Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some tips for about 5 months of winter storage in a non-heated garage in a climate that averages probably 25-35 degrees during the winter months? I also will generally not have access on any type of normal schedule to start the motor or anything like that.

Here is what I currently know:

-Got my car cover
-Fill gas tank up, add stabilizer
-Change oil before storage
-Wash real good before storage
-Disconnect battery

Where I need a few pointers is I don't have the equipment to jack the car up and have it on jackstands. Should I have the wheels on little pieces of carpet, or wood? Also, someone told me to actually remove the battery and put it inside for the winter, as a battery sitting outside all winter, even disconnected, can lose its potency. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it, or even anything else at all that might help keep my stang safe and sound all winter while being fresh in the spring.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yes take the battery out keep it at home. If you cant jack the car up Carpets works way better for the tires than wood more so so they dont rot out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, carpet it is, and the battery will be going inside...thanks for the tip, much appreciated

·
Registered
851 Posts
You also may want to add some fuel stabilizer to your gas if you are leaving gas in the tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Instead of disconnecting the battery. buy a Automotive - Batterytender.com, it will keep your battery in top condition during storage. Also, on nice salt-free winter days, (if you can) take the car out for a spin for a half hour, (getting the oil and coolant up to operating temperature) then just top up the fuel tank. Much better than just letting the car sit for 5 months.

Resist the urge to start the engine unless you are going to drive the car and get up to operating temps.

I've been doing this routine with my motorcycles for years and they're always ready to ride when the spring finally arrives.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Here's what I do for my Mach 1 every year (I'm in Minnesota):

Wash, wax exterior and clean interior and under the hood
Fill with gas (less chance for condensation in a full tank)
Add Stabil to the gas tank
Drive it around a little bit to mix in the Stabil properly
Turn off everything (radio, AC, etc.)
Disconnect battery
Hook up a trickle charger to the battery
Put the car cover on
Never set anything on the car
Change insurance to storage only

Then about once a month or so I'll take the cover off, unhook the charger, hook up the battery start the car and let it run fo 10 minutes or so, revving it every once in a while.

Then I pack it away again for another month or so...

Then in the spring I hook everything back up, get real insurance, change the oil, check the tire pressure and burn off that first tank of gas.

I don't take it out until after they have swept the sand off of the streets though...

Seems to be working out well so far. My garage is heated, so it never gets below 45 all winter long.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Instead of disconnecting the battery. buy a Automotive - Batterytender.com, it will keep your battery in top condition during storage.
+1 on the battery tender. I always had good luck pulling my battery and bringing it in the house for the winter with my '02 GT and my Trans Am, but w/ all the new technology and electronics on the '11, I'm going w/ a tender to avoid even disconnecting the battery let alone pulling completely out of the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i'd rather not take the battery out if I don't have to...another question then: which battery tender is the right one to get for the 2011 GT? And basically, let me get this straight, you hook this up to the battery even while its still connected to the car, plug in the tender and its good to go all winter? Even on the few nights it drops below zero, that tender is going to keep that battery fresh? If this is the case, I will buy one.

Also, thanks all for all the tips so far.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Truthfully, if you are going to put a trickle charger on it, leave it connected, then your car will not have to relearn everything in spring and saves time on resetting the radio stations. Also, putting a trickle charger on it you can leave it off except for a few days every two weeks or so to get the battery up to 100%.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I want to store my Gt in my garage all winter too up here in canada where it can ge5t -30celcius and colder...I have a a battery charger with a maintenance mode...can I hook it up to the maint.mode and leave the battery connected all winter long??

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
also the car is or will be under a car cover so do I just leave the hood open a bit with the charge hooked up and the cover over top??

·
Registered
389 Posts
yeah i'd rather not take the battery out if I don't have to...another question then: which battery tender is the right one to get for the 2011 GT? And basically, let me get this straight, you hook this up to the battery even while its still connected to the car, plug in the tender and its good to go all winter? Even on the few nights it drops below zero, that tender is going to keep that battery fresh? If this is the case, I will buy one.

Also, thanks all for all the tips so far.
You want the "Battery Tender Plus". 12 volt, 1.25 amp. You can hook it up with either the spring clips or install the included fused connector wire w/plug so you dont even have to open up the hood.

I'm using the plug. I ran the wire over the rubber molding between the the firewall and hood so the small plug is accessable in the cowl area by the windsheild.

The Battery Tender can be left on all winter and will have no problem keeping the battery charged in very ciold weather. It has a pretty sophisticated multi-level charger to provide just the right amount of current. This is esp. important on small (but expensive) AGM batteries on motorcycles.

Frequently Asked Questions - Batterytender.com

FWIW I bought mine from this vendor on Amazon... Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Best price I found and fast free shipping. (I have no connection with this vendor)

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Instead of disconnecting the battery. buy a Automotive - Batterytender.com, it will keep your battery in top condition during storage. Also, on nice salt-free winter days, (if you can) take the car out for a spin for a half hour, (getting the oil and coolant up to operating temperature) then just top up the fuel tank. Much better than just letting the car sit for 5 months.

Resist the urge to start the engine unless you are going to drive the car and get up to operating temps.

I've been doing this routine with my motorcycles for years and they're always ready to ride when the spring finally arrives.
I agree, and you can also leave your security system on all winter. You can get a battery tender on sale at harbor freight for $3.99.

I have one on my Super Bee, my boat, my harley and my jet ski. I use them year round. You always have a battery at full charge, ready to go.

·
Registered
267 Posts
also the car is or will be under a car cover so do I just leave the hood open a bit with the charge hooked up and the cover over top??
Put the tender on the battery and run the wires out the the bottom. Simple. No need to interfere with your cover.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The best storage would be moving to Florida.

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You want the "Battery Tender Plus". 12 volt, 1.25 amp. You can hook it up with either the spring clips or install the included fused connector wire w/plug so you dont even have to open up the hood.

I'm using the plug. I ran the wire over the rubber molding between the the firewall and hood so the small plug is accessable in the cowl area by the windsheild.

The Battery Tender can be left on all winter and will have no problem keeping the battery charged in very ciold weather. It has a pretty sophisticated multi-level charger to provide just the right amount of current. This is esp. important on small (but expensive) AGM batteries on motorcycles.

Frequently Asked Questions - Batterytender.com

FWIW I bought mine from this vendor on Amazon... Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Best price I found and fast free shipping. (I have no connection with this vendor)
Awesome information, looks like I'm all set up to order one then. I'm going to give it a try this winter. Only have a few weeks left til I gotta put her away (sad times). And about Florida, lol, good roads, good weather, salty air, old people...gotta really weigh the options, lol!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered the Battery Tender Plus 12V, thanks again for the heads up on what appears to be an amazing product.

·
Registered
909 Posts
running it for 10 minutes does more harm than good.

Here's what I do for my Mach 1 every year (I'm in Minnesota):

Wash, wax exterior and clean interior and under the hood
Fill with gas (less chance for condensation in a full tank)
Add Stabil to the gas tank
Drive it around a little bit to mix in the Stabil properly
Turn off everything (radio, AC, etc.)
Disconnect battery
Hook up a trickle charger to the battery
Put the car cover on
Never set anything on the car
Change insurance to storage only

Then about once a month or so I'll take the cover off, unhook the charger, hook up the battery start the car and let it run fo 10 minutes or so, revving it every once in a while.

Then I pack it away again for another month or so...

Then in the spring I hook everything back up, get real insurance, change the oil, check the tire pressure and burn off that first tank of gas.

I don't take it out until after they have swept the sand off of the streets though...

Seems to be working out well so far. My garage is heated, so it never gets below 45 all winter long.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.