Ford Mustang Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hi Kordasn. I got the driveshaft at Shaftmasters over in Detroit. Picked it up and installed it myself. It works, fits and looks great !

·
Registered
277 Posts
How can I tell which gears I have in my 2011 GT
Check your build sheet - window sticker- if that fails there is a tag on the axel diff housing with an axel code.

Look for the 5-digit code. Should start with "s" prefix for Sterling axel plant, followed by 3 numbers, and then an "F" suffix for Ford.. Some older have "V" for the old Van Dyke plant but I don't know if they build anything there anymore.

Type the 5-digit code in Google and you should decipher it or call your dealership with the code.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Conclusion-

FRPP 3.73 kit is installed and no noise from the diff. All there is now is the whine from the transmission that many have commented on. Seems louder than before, but from everything i have read the cold has alot to do with that. Rode in a 2011GT with 5500 miles on it and his trans is much quieter than mine. He said that his has a noticable humm until it warms up, then it fades slowly. No issues to date....

Either way I have my car back - now if we can get this crappy weather to go away.....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah it shouldn't sound like that, go to a different dealer! Some service managers are real A-holes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guess the Gear whine issue is not over for me.... thought it was the transmission making the whine now since you hit the clutch and the sound almost disappears.....

Took the car to Down's ford to have the FRPP Adjustables and Steeda Sport Springs put on as well as do the first oil change. They took it for a spin and immediately put it up on the lift. Tech went to grab the drive shaft and it moves up/down-side/side with very little pressure....Sooooo....it looks like the gears were not installed properly.

Called Ford Customer Service, and while they were very pleasant on the phone, they would not authorize Down's Ford to re-do the warranty work....so back to Loman Ford it goes....last time it took them 2 days to install the gears...so I get to have it towed 74 miles at my expense after mile 36 (ford covers the first 36). Really pissed...and very frustrated....and NOT confident in the lone tech certified to work on the 2011 GT at Loman....

As much as I love to drive the car, I am starting to regret buying it from where I did and the decision to buy it.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine just started whining. I have 17,000 miles on it, and I just started noticing it about 700 miles ago. It's not nearly as bad as the one in the video, though. I'm not worried about it. All of my Mustangs have whined (and made other noises, too). However, I've never had any problems out of any of my Mustangs. The only problems I've had were due to modifications.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeeeeep, thats exactly what mine sounds like
Holy crap, if my car sounded like the one in the video, I would go C R A Z Y....

My 3.73 factory 5.0 sounds nothing like that. In fact, I have so little whine from the rear, and such a quiet riding car at highway cruising speeds, that I couldn't be happier with my 3.73 decision. I have about 8500-miles on the car so far, mostly highway driving, but with a good mix driving speed variation.

Hope you guys get your cars 3.73 gear whine resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My bone stock 2011 GT has 4k miles and whines in 3rd between 2600 and 3000 rpms. Almost sounds like a supercharger. No problems rest of the time. I am bring my car back to Ford for inspection.

- Peter

2011 Mustang GT convertible 6sp/Brembos/HIDs
2007 Mustang GT convertible 5sp

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have a really faint whine as well. Little more than 7,000 on the ODO and has obly become apparent to me in the last 1,000 or so miles. I can only barely hear it over the exhaust but it's there. Just downshift and hit the gas, listen to the exhaust note and let worries fly away.
^_:bigthumbsup
What he said!

·
Registered
5 Posts
New member with 2011 5.0, 3.73 and manual trans. Whine has gotten louder over last couple thousand miles. Currently just a bit over 5000. Car built in Flat Rock and have several friends that work there. Rear ends have been problematic but as I understand it the F 150 has similar issues, this info from said friends. One was sent to supplier to investigate issue and one of the things he tells me that rear ends are over filled with fluid before testing. A fair number fail. He was not surprised when i told him about the whine that developed and says the output shaft on mine is failing. My limited knowledge keeps me from knowing if this is BS or not. The whine from mine is constant but most obvious at about 45-50 mph at about 1500 rpms. My appointment for service with dealership is on Monday. Will let you know the results next week.

F

·
0 Posts
New member with 2011 5.0, 3.73 and manual trans. Whine has gotten louder over last couple thousand miles. Currently just a bit over 5000. Car built in Flat Rock and have several friends that work there. Rear ends have been problematic but as I understand it the F 150 has similar issues, this info from said friends. One was sent to supplier to investigate issue and one of the things he tells me that rear ends are over filled with fluid before testing. A fair number fail. He was not surprised when i told him about the whine that developed and says the output shaft on mine is failing. My limited knowledge keeps me from knowing if this is BS or not. The whine from mine is constant but most obvious at about 45-50 mph at about 1500 rpms. My appointment for service with dealership is on Monday. Will let you know the results next week.
Hey konagt5,

Glad to hear you already made an appointment with your Ford dealer. I’d like to escalate this for you. Could you message me with your dealer, VIN, and contact info so I can help?

Deysha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bah mine just started making the exact same noise this morning and I have just over 2800 miles on it. 2011 gt factory 3.73s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took the Mustang to the dealership Monday evening for service and received a call from Ford Customer Service on Tuesday early in the day to ask me about specifics concerning my issue. Dealership called towards the end of the day indicating that they have diagnosed the issue as bearing noise in the differential. They were tearing things down and would have the proper parts ordered and assured me that the car would be ready for me no later than Thursday. So far so good. If you are noticing noise, I would take it in for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Took the Mustang to the dealership Monday evening for service and received a call from Ford Customer Service on Tuesday early in the day to ask me about specifics concerning my issue. Dealership called towards the end of the day indicating that they have diagnosed the issue as bearing noise in the differential. They were tearing things down and would have the proper parts ordered and assured me that the car would be ready for me no later than Thursday. So far so good. If you are noticing noise, I would take it in for a diagnosis.
What year car and what ratio did you have, if you don't mind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE. As I mentioned before, I was contacted by a Ford Customer Service Representative (Deysha) after my first post concerning the whine in the rear end of my 2011 5.0. and a followup call from the local representative here in Florida on the day that I delivered the car to the dealership for repairs. A followup call the next day and another call today to see how the repair went.

Dealership had not seen this issue as a common event for this Mustang model, as I was told, nor of the three in the write up area behaved as though I was one of many.

Fluid was discolored and full of metal shavings. Left differential bearing and front pinion bearing were both bad.:weeps Both the races and bearings were replaced. Car runs as one would expect,..... quiet except for that throaty rumble coming from the duel pipes. :gringreen:gringreen

Couldn't be happier. Thanks Deysha and Jean.

Drive Safely All !!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny thing,
I’m having the same issue with my 2011 5.0. The sound is not as loud as the YouTube clip above but is noticeable. I took my car to the dealer this past Tuesday. The service tech took a ride with me in the passenger seat in which I pointed the sound out to him. The tech then told me that this was normal in these cars and there was no issue. He then instructed me to continue to drive and if I have any issues, bring it back in. I think im going to go to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. I have the 3.55 gear ratio. It seems that this problem is so common in these cars that the dealers/ Service Techs are overwhelmed with complaints from customers experiencing this. I don’t think its a normal thing when these cars start to make noises like this. I’m pretty sure that all who are experiencing this issue did not have this problem when their vehicles were first purchased. This problem came after putting miles on the car.
Well, off to another dealer.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts