Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hit the dyno for the second time today. The 2nd/3rd set of numbers reflects a Steeda Cold Air Intake, a Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back, and a Custom Tune (Steeda and Bama). The car was started in 1st, manually shifted to 2nd, then manually shifted into 3rd, then floored. Not sure if that's the most accepted route or not, but at least it's consistent within the runs... USP Motorsports has a Dynojet 224x.

Stock:
347.9 rwhp
327.7 ft-lbs

CAI, Cat-Back, Steeda Tune:
377.9 rwhp
349.0 ft-lbs

CAI, Cat-Back, Bama Tune:
383.5 rwhp
362.3 ft-lbs

The overall numbers were lower than I expected, but the increase from stock seems alright. Any thoughts? Would the numbers be any different if it was dynoed in another method/procedure? I appreciate any input you can offer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Isn't it supposed to by dyno'ed in 4th? :headscratch: That could have had something to do with the low numbers. Someone with more knowledge about this will chime in shortly, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
You need to have a dyno lock file to lock the converter and lock the car in gear, which the dyno shop didn't have. The numbers that you have really are only about 1.5-2% on the low side. You might have hit 390RWHP or so with our tune. I wouldn't really be too worried. We have tested dynoing the car in 3rd, 4th and 5th back-to-back with datalogging and the difference in the runs were minimal.

What this does, is shows you the difference between each regardless what the final output. It's consistently 1.5-2% low across all 3 runs.

As for the results, they're right in line with what I would have expected. :bigthumbsup

Did you get wideband air/fuel ratio?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bama says to dyno the AT in 5th; Brenspeed says 4th. Bama will send you a free tune that locks out 6th gear for your dyno pull. Was your traction control all the way off (6 seconds holding the button with your foot on the brake)? The numbers don't seem that low to me with drivetrain loss of the AT and no true 1:1 gear in it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You need to have a dyno lock file to lock the converter and lock the car in gear, which the dyno shop didn't have. The numbers that you have really are only about 1.5-2% on the low side. You might have hit 390RWHP or so with our tune. I wouldn't really be too worried. We have tested dynoing the car in 3rd, 4th and 5th back-to-back with datalogging and the difference in the runs were minimal.

What this does, is shows you the difference between each regardless what the final output. It's consistently 1.5-2% low across all 3 runs.

As for the results, they're right in line with what I would have expected. :bigthumbsup

Dang dude, you're the Mustang genie. Somebody says Bama and dyno, and poof, you appear. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
568 Posts
Take it to the track and get some DR's. If your running low 12,s you know your putting out more hp. Most auto's with a tune,CAI and DR's in good air are running 12.1-12.2

·
Registered
439 Posts
How does the car feel compared to the way it was stock?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
New 6R80 6-speed automatic gear ratios:

1st 4.17
2nd 2.34
3rd 1.52
4th 1.14
5th 0.87
6th 0.69

Why pull it in fourth? To make an extra few horsepower and torque?

Luckily, we've tested 3rd-5th same day, same dyno, etc. and seen not much of a difference, especially 4th to 5th. Like I said we're talking 1-2% max.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does the car feel compared to the way it was stock?
The car feels much stronger. When I first did it, I was floored by the difference. Now, the shock has worn off, so I'm not surprised by it, but it is very noticeable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried that back in August at a Free Dyno session at UTI in Downingtown back in August, got a Blistering 72HP!! Quite Emabrassing!
For me, the car was started in 1st then built up the revs, manually shifted to 2nd, then manually shifted into 3rd, then floored.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to have a dyno lock file to lock the converter and lock the car in gear, which the dyno shop didn't have.

Is this dyno lock file to interface with the car directly, or something that is interfaced with the car through the dyno control/software? I mean, is this for the dyno operator, or something that I control by retuning prior to a dyno session? I swear I'm not stupid, just ignorant on all this stuff for the time being. :winks

As far as the air/fuel ratio: It's in the graph, I just have no idea what it means... It's below, any info you can educate me on, I'd surely appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The dyno lock file is something that we would actually provide you with for use just on the dyno. It basically keeps the car from down-shifting or up-shifting once it reaches 4th or 5th gear (your preference). You can literally part throttle through the gears and then floor it. It will also lock the converter (because the power/torque will be a little low if the converter isn't locked).

The way that they have the air/fuel ratio graph flattened, you cant really see it in detail - but it looks like all your tunes are running 12.5-13.0 at WOT, which is fine.

Looks like you're in good shape! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dyno lock file is something that we would actually provide you with for use just on the dyno. It basically keeps the car from down-shifting or up-shifting once it reaches 4th or 5th gear (your preference). You can literally part throttle through the gears and then floor it. It will also lock the converter (because the power/torque will be a little low if the converter isn't locked).

The way that they have the air/fuel ratio graph flattened, you cant really see it in detail - but it looks like all your tunes are running 12.5-13.0 at WOT, which is fine.

Looks like you're in good shape! :bigthumbsup
Thanks, I'll get in touch with you about that file...

Do you (or anyone) have any idea what I'd be looking at for 1/8th mile runs? I've never been on a dragstrip and have seen a wide variation of stock and modified 1/8th mile ETs and speeds... I'm heading there tonight and just want some sort of idea of what to expect... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Thanks, I'll get in touch with you about that file...

Do you (or anyone) have any idea what I'd be looking at for 1/8th mile runs? I've never been on a dragstrip and have seen a wide variation of stock and modified 1/8th mile ETs and speeds... I'm heading there tonight and just want some sort of idea of what to expect... Thanks.
I'd have to look at our old slip, I can post Monday...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.