Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 GT manual trans has abot 800 miles on it. Right from the start there has been a rear end gear whine at highway speeds. it is not really bad, but it is there. take your foot off the gas and it stops as you coast down. get back up tp speed and it comes back. my car has factory 3:73 gears. Anyone else noticed this whine ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 2011 GT manual trans has abot 800 miles on it. Right from the start there has been a rear end gear whine at highway speeds. it is not really bad, but it is there. take your foot off the gas and it stops as you coast down. get back up tp speed and it comes back. my car has factory 3:73 gears. Anyone else noticed this whine ?
i have seen a couple others mention that on this board with having the 3.73 instead of the 3.31. not sure if there was ever any resolution. the search function on here seems to be a little bit less than superb, in that it seems to incorporate "or" instead of "and" giving a less granular search, and popping up threads with only 1 of the words you searched for... but, you may want to try a search for that and see if the other guys figured anything out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My car came with 3.73 stock and yes i got gear whine same as yours randeezll . Like you said not realy loud but it there you can hear it when you get on and off the gas . I'am thinking of taking the car in having the dealer note it so if get any louder i'am going to want them to fix it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the dealer switch form 3.31 to 3.73 and i have the same whine. I can only hear it from 80 to 100 when on the gas and stops when i let off.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Mine does the reverse of what you said...whines at low rpms if i am gearing down or start going and let off and let the drive train pull down the speed. We are talking a wine between 1400 and 2200 if my foot is NOT on the gas.

Totally diff tranny i know..but it is totally normal for my car.

Very possibly very normal for yours as well...

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I know is, I have a slight gear whine.A clunk when I shift. Exhaust is loader because of Corsa extremes, ride is stiffer because of LCA change ,idle is up and down a bit because of tune, car is lighter because of aluminum driveshaft change. I play hard rock on the CD player too. Hey, if I keep it up, it will sound, ride and feel just like an old muscle car. It certainly has the power to prove it. Life is good.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the gear whine as well. I have 3.73s and noticed a very faint whine on the highway early on when stock, but only with the radio off.

However after I installed my Steeda LCAs this weekend not only do I have increased clunking (expected) the volume of the whine has increased quite a bit. I can now pick it up over the radio unless I've got the volume to 6+ bars. It only really comes on between 60-80 MPH but it's definitely there.

At first I thought maybe I screwed something up during the install but I think it's just the fact that the new LCAs and poly bushings aren't dampening any of the noise coming from the rear end so I am getting everything. The car drives perfectly so I'm not to worried, and I know as soon as I get exhaust I'll drown out the whine. :bounce2:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a really faint whine as well. Little more than 7,000 on the ODO and has obly become apparent to me in the last 1,000 or so miles. I can only barely hear it over the exhaust but it's there. Just downshift and hit the gas, listen to the exhaust note and let worries fly away.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Steeda aluminum LCA's as well. But once I went to an aluminum driveshaft the whine has become louder. and yes it is between about 55 and 80 miles per hour. I guess I will just keep an eye on it as now that i have changed the LCA's and driveshaft, i cannot go back to the dealer unless i remove them. Ill tell you one thing though. I sure would like to go back and tell them that the vibration issues i had that they said was a "drone" is gone with the installation of my new aluminum Shaftmaster driveshaft. So it is obviously a much better driveshaft than the one installed by Ford. Unfortunately, I dont think they would see it that way would they.
and also, I have Corsa extremes , and the whine is still audible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 3.73's and also have a continuous gear whine above 60 mph under load-- not loud, but noticeable. (2200 miles).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might as well post ... had a whine in my 2005, but my 2011 with 3.73 has no whine at all, I couldn't be happier.

As I've always understood it, the whine usually means the rear gears weren't lined up perfectly, but has no detrimental effect other than the noise.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Like I said, all my Mustangs have had the wine. All of the '05 and above models I've owned have had the 3.73 gears, so maybe that is why.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually have a weird whine too nut mine is lower in the RPM range. mine kind of sounds like a hum/whine like you would have from an improperly grounded radio with the faint hum coming through the speakers but I hear it with the stereo off so it cannot be that.. the sound raises along with engine RPM too.. any ideas?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It could just be a little bit of gear whine from within the transmission, which is fairly normal.

·
Registered
947 Posts
What does this gear whine sound like??

I have something coming from the rear that sounds like a machine is spinning constantly. It's always there, whether or not I accelerate or decelerate. It sounds like the tires are spinning, maybe due to the low profile brembo tires. It sounds even more when I fold the seats down. It's pretty noticeable when the windows are closed and radio turned off. Just whirling and nothing else.

I assume this is normal but I have no idea what the gear whine sounds like. I do have the 3.73's factory installed so I'm just checking.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My factory 3.73's are very quiet so far, no perceptible noise to complain about.

I drive 70-miles to/from work daily, maintain speeds between 65-80mph most of the way, and with 700 miles on the odometer, it's still quiet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What does this gear whine sound like??

I have something coming from the rear that sounds like a machine is spinning constantly. It's always there, whether or not I accelerate or decelerate. It sounds like the tires are spinning, maybe due to the low profile brembo tires. It sounds even more when I fold the seats down. It's pretty noticeable when the windows are closed and radio turned off. Just whirling and nothing else.

I assume this is normal but I have no idea what the gear whine sounds like. I do have the 3.73's factory installed so I'm just checking.
Best way i can describe it is like i said earlier its like an improperly grounded radio feedback sound..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Best way i can describe it is like i said earlier its like an improperly grounded radio feedback sound..
Wow, that's not good. Any rear-end that whine's like that is going to fail. There are only two things that can go wrong during the install of a ring & pinion set in a 8.8" Rear, the Crush Sleeve did not get crushed to spec (pinion depth wrong), or the back-lash (shimming on the differential/ring gear assembly) was improperly set on the rear-axle assembly line. Most problems I've seen over the years is from the crush sleeve.

If those are set correctly, you should not have hardly any noise. My 3.73's are very quiet, not even a slight whine.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts