Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of starting a fight, I thought I would ask about break in preferences. Some people will say beat on it, others will say drive it like you normally would and still others will say to take it easy. What is everyone's preferred method and why?

When I bought my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 I drove it slightly daintier than normal. My engine also didn't seem to leave break in period till 5k-10k and that was per my oil analysis.

·
Registered
109 Posts
These cars and most newer cars should not need a break in period.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just follow the owners manual.................

I don't redline at every shift, but in 600+ miles it has seen redlline multiple
times, just don't keep it there. Vary the rpms, and hit it hard every so often.
You won't hurt it, and this makes sure the rings are "seated". You do need to push it,
trouble with that it you want to do it more and more. Once she hits 1k for mileage, anything goes................

..................drive it like you stole it..............................

·
Registered
344 Posts
2011 'Stang Break-In Period

Hey thezfunk, I agree with raidernixon, these cars should not need a formal 'break-in' period although I have tried not to hit the brakes real hard and long for the first couple hundred miles...otherwise just this morning I ran a couple runs from 35 MPH up to 100 MPH with little effort and never exceeded 6,000 RPM's and I have been altering my RPM's to better seat the piston rings and the rest of the engine. My car has only 150 miles on it so far. I don't think it may be necessary I just do it out of habit for a new engine, tranny and brakes. Hope this helps and good luck with your new 'Stang! I sure love mine that's for sure! :D

I truly believe my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 that I paid $33K for is just as quick as my 2010 Shelby GT500 that I used to own which I paid $52K for...for the price/cost of the 2011 GT 5.0 it's an absolutely GREAT performing car that is VERY comparable to the Shelby GT500! Have fun with your new beast!:)

Take care! Jack :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
220 Posts
PostalWorker is closer than most.. drive it hard .. drive it easy.. mix it up.. except FORGET 600 miles or some OTHER arbitrary number. The key "No constant rpms for extended periods". Redline romps can happen from time of delivery just remember cool off periods. There should be enough evidence of the 5.0 being run hard without seeing later power levels dropping off. Look at Evolutions 5.0 or any others. Race and street engines are run-in all the time on dynos. To establish tune, leaks and potential problems. Be more concerned with glazing the flywheel or brakes. Enjoy your new 5.0 and 3.7s.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The owners manual says -

"BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE​
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing
extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles
(1,600 km) before towing a trailer or before performance/competition
conditions. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to​
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See​
Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications​
chapter for more information on oil

usage."

I intend to lay off full hard full-throttle runs for the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then, continuing along the same line, should the brake pads be bedded in like a new pair?
I bedded in the brakes according to the procedure on StopTech's website.

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

I don't have the Brembos and this car stops and stops fast. I just about sent my passenger through the windshield while doing the 60mph to 10mph slow downs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, I'll try this on a new one.

The owners manual says -

"BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE​
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing
extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles
(1,600 km) before towing a trailer or before performance/competition
conditions. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to​
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See​
Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications​
chapter for more information on oil

usage."

I intend to lay off full hard full-throttle runs for the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm mixed on this. I baby my vehicles for at least the first 1000 miles. I've never, every had an engine issue that wasn't the fault of the manufacturer (one Chrysler with a Mitsubishi engine). That said, I used to race motorcycles and jet skis. I used to run a full race on brand new engines. They always ran well also, until I blew them up, ususally for other reasons.

To each his/her own.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Proper break in procedure: Slowly cruise around town, not getting on it too hard. Keep cruising until you find a mullet in a new SS. Then you open her up, let her have her first meal of camaro. After that, the break in period is complete, drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
just listen to what ford says: go 100 miles before using extended WOT. dont track it for 1000 miles. in between 100-1000 just drive it normally as occasionally open her up and give some high rpms. the key is to vary the engine speed. as long as you don't take a road trip for 1000 miles on cruise control you should be fine..even if you did a road trip for 1000 miles you should be fine. engines are made quite well today and dont need a break in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
5.0 break-in period

At the risk of starting a fight, I thought I would ask about break in preferences. Some people will say beat on it, others will say drive it like you normally would and still others will say to take it easy. What is everyone's preferred method and why?

When I bought my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 I drove it slightly daintier than normal. My engine also didn't seem to leave break in period till 5k-10k and that was per my oil analysis.
What I've always done with my cars over the last 45 years of driving is as follows:
1) I go easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles and avoid hard stops and stops over RR tracks in order to seat the brake pads properly.
2) I drive normally for the first 1000 miles and avoid constant highway speeds, drag racing and high RPM's . The helps the piston rings seat more properly.
3) After 1000 miles I have the engine oil and filter drained and replaced. This gets any start-up and break-in metal particles flushed out of the engine.

I've found in the past that Ford V8 engine are fully broken-in and loosened up within 6000-10000 miles. Some say don't bother, that its not required any longer. But If you want to keep your Mustang in excellent condition over the long haul, then its better to err on the side of caution. Its just how much do you really care about your new car? That's my plan anyway.
423REED

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, since most people are saying to vary the rpm's, how is the best way to do that in an auto that shifts in the same rpm range every time?
Accelerate normally and slowly. Varrey your accerleration/speed instead of keeping it at a constant speed. I believe there is a way to turn off 6th gear (check the manual) which should allow you run the gamit on RPM's in 5th gear. After the first 100 miles drive normally but don't use cruse control untill you hit 1000 and get an oil change.

Just my guesses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, since most people are saying to vary the rpm's, how is the best way to do that in an auto that shifts in the same rpm range every time?
Since I drive highway to and from work, I just drop my automatic into 3 for a bit every once in a while...even at 65 mph, it's only hitting 4k rpm...I don't keep it there long, just a few miles...but figure that certainly is avoiding running at the same rpms :cooldude:.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've already used cruise control for about 300 miles already.. Has the damage been done already?

I doubt there's any damage. I believe the intent is not to hit the highway and travel 300 straight miles on cruise at the exact same speed/rpms.

Even on cruise, your rpms will likely vary unless you are doing the exact same speed.

To me, the important part is not running it like a dragster everytime you get in it (when it's new:gringreen)...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts