Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pour a bottle of friction modifier into thhe rear end and that should help.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Pour a bottle of friction modifier into thhe rear end and that should help.
Friction modifier is only an additive to allow the clutch's inside the differential to slip, it has absolutely nothing to do with the whine. If you change the gear oil with adding friction modifier, the rear will chatter going around corners like a spool, and the clutch's will wear out quickly and then become more like a open-diff, spinning only one tire under power.

The whine is from something done wrong in the rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a "whined" sound in 3rd and 4th gear from 2700rpm and up; kind of like a super charge sound but not as loud. I had the dealership look at it and they said there was nothing wrong with the transmission or any other mechanical components. I asked what was making the sound and they could not answer; I dont think its healthy at all, and is really quite irritating when your driving a brand new car. If anyone has had the same problem fixed please let me know. 2011 GT stock gears (1200km)

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine kinda sounds like a supercharger whine.. good example.. after tuning my ear into that sound explicitly I have noticed that it is quite noticable ALL the time and its getting to be very annoying..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone had a resolution for this? or improvement over time?

My GT has 3.73's and 1200 miles. Started to whine today crusing down the turnpike. It's definitely not the trans since it happens in nuetral. Only happens when you get it up to speed....and it is pretty loud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Made an appointment to drop it off on Tuesday- so we will see what happens. Love to know if anyone's gear noise went away and what wa done. Definitely coming from the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My 2011 GT manual trans has abot 800 miles on it. Right from the start there has been a rear end gear whine at highway speeds. it is not really bad, but it is there. take your foot off the gas and it stops as you coast down. get back up tp speed and it comes back. my car has factory 3:73 gears. Anyone else noticed this whine ?
I have this wine at highway speeds in 6th gear only as well. Dealer said it was normal. I don't even notice it anymore. If something goes wrong it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a whine in mine, would show up when decelerating or coasting, never
when accelerating. Took it in, they replaced the ring and pinion, all is well

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear mine at all speeds - but twice as lous on decelleration....hopefully quick fix. If they are going to replace parts I may have them swap me out to the 3.55's FRPP gears, 3.73's look like they will be a bit much for NJ Motorsport park and Pocono lapping days

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had to bring my 3.73 optioned car in under 500 miles. They advised it was a bearing failure and replaced it just like postal had done.

I have since began to hear a slight noise again (now around 6k miles) but haven't brought the car in yet. Still need to figure out if they are going to hassle with my mods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
**Update**

Heard back from the dealer earlier today first call was Tech couldn't hear it. All they could hear was tire noise.....Bridgestone Blizzaks....which are actually much quieter than the PZero's....

So my response was 1st, it started making noise while on cruise control at 68mph on the turnpike. 2nd my 4 year old promptly asked what is that noise when taking him to school. 3rd if it was the tires then how some the noise is the same when changing surfaces, concrete to asphault to overpass, etc....

So the service manager took it for a spin and was back in less than 10 minutes....something def wrong...so they are waiting on Ford for direction. In the mean time I need to go rent a car....

Hopefully they will figure it out quickly....2 days without it sux...and I already have to go a 3rd.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 3.73's and the whine is there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
All I know is, I have a slight gear whine.A clunk when I shift. Exhaust is loader because of Corsa extremes, ride is stiffer because of LCA change ,idle is up and down a bit because of tune, car is lighter because of aluminum driveshaft change. I play hard rock on the CD player too. Hey, if I keep it up, it will sound, ride and feel just like an old muscle car. It certainly has the power to prove it. Life is good.
Hey Randeez, where did you buy your driveshaft from, and did you install it yourself?

·
Registered
36 Posts
**Update**

Ford has asked for the ring, pinion to be returned to them and a new ring and pinion with an updated part number are to be installed. As soon as I get the part number I will post....

Part was being overnighted from Canada...with the snow that came in last night hoping it still made it to the dealer so I can pick the car up today..... day 4 without it is making my [email protected] $h!t crazy......addicted to the 5.0....

·
Registered
277 Posts
You should not hear wine at all but that does not mean it's going bad either. Have the dealership document the noise for reference. It's sounds like a sloppy (or quick) ring and pinion install IMO.

It can take an experienced mechanic 2 or 3 tries to set a rear gear mesh correctly - but they do that prior to sealing it all up again. It took 4 Wheel Parts a whole day to rebuild my F150 axel and install an OX Locker but they did a great job. No noise, not even with 33" AT tires (a little tire noise on concrete highway at 75).

·
Registered
36 Posts
**Update**

Check your dealership to see how many folks they have certified for the 2011 Mustang....mine has 2.....and if those two are unable to get to work....then your car sits an extra day or two....

New kit that was ordered requires all the guts get changed as per Ford instruction. Looks like the part is the FRPP gear kit 3.73 M-4209-F373N. Hoping to have it back today but looks more likely that it will be tomorrow am.

The only thing that has me miffed is the lack of compensation offering from my local dealership. No offer of a loaner for the extended down time, discount coupns via Ford corp....nada....I appreciate that they are taking their time to get it done right...but thankfully I work out of my house and have only had 3 days where I have needed to rent a car....which is out of my own pocket.....expected what I got out of my saturn, nissan and infiniti dealerships....got let down instead....

·
Registered
677 Posts
How can I tell which gears I have in my 2011 GT

·
Registered
429 Posts
3.73 M6 here.

Mine has started whining, just under 2k miles now. The whine seems to be coming from the shifter area (stock), sounds like a super charger in the first 3 gears under 3k rpms. At higher rpms i can't tell if it goes away or the road/wind noise drowns it out.

I took it to the dealership and they tried to tell me all mustangs did that, so I asked to drive one sitting on their lot and it was whisper quiet. Without flinching the service manager denied hearing a difference. Good times.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts