Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting some drag radials and was looking for some advice/input on which route to go? I currently have the stock 19" wheels but was considering getting (2) light weight 18x10s or (2) 15x10s...

For the 15's, I believe I would have to get sway bar relocation brackets, which is no prob, but would I need to make any mods to go with the 18x10? Seems like the 15" setup is less expensive, but aside from price and appearance, what would be the difference between the two setups performance wise? I'm thinking the 18's look more street and less drag car, but the 18" wheels/tires cost alot more.

Also, what type or rear back spacing would I need as I have the car lowered 1.5". Is there enough clearance towards the inside of the wheel well/hardware to take 6.5" backspacing? Should I be looking at 5.5" back spacing, but will that clear the body work with the 1.5" drop?

So far I'm leaning towards the following:
- Jegs Sport Star 15x10 w/ 6.5" back spacing
- Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial - P275/50R15 (26'' x 11.5'' - 15'')
- Steeda rear sway bar relocation brackets.
- (is there anything else I would need?)

Looking for pros and cons and any advantages or disadvantages either way? I appreciate any and all info/opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would pick the 15" for the weight, plus you will have more sidewall on the tire, that will help the tire bite because the sidewall will flex more compared to a low profile 18"

Not sure on the backspace, mabey measure what your stock wheels are, and try to visulize with a tape measure, with your wheel off, how close your clearances are in the well

·
Registered
60 Posts
Before you buy anything my best guess is that the 15 inch wheels will NOT clear the rear brakes! Get 18 inch wheels or you are going to be in trouble.

I have 285x40x18 nitto T5R drag radials on my 2011 GT

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Judging by your sig, it looks like you took care of the wheel situation... but I'll mention you should pick up a set of upper and lower control arms like these ones from UPR: 05-10 Mustang Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package They are the cure for wheel hop on hard launches! Those are the ones for the 05-10, but they have a kit for the 2011 and it's on sale for $199. If you call the boys at www.uprproducts.com and tell them I told you about that price, they'll honor it. It's a great deal, especially considering that they have a LIFETIME GUARANTEE!! They're made of tubular chrome-moly with polyurethane bushings, so they'll last forever...

I'll attach a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
To the OP, if you are still on here.... how did the Jegs Sport Star wheels work out for you? I am looking at the same 15x10 wheels with 6.5" backspacing and the MT tires from Jegs. Looks like the pair is around $690 shipped which is about $300 less than what I paid for Race Stars with MTs about 8 months ago. How is the quality o the wheels???

TIA,
Zach

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got my new Jegs wheels and tires in. Installed them on the car and they will nto fit straight up. They just barely are hitting two small raised spots on the calipers so they locked down the wheels from turning! I am going to put them back on and see how much of a spacer I would need to use to get these to clear. I'm hoping about a 1/4" spacer will be all that is needed but I won't know until I try to install them again. More to follow.....

I just sent the OP an email regarding his setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.