Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of videos showing massively smoking burnouts with the new Mustang GT. In some, the car is dead still, presumably held with the front brakes. Does that mean the rear brakes are being overridden by the applied torque at the wheels? Are they wearing down the rear brakes in the process?

In my Toyota Avalon, part of the throttle recall fixes included a brake override computer logic. If the brake is applied, even if the throttle is floored, the engine drops back to idle and the car stops. Hence, no can do burnouts - not that I want to in the Avalon. Looks like the Mustang does not have a brake override - or does it? Anyone know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This won't answer your question, but everytime I see one of those tire smoking videos I cringe! I mean really, who in their right mind would want to ruin perfectly good tires and in doing so, add unnecessary stress/wear to the brakes and power train? IMO, a rather immature act just to show off! Save it for the road race track or your favorite set of twisties in the mountains, etc.!!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
This won't answer your question, but everytime I see one of those tire smoking videos I cringe! I mean really, who in their right mind would want to ruin perfectly good tires and in doing so, add unnecessary stress/wear to the brakes and power train? IMO, a rather immature act just to show off! Save it for the road race track or your favorite set of twisties in the mountains, etc.!!
Yea just had to say I agree with ya 100% on that one man, well said.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Likewise. I'm not interested in shredding my tires, just in understanding how they do it, and whether the Mustang has a brake override.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Likewise. I'm not interested in shredding my tires, just in understanding how they do it, and whether the Mustang has a brake override.
If I could do them without worrying about powertrain or brakes I would. Probably only when I'm about to get new tires and wanna shred them. :) But I don't do it, and probably never will.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Common someone can anwer this who has done a burnout! Great question for the Hard Core Driver! Where are they all. Are ya all a bunch of weekend shoppers?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought this same way a long time ago about burn outs (not that I didnt still do them lol)
However think about it this way:

When you apply the brakes while driving lets say from 75 to a complete stop your rear wheels are still rotating while you apply the brakes.
So compare this to doing a burnout: your rear wheels are moving while you applying brakes.

now yes a long burnout will be taxing on the brakes but it wouldnt be anymore taxing than some extreme braking while in motion either.

I just hate to clean the dam car after burnoutss

·
Registered
468 Posts
Two ways to do the burnout. First disengage the traction control. My 5.0 with the 3.73 gears will draw two perfectly straight black lines for as long as you hold your right foot down in 1st and 2nd gear with no brakes applied.

Vehicles without this kind of power, require brake application.

If you want billowing smoke, you need to apply the brake and the throttle at the same time, holding the car still or letting it move forward at a controlled speed. Yes, wearing on the rear brake pads.

Pirelli's are expensive, so I do not recommend this. That is until you are ready to replace them. Then caution, do not over burn to the point of blowout, then you will also be replacing the rims! $$$$$$.

Hope this helps. But be warned. I once received a ticket for imprudent speed. I think the definition as related to this event is when the rear tires are going 60 in a 45 and the car is moving at 20 mph!!!! Have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hope this helps. But be warned. I once received a ticket for imprudent speed. I think the definition as related to this event is when the rear tires are going 60 in a 45 and the car is moving at 20 mph!!!! Have fun, be safe!
Did he write a ticket for your tires? I would think you could argue that you weren't speeding, just the rubber was.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did he write a ticket for your tires? I would think you could argue that you weren't speeding, just the rubber was.
ROFL - I would think most cops would laugh at that and hopefully let you off with a warning!:yup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Rev up high, drop the clutch, foot on brake gentle enough to keep the rear wheels moving but firm enough to keep the front ones planted. Doesn't take much horsepower to do, so it's kinda annoying to see those commercials when I've seen it done in a bone stock 94 v6 mustang with 135rwhp. It'll wear the brake pads a little on the back, but after numerous burnouts like that at the track on my last car, I replaced the rear pads once in 130k miles. So I'd say don't worry about it unless you make it a habit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are a number of videos showing massively smoking burnouts with the new Mustang GT. In some, the car is dead still, presumably held with the front brakes. Does that mean the rear brakes are being overridden by the applied torque at the wheels? Are they wearing down the rear brakes in the process?

In my Toyota Avalon, part of the throttle recall fixes included a brake override computer logic. If the brake is applied, even if the throttle is floored, the engine drops back to idle and the car stops. Hence, no can do burnouts - not that I want to in the Avalon. Looks like the Mustang does not have a brake override - or does it? Anyone know?
Yes and Yes. The Mustang does not have any illogical power killing circuits like the Yotas thank god. That 'fix' was driven by political pressure.

The Mustang works almost the opposite with a nice button to help enthusiasts turn off the computer controls which counter wheel spin. To do a nice smokey burnouts without killing your brake pads, you need to invest in a "line-locking" device that is used in bracket racing. A simple solenoid will help maintain break pressure to the front wheels to keep it from moving while releasing the rear breaks so they spin easy. Smokey burnouts look fun but are really expensive in terms of quickly destroying your hi-performance Pirellis. It also puts huge shocks and loads on your drive line that will effectively shorten the lifespan. The burnouts will also remind you how bad of a wheel hopping problem the car has in its stock form. But despite the logic, it can be fun sometimes, laying down a couple of dark stripes of rubber. Smokey burnouts are the best way to say goodbye the old some "old shoes" that may already be on the wear bars and in need replacement.

As the story goes, if you want to play, then you need to pay.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I bought my car to do burnouts and doughnuts, is that immature?… who cares… I pay for the tires and all repairs… if someone wants to burn up a set of tires in week, good for them... its their money and pissing it away the way they want…

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have to admit I did it once. I won't do it again. It was on my bucket list.... "#28. Buy a V8 and do a burnout".

Pretty much I just let the clutch go at 5000 rpm and it just sat there and spun. I didn't really have to play with the brake any. I suppose if you want to do one of those hairpin "go in a tight circle with your inside tire not moving" that you'd need to finesse the front brake to keep your tight circle????

There must be some rear brake wear, but no more than braking deep into a corner a few times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could always get a line lock. Arm it, apply the brakes, hold in the line lock, and release the brakes. That just keeps pressure on the front pads. My old SS had one underneath the shifter boot for the strip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.