Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD RACING 2011 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACK -- M-FR1-MGTB

$625 free shipping, and...

2011 Mustang Gt 5.0L Ford Racing Power Pack, M-Fr1-Mgtb at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

$600 but I don't see shipping cost. Maybe you guys have already seen these but just checking! I was all set on buying for $749, lol, glad I found these.

So now it's just about finding the best dealer for installation price and for ensuring my factory warranty stays intact. What kinds of prices have you guys gotten who got it installed? I assume I can just buy online and then bring it to the dealer?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Its a 25 min job you can do yourself really, i wouldn't pay cause you'll pay upwards of $100+ for the dealer to do it

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
you know the bama race 93 octane tune and the air raid cold air intake make more power for about the same $ right?

Airaid CAI and SF3 Tuner (2011 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I think the guys at american muscle did dyno tests showing that the FRPP lost power across the power band but gained some torque down low to make it FEEL faster than it actually is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 25 min job you can do yourself really, i wouldn't pay cause you'll pay upwards of $100+ for the dealer to do it
I would if I were mechanically inclined, which I am anything but. I don't mind paying a couple hundred or so extra for the professional install if I'm already paying 600-700 for the parts.

you know the bama race 93 octane tune and the air raid cold air intake make more power for about the same $ right?

I think the guys at american muscle did dyno tests showing that the FRPP lost power across the power band but gained some torque down low to make it FEEL faster than it actually is.
Well my main buying motivation here is really the muffler sound upgrade. Stock is too quiet and I love how the Ford Racing mufflers sound. I was going to buy just the mufflers at first but figured I might as well buy the whole kit then.

·
Registered
101 Posts
[I think the guys at american muscle did dyno tests showing that the FRPP lost power across the power band but gained some torque down low to make it FEEL faster than it actually is.[/quote]

Power isn't everything to everyone. I don't race, but I "FEEL" every time I drive. Low end torque and a better feel is exactly what some people want.

The OP needs to carefully reread the FRPP warranty statement and the warranty threads here. Last I checked, the consensus was that even this tune would void the Ford warranty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The OP needs to carefully reread the FRPP warranty statement and the warranty threads here. Last I checked, the consensus was that even this tune would void the Ford warranty.
Really? Crap...I have read a lot of the threads about this kit and it seemed the consensus was that it would NOT void the warranty. Maybe I'll be sticking with only the mufflers after all then.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
ford racing is NOT affiliated with ford motor company...if something happens and there is warranty repair, ford racing will foot the bill and NOT fomoco.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Really? Crap...I have read a lot of the threads about this kit and it seemed the consensus was that it would NOT void the warranty. Maybe I'll be sticking with only the mufflers after all then.
It will replaced your FoMoCo 5 year 60k warranty with either a 1 year or 3 year warranty from Ford Racing. Depending upon when your dealer installs it.

No warranty if you DIY.

Of course whether or not you will have a problem in the future that is blamed on the software is completely unknown.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will replaced your FoMoCo 5 year 60k warranty with either a 1 year or 3 year warranty from Ford Racing. Depending upon when your dealer installs it.

No warranty if you DIY.

Of course whether or not you will have a problem in the future that is blamed on the software is completely unknown.
So you're basically saying I would be trading in my 5-year warranty on my entire powertrain for a 1-3 year warranty on only my new exhaust, air intake and any possible problems caused by the tune?

Eff that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
So you're basically saying I would be trading in my 5-year warranty on my entire powertrain for a 1-3 year warranty on only my new exhaust, air intake and any possible problems caused by the tune?

Eff that.
Well, that's IF the tune somehow causes problems. the ford racing tune is extremely conservative so I doubt it would cause any problems.

That said, most of these tuning companies know just as much and have the same equipment as ford racing has so their knowledge of tuning is just as good (probably better) and deliver better power gains.

Yes you still risk warranty issues but that's the way it is. If you do get a tune and something goes bad wrong, you can always flash the ECU back to stock before taking it to the dealer but realistically, if all you're after is a better sounding exhaust, get shelby GT500 mufflers can be bought for dirt cheap over from guys at the SVT performance forum and as many have agreed, are an outstanding upgrade to the stock GT mufflers.

I snagged a pair with only about 50 miles on them for $200 shipped.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that's IF the tune somehow causes problems. the ford racing tune is extremely conservative so I doubt it would cause any problems.

That said, most of these tuning companies know just as much and have the same equipment as ford racing has so their knowledge of tuning is just as good (probably better) and deliver better power gains.

Yes you still risk warranty issues but that's the way it is. If you do get a tune and something goes bad wrong, you can always flash the ECU back to stock before taking it to the dealer but realistically, if all you're after is a better sounding exhaust, get shelby GT500 mufflers can be bought for dirt cheap over from guys at the SVT performance forum and as many have agreed, are an outstanding upgrade to the stock GT mufflers.

I snagged a pair with only about 50 miles on them for $200 shipped.
Ok so instead of "you got a tune so your warranty is completely gone" it's "if this specific problem was caused by the tune then your warranty doesn't cover it; if it was not caused by the tune then your warranty is still good". That makes more sense. If that's what you mean then it doesn't sound like I have much to worry about.

Yeah the muffler sound is most important to me for sure but more torque/power would be nice too. Just a little something more to separate mine from the other 2011 GTs in my area.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yeah ford has to prove that the tune itself was responsible for the problem.

personally, I would either go with the steeda tune w/the air raid intake or the bama 93 tune and the air raid intake.

air raid has proven to be the best (most torque by a lot) and both steeda and bama are delivering outstanding tunes.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
hotshot... So I should be able to contact the dealer and have them order and install? The reason I ask is my dealer gives me a nice discount on parts since I've purchased four Mustangs from them. They have the best Service Department I ever dealt with and I'm on a first name relationship with the Service Manager. In addition, if I have my dealer install the stuff, it's covered under warranty. They can also handle the hassle of aquiring the calibration tool. I think I'll can Don tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
[The OP needs to carefully reread the FRPP warranty statement and the warranty threads here. Last I checked, the consensus was that even this tune would void the Ford warranty.

Ok.. My question here concerning warranty is... Why would an upgrade that you can purchase from and have your dealer service department install on your new pony void the warranty? Am I missing something. That just does not make any sense whatsoever to me. Can this package be purchased from the dealer and will they install it? Someone please provide a definite answer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok.. My question here concerning warranty is... Why would an upgrade that you can purchase from and have your dealer service department install on your new pony void the warranty? Am I missing something. That just does not make any sense whatsoever to me. Can this package be purchased from the dealer and will they install it? Someone please provide a definite answer.
Because it is altering ford's ECU and engine management that the FACTORY programs.

The ford racing tune is NOT AUTHORIZED to be installed on the car per your car warranty guidelines. It's that simple.

Ford racing is a TOTALLY separate entity from ford motor company and this tune is NOT from ford motor company. Ford racing says that they will cover you for what a year? and after that you're on your own.

Also, if something DOES go wrong, you can't expect to waltz into the dealership and expect them to fix it. You would have to go through ford racing to try and get things fixed.

having a dealership themselves modify the ECU is an open invitation for them to deny any service to your powertrain.

Unless you can get something in writing from this friend of yours at the dealership stating that if ANYTHING goes wrong regardless of whether or not it is a direct result of that ECU modification that they will fix it under ford's warranty (not ford racing warranty) then I would just get a different tune like steeda or bama and program it yourself. It literally takes like 10 minutes. It's comically easy to do.

The problem though with getting a "yeah we'll fix your car" from your buddy is that they STILL have to go to ford's service department to get authorization to do warranty work and at that point, your buddy is probably going to have to spill the beans that you have a modified ECU that didn't come from the factory at which point, ford will probably say tough luck he should have read the warranty info.

Seriously man buy a different tune, install it yourself and if by some slight chance something goes wrong down the road, you can program the ecu back to the factory tune, take it to the dealer and there will be none the wiser.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually Ford may be the wiser as they can see tell tale signs of reflashing the ECU. With the 2003 Mustang Cobras hotshots would remove the pulley and replace with a smaller one to make more boost sooner. After an engine failure they return the stock pulley and ask for warranty work. The service department would document scratches on the pulley shaft and deny the claim. As they should if the extra boost caused the failure.

In a court of law, the burden of proof would be on the one who modifies the car to prove the mods did not cause the failure. Many judges and jurors do not understand cars and the result is highly debatable. If you play you take your chances, but likely lose the warranty. The best bet would be small claims court where consumers have an edge...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
there are some tunes that are totally untracable but it all depends on the ECU. APR for example tune Audi/VW/Porsche and they have an encryption process for their tunes that makes it invisible to dealer diagnostic tools.

APR is local here in alabama and there are actually guys who used to work for APR that work in the VW/Audi/Porsche dealer service center here in town and they have verified that a tech that wasn't aware of the flashed ecu would not know it was there.

The BMW tuner Vishnu also has employees that work at BMW service centers and say if the ECU is flashed back to stock, there is no way for them to tell that it was ever flashed. Other BMW tunes however CAN trigger whatever it is in the ECU that tells the dealer that it was previously flashed.

Again these are totally different cars but there ARE ways around this issue. It's always a gamble though.

F

·
0 Posts
Hi guys,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. These aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info.

Deysha

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hi guys,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. These aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info.

Deysha
Not to discredit you but there have been numerous guys who have had dealers deny warranty work on cars after seeing completely unrelated parts on the car.

Example: one ford dealer refused to fix a known transmission issue because he had after market mufflers on the car.

Obviously the mufflers did not cause the transmission to have problems, it was a flaw in the shifter design. That did not stop his dealership from refusing to do the work because they saw a totally unrelated aftermarket part on the car.

In situations like this, the owner of the car is left with no choice but to either seek legal council or pay full price to have the repair done.

From what I've read, this is not an uncommon trend among dealerships.

This is the situation we're put in Deysha. Nothing short of a direct intervention from the higher powers above the dealerships can help us in these types of situations and unfortunately, it seems that the dealership is the only way to get through to that higher power.

The vernacular in the owners manual regarding the warranty is open to VERY loose interpretation on the dealership's part and they often use this to interpret a situation to weasel out of fixing legit problems that the car owner's modifications were in no way shape or form responsible for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Example: one ford dealer refused to fix a known transmission issue because he had after market mufflers on the car.
What's the incentive for the dealer to refuse warranty repair? I can imagine they want to make sure they get paid by Ford, but I do assume the dealers get paid by Ford for warranty repairs.
The dealer may figure that he can make more money if he can repair it outside of the warranty, but you should walk out at that point. Sounds like the unfortunately very common dealer BS, trying to screw the customer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts