Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know it is very simple to get the Auto headlight feature in a vehicle that did not come with it stock. You must simply change out the switch. It was mentioned that the only drawback being that you would not be able to adjust the delay, since it isnt built into the messege center like vehilces that came factory equipped. Follow the steps below and you should be able to set the delay timer for any amount of time up to 3 minutes.

NOTE: The time delay can be programmed through the message center using the message center buttons (if equipped) or using the following steps.

NOTE: Steps 2 through 5 must be carried out within a 10-second period.

1. Start with the ignition switch off and the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position.

2. Place the headlamp switch in the OFF position.

3. Place the ignition switch in the RUN position.

4. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

5. Place the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position. The exterior lamps turn on at this point.

6. Wait the desired amount of time and place the headlamp switch in the OFF position (maximum of 3 minutes). The exterior lamps turn off and the autolamp time delay is now set.

Worked like a charm for me. Took all of five minutes to swap switches and program it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
532 Posts
As many of you know it is very simple to get the Auto headlight feature in a vehicle that did not come with it stock. You must simply change out the switch. It was mentioned that the only drawback being that you would not be able to adjust the delay, since it isnt built into the messege center like vehilces that came factory equipped. Follow the steps below and you should be able to set the delay timer for any amount of time up to 3 minutes.

NOTE: The time delay can be programmed through the message center using the message center buttons (if equipped) or using the following steps.

1. Start with the ignition switch off and the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position.

5. Place the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position. The exterior lamps turn on at this point.

6. Wait the desired amount of time and place the headlamp switch in the OFF position (maximum of 3 minutes). The exterior lamps turn off and the autolamp time delay is now set.

Worked like a charm for me. Took all of five minutes to swap switches and program it. :bigthumbsup
Thanks for that!! My switch should be arriving today.

B

·
0 Posts
Does this show up as a menu option then? Or do you just set the time by your watch?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

FWIW, YMMV on this. I was aware of the manual adjustment method and tried it several times when I put my switch in. It did NOT work on my car. So there are apparently differences between cars. I'm guessing some part changed at some point that either allowed the manual method to work or stopped it from working for cars that did not come with the option.

Mine is a November 2011 build Performance Package car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm?

FWIW, YMMV on this. I was aware of the manual adjustment method and tried it several times when I put my switch in. It did NOT work on my car. So there are apparently differences between cars. I'm guessing some part changed at some point that either allowed the manual method to work or stopped it from working for cars that did not come with the option.

Mine is a November 2011 build Performance Package car.

Well I understand your concern. I just went out and double checked the system to make sure it was functioning as I had specified and it still has the 9 Second delay i had programed it for. If I could make a suggestion. In order to make sure that you are performing the steps properly do so when it is still daytime. I say this because the Auto feature will not illuminate the headlights during the day. That being said, on step #5 when you switch back over to "Auto" you will know whether it is going to work as to whether or not the headlamps illuminate and your gauges dim. If you do this during the night then the headlamps are going to illuminate anyways. I shot a video of the 9 second delay and i can post it later tonight if need be. Hope it will work for you. I would be SHOCKED if my 100A (Most base model) mustang can do it and your performance package mustang can't.

·
Registered
86 Posts
does the base mustang have the light sensor on the dash to recognize when its dark enough to turn the lights on?

or is the autolamps feature where it leaves ur headlights on for a few seconds after u get out and close the door?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rep

does the base mustang have the light sensor on the dash to recognize when its dark enough to turn the lights on?

or is the autolamps feature where it leaves ur headlights on for a few seconds after u get out and close the door?

The base mustang does have the sensor built in to the center of the dash (at least mine does) so it means that when it gets dark the headlamps illuminate (when it gets brighter out they shut off) and when you turn the car off they automatically turn off (after the delay).

·
Registered
558 Posts

I ordered a new switch last night and I'm waiting for it to get here. How did you replace the switch? I've heard of people taking the whole headlight assembly out and I've heard of people pullin just the switch out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a new switch last night and I'm waiting for it to get here. How did you replace the switch? I've heard of people taking the whole headlight assembly out and I've heard of people pullin just the switch out.
In order to replace the switch I had to remove two 7mm bolts holding the plastic panel located under the steering column. Then I had to remove one more 7mm bolt holding the rectangle panel that fits around the switch itself. After that I pinched the three spots on the original switch and it popped out. I disconnected the old one from the available wire connector and reinstalled the new one. That simple. :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long?

Does this show up as a menu option then? Or do you just set the time by your watch?
You don't get any indication from the car as to how long it has been. You would have to time it with a watch as you said. As soon as you flip it back to the off position the time is set there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
In order to replace the switch I had to remove two 7mm bolts holding the plastic panel located under the steering column. Then I had to remove one more 7mm bolt holding the rectangle panel that fits around the switch itself. After that I pinched the three spots on the original switch and it popped out. I disconnected the old one from the available wire connector and reinstalled the new one. That simple. :bigthumbsup
Awesome! Great post can't wait to get mine. I leave my lights on all the time now :grinroll:

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got to do this...thanks OP for posting the delay instructions...now to order that switch!!!

:worship

Later...Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
This post was great, practical info. Just adjusted my delay time to about 60 seconds. Just enough time for me to exit the car and get into my house. Nice to do it in the light. My build date is 8/10 and I'm using the headlamp switch that came with my Starkey foglight kit.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Farmer:
I went to my ford dealer today and ordered the part with the numbers you have on the box in your picture, but the parts manager wanted to argue me down about how it wouldn't work because the wiring is completely different. Also, the description in Ford's computer of the part with that number on your box stated that it was auto headlights WITH fog lights, and the manager told me that there was no switch available that had auto headlights WITHOUT fog lights. :nono:

I went ahead and ordered it anyways because I don't trust Ford to have the correct descriptions after a passenger-driver side window louver mixup, but I'm really hoping it'll work with my base mustang :/

I ordered motorcraft part SW6659- ford part # 9R3Z-11654-CA even though the parts people ASSURED me it wouldn't work :shigrin

·
Registered
136 Posts
^ correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a post on here a few weeks ago with a company that had auto switches for fords w/o headlights. I'm trying to find the post/link now but I cant seem to. I'd like to put auto headlights in mine too so let me know how it works out for you! :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
^ correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a post on here a few weeks ago with a company that had auto switches for fords w/o headlights. I'm trying to find the post/link now but I cant seem to. I'd like to put auto headlights in mine too so let me know how it works out for you! :)
Without foglights you mean? Honestly I don't see how it would not work- if anything, we would be set if we were to get a foglight kit in the future. What's really the worst that could happen if we were to set the switch to foglights without having foglights? :yelwacko:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts