Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
The aftermarket tune can't be traced by the dealer unless they get some help from Ford engineering. It will appear as if the PCM reset and nothing more.

As for proof on the customer/car owner to prove that the mod didn't cause the issue is not true. It is on the dealership/manufacturer to prove that the mod done caused the part that failed to break. It has to be documented, otherwise you can go to another dealer and get them to repair it.

Magnuson moss warranty act.

·
Registered
956 Posts
At the end of the day I would either get a blower from Ford Racing or go with an aftermarket tune/tuner. The Ford Racing power pack doesn't seem like that great of a deal to me. One could also go with BBK bolt ons as they don't need a tune if you are afraid to void your warranty. An exhaust is not going to hurt anything if you get it from a reputable manufacturer.

Also if Ford dealers are like this then I may never buy another Ford. Chevy dealers were all too happy to help me modify my Chevy Cobalt SS/SC. Some of the parts were through GMPP some were aftermarket. They knew a lot about the cars and the LSJ ecotec motor and would tell me if something would hurt it or not. If Ford doesn't have enough in the car to push it then I don't want it. The Mustang is meant to be personalized/modified. I mean the majority modifiy their car in some way vs. those that stay completely stock.

·
Registered
439 Posts
so if the dealer installs it you get to keep your 3 year warranty? If you install it you get 1 year? How does this work? Also I can't figure out if the procal tune helps with the shift point and the trottle response of the auto trans.

F

·
0 Posts
so if the dealer installs it you get to keep your 3 year warranty? If you install it you get 1 year? How does this work? Also I can't figure out if the procal tune helps with the shift point and the trottle response of the auto trans.
Hey Revenge,

We recommend for any aftermarket part to be installed by your Ford dealer. This avoids any mishaps with your warranty. However, if a specific aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered by your Ford warranty, but by that aftermarket part’s warranty if it came with one. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info.

Deysha

·
Registered
579 Posts
One thing I've heard about on a few post already is that Ford Racing is not part of Ford Motor Co. Now if it's not why would Ford Sell there parts? why would they fix destroyed gears with a Ford Racing Part # which has happened to quite a few people with bad gears from the factory?

Why would they install semi-performance parts and have them installed upon delivery of the car and keep a 3 year-36k mile warranty? Where is this magical Ford Racing Dealer or Techs that are going to inspect your car to determine that the parts installed by "FORD" caused the problem that "FORD" is now saying is faulty?

The only ones who would be involved would be Ford if it came to a warranty issue. The parts that cause "Concern" are after market parts you or non-ford shops installed

Ford Racing is part of Ford and their parts although not having the same warranty if added after the delivery of the car. Ford Racing makes a generic warranty since they don't know when your adding it to your car. You may have 24k miles on it when you get around to adding a tune so of course there not going to warranty it for 3 years-36k miles. :wavey

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I was to get the ford racing powerpack and have the dealer install it do I get a 3 year 36k from that date or do I get a 1/12k cause it was not installed brand new? My car is only about 6 months old.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If I was to get the ford racing powerpack and have the dealer install it do I get a 3 year 36k from that date or do I get a 1/12k cause it was not installed brand new? My car is only about 6 months old.
Best to ask your dealers service manager about what they consider "at delivery" (as per FRPP warranty) since they'd be doing the repairs, etc. I've read that some have done it significantly after that, several thousand miles, months, etc.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey Revenge,

We recommend for any aftermarket part to be installed by your Ford dealer. This avoids any mishaps with your warranty. However, if a specific aftermarket part causes a concern, that specific repair will not be covered by your Ford warranty, but by that aftermarket part’s warranty if it came with one. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info.

Deysha
Deysha is spot on...but I want to make sure you are aware not all dealerships are created equal. Speak with the service department and the management about the particular part(s) you want to add to your ride. Otherwise you could end up with a face off with the dealership if something were to break down the road. Meaning it could be something unrelated but they may try to sit there and tell you your warranty is void period. Just be careful.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Hey Revenge,

Deysha

WOW, does your boss know you put this up here? Does this not completely go against what was written in the new TSB? I can follow a flow chart and I did not see anything in the TSB that informed the tech's to determine the cause of the failure if there were certain "codes" present(whether or not the reason for those codes caused the specified failure). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Revenge, be careful what you do to your new car, or you might have to take out "revenge" on FOMOCO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I hear you brother, I am just gonna keep it stock for a while, just trying to learn as much as I can about the car and my options.:smilie

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I hear you brother, I am just gonna keep it stock for a while, just trying to learn as much as I can about the car and my options.:smilie
From what I understand from other threads is if you have the Ford procal installed by the dealer right when you buy the car you get the Ford racing warranty for 3yr 36 months. If installed after, like in your case, Ford racing would cover you 1 year 12 months. I'm still not real clear on what happens to your original Ford BtoB and powertrain warranty, seems to be some gray area there...

I personally don't feel the benefits are worth the possible warranty risk with any tunes at this time.
Procal probably safest choice as far as warranty is concered but no where near the gains of the other aftermarket tunes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
WOW, does your boss know you put this up here? Does this not completely go against what was written in the new TSB? I can follow a flow chart and I did not see anything in the TSB that informed the tech's to determine the cause of the failure if there were certain "codes" present(whether or not the reason for those codes caused the specified failure). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Revenge, be careful what you do to your new car, or you might have to take out "revenge" on FOMOCO.
Look at the flow chart again.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks Bmr4life.

I did, just to be certain, and I stand corrected, thank you for making me re-read the TSB. I'll clarify which parts I had an issue with for others.

If you have any engine, transmission, or clutch problems and your car shows the p1000 code, which can be caused by disconnecting the battery or flashing the PCM, they try to determine if the PCM has been flashed(they can tell), if it has, it goes straight to warranty cancellation.

This warranty cancellation is for the entire powertrain. This is most likely because p1000 will only show if the OBDII has not been ran through all of the test cycles, which would indicate a flash back to stock after the failure, resulting in the car being unable to complete the OBDII test. If you have an issue with your car, and you return the PCM back to stock, make sure you can complete the OBDII drive cycle before going in for warranty work. If you have a tuner now, and are wanting to go back to stock to protect yourself, I can't blame you. Ford will be able to tell you had a tune on your car(not sure for how long), but they will also be able to tell the car had the failure after the tune was removed. If you have a major failure, I wouldn't remove the tune or mods, but do as you wish.

FordCustServ(Deysha), I apologize.:surrender:

F

·
0 Posts
Much appreciated! :)
I did, just to be certain, and I stand corrected, thank you for making me re-read the TSB. I'll clarify which parts I had an issue with for others.

If you have any engine, transmission, or clutch problems and your car shows the p1000 code, which can be caused by disconnecting the battery or flashing the PCM, they try to determine if the PCM has been flashed(they can tell), if it has, it goes straight to warranty cancellation.

This warranty cancellation is for the entire powertrain. This is most likely because p1000 will only show if the OBDII has not been ran through all of the test cycles, which would indicate a flash back to stock after the failure, resulting in the car being unable to complete the OBDII test. If you have an issue with your car, and you return the PCM back to stock, make sure you can complete the OBDII drive cycle before going in for warranty work. If you have a tuner now, and are wanting to go back to stock to protect yourself, I can't blame you. Ford will be able to tell you had a tune on your car(not sure for how long), but they will also be able to tell the car had the failure after the tune was removed. If you have a major failure, I wouldn't remove the tune or mods, but do as you wish.

FordCustServ(Deysha), I apologize.:surrender:
Apology accepted adspru!:smilie Again, I'm here to help!!:yup:

Deysha

21 - 34 of 34 Posts