kind of jerky at times. To be honest, I've kind of gotten used to it now .. lol.

#16 ·
Hey guys, just searched Google tonight for the same issue and wound up here.

My 2011 GT auto does it too...usually when I pull away from the first stop sign in the neighborhood while the car is still cold. Once she warms up, the problem generally goes away. Given this, I would have a hard time replicating at the dealer...

#20 · (Edited)
Had this issue on my 2012 V6 Auto, and again with my 2012 GT Auto. Took the GT to the dealer, could not duplicate. Feels like the torque converter doesn't lock up quickly (or at a low rpm) enough to get the car going and then once the rpm gets high enough, the liquid lock of the converter becomes effective and hence the slip and bump feel. Actually a bit ridiculous considering how long automatic transmissions have been around. Have to say the auto transmission on the mustangs is quite disappointing considering the two I have had in a two year period have had the slipping problem mentioned in this thread and shift so rough.

G
#22 ·
Hi candyredpony,

Let me get this escalated for you. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and the concern your vehicle is having so I can forward it to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.