Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting some drag radials and was looking for some advice/input on which route to go? I currently have the stock 19" wheels but was considering getting (2) light weight 18x10s or (2) 15x10s...

For the 15's, I believe I would have to get sway bar relocation brackets, which is no prob, but would I need to make any mods to go with the 18x10? Seems like the 15" setup is less expensive, but aside from price and appearance, what would be the difference between the two setups performance wise? I'm thinking the 18's look more street and less drag car, but the 18" tires cost alot more.

Looking for pros and cons and any advantages or disadvantages either way? I appreciate any and all info/opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone tell me if Sport Star 5-Spoke Wheel (15 x 10" with 6.5" backspacing) will fit on the 2011 Mustang GT (no Brembos)? They'll be wearing MT P275/50R15 (26'' x 11.5'' - 15'')...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got 2 factory 18" stock wheels from New Car Take Offs in Indiana and bought 2 Mickey Thompson 265/40 18 drag radials.. Works great?

·
Registered
988 Posts
15" wheels will fit on the back of the '11s? I thought the smallest that would fit were 16"s?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15" wheels will fit on the back of the '11s? I thought the smallest that would fit were 16"s?
I ended up installing 15x10" Sport Stars with 6.5" backspacing. I needed to install rear sway bar relocation brackets to clear the swaybar. Also I needed to add a wheel spacer to stay off the calipers.

If I had to do over, I would've gotten 7.5" backspacing as they currently sit 1-1.5" outside the wheel wells.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I ended up installing 15x10" Sport Stars with 6.5" backspacing. I needed to install rear sway bar relocation brackets to clear the swaybar. Also I needed to add a wheel spacer to stay off the calipers.

If I had to do over, I would've gotten 7.5" backspacing as they currently sit 1-1.5" outside the wheel wells.
Is it maybe 16" is as small as you can go w/o relocating the rear sway bar or using a spacer?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it maybe 16" is as small as you can go w/o relocating the rear sway bar or using a spacer?
Not maybe, that is a matter of fact regarding the sway bar relocation; 16" clears it. With respects to the calipers, the clearance is fine as far as wheel diameter, but the clearance off the face of the wheel might just be a Sport Star thing. Wouldn't seem to be avoided by changing the diameter of the wheel as it is the material between the rim and the center (the radials) which contacts the caliper.

I believe the selection of wheels and tires is better with the 15" size.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Not maybe, that is a matter of fact regarding the sway bar relocation; 16" clears it. With respects to the calipers, the clearance is fine as far as wheel diameter, but the clearance off the face of the wheel might just be a Sport Star thing. Wouldn't seem to be avoided by changing the diameter of the wheel as it is the material between the rim and the center (the radials) which contacts the caliper.

I believe the selection of wheels and tires is better with the 15" size.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.