Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as you probably already know Bama Chips and American Muscle have joined forces. What I wanted to know is are their tunes legit? In the Youtube Video of Bama tuning the 11 Grabber Blue GT, is that I never saw the car on the dyno if you look in the video the rear tires are off the car, and there are no rollers underneath? Is there other ways of dynoing a car I am confused I thought the car had to be on the rollers, they have a tool cabinet trying to hide the rear wheels! Is this legit, or are they hiding something, I wanted to buy a tune off of them tonight, but am wondering if their tune is not as good as the others such as SCT, Evolution, Lethal Performance, I wonder how theirs stacks up to the other guys? I want to also get a tune from lethal performance also, Brenspeed and JDM need to catch up since they have not released a tune yet, both are great tuners, but this year looks like the other companies are playing hard ball and getting their tunes out there quicker! Let me know your thoughts and suggestions to this! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whats wrong with this thread it says posted 5 minutes ago and I posted it 2 hrs ago, and still no responses!

·
Registered
170 Posts
looked like a portable dyno that attaches directly to the axle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For what it's worth, I ordered the SCT tuner from them last week. Should arrive soon. Not planning to dyno the car, but happy to provide any feedback if you want it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How reliable are those I wonder about giving accurate ratings? How come Bama is getting a little less power than Evolution and other tuners? Bama is saying with Stock airbox and just tune they picked up 16HP and 26 TQ. SCT Claims 28 RWHP and 34 RWTQ. I did not think a Tuner like SCT would be able to beat some of these other guys, who have been tuning a long time, like bama or Evolution, who do you think is being more accurate SCT or Bama or put it this way who would u buy from?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The numbers that we produced are rated at peak gains, at the top of the curve. If you look at our blog and video, we've gained as much as 28RWHP and 34RWTQ with the intake/tune throughout different areas of the curve that were lacking from the factory.

We picked up almost identical gains as SCT with just a tune on the stock air box.

You have to remember, they're advertising curve numbers and not peak numbers. Not that they're misleading at all, just a different way of rating.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Perfect explanation. I'll take peak over curve any day, for what it's worth, when it comes to analyzing a tune.

Looking forward to seeing the final BAMA tune on the market. Then looking forward to the 3.7L tune from AM.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
585 Posts
Perfect explanation. I'll take peak over curve any day, for what it's worth, when it comes to analyzing a tune.

:bigthumbsup
Personally, I'll take curve over peak any day. That's where you spend most of your time, unless you're bouncing off the rev limiter at every shift..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Personally, I'll take curve over peak any day. That's where you spend most of your time, unless you're bouncing off the rev limiter at every shift..
I see your point. Picking a fat spot of the curve and listing those gains vs. just listing the peak doesn't really give you a better idea of exactly where you will be getting the power. You have to look at the entire plot, right? So apples and oranges, really. Neither number by itself is the end all be all. I like peak because it seems more absolute and less prone to cherry picking. In my opinion, at least. Either way...you still end up with more power. Which is what it's all about. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
568 Posts
You will see similar gains from every experienced tuner. Its not like you will see 20 from one and 40 from another.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will see similar gains from every experienced tuner. Its not like you will see 20 from one and 40 from another.
Exactly. Which I was trying to say above...but my run-on mouth gets in the way of my one sentence brain. :laughlitt

·
Registered
679 Posts
In my opinion, peak gains are not realistic, but they make good marketing hype.

Realistically, the Root Mean Square (RMS) values are likely what you will see because of the multitude of variables in rating power and torque by testing. RMS = 0.707 of the peak values (use 71%). So a 28 HP gain is more likely to be 19.9 HP.

I am more interested in where on the curve the gains occur. For example, a street racer would want to see more torque in the rising slope of the curve. A road track racer would be better served with more power up at the top of the curve.

In short, torque is important for acceleration, and horsepower is important to maintain high speed.

As for Bama tunes, I have them in my 2006 GT, and I will have them in my new 2011 GT as well. In the case of my 2006 GT, the Bama folks worked with me to optimize their tunes to my liking, so I will be a repeat customer. :worship

God please bless America.
We need it now more than ever before!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I think you mean the opposite?

At the peak, we picked up slightly less than the rest of the curve. If we had advertised gains throughout, it actually would have looked better for us.

We advertise peak numbers, because it's the standard. The only time "through the curve" numbers should be mentioned is if they were not as favorable as peak gains.

In this case, it was the exact opposite...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.