Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 Mustang GT- Leaking Differential

7811 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  2012Appaloosa
Greetings all, it has been awhile! This website has been an amazing resource for me, and I still read the GT Tech section almost daily. FYI, I have a 2011 Mustang GT. That was my daily driver for almost 2 years, and I have driven it once every 2 weeks for the last year. I had a mechanic install my Ford Racing P springs last night, and upon completion, he warned me that the car had a significant leak in the differential vent. All i have come up with is that this is a) not an isolated problem, and b) there was a tsb issued for this, but it only applies to 2005-2010 cars. Is this correct? Has anyone experienced this issue and/or have any insight? I will be posting pics when I get home. Thanks in advance!
See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G
You are in luck Matt, as the TSB Does include 2011+ Stangs. that develop the Leaky Vent issue!wrenchin.gif
They will just install the little White Nylon Reservoir up on top of your Axle (If it is Indeed leaking from the Vent Tube.)
There have been plenty of Members that have had this taken care of on 2011+ Mustangs.....

Sean
See less See more
I had the same issue on mine, and was fixed under warranty. No more leaks
G
I also had a leak in similar location on my '13 GT; It was a differential leak at the rear axle drive pinion seal. The seal was removed and replaced under warranty.
Depending on how you use your car, that TSB will do anything from fix the problem to absolutely nothing- my history of axle vent solutions-

I decided to work on catch cans- here's a brief history of my axle vent "solutions"-

My catch can history-

1- No fix, factory setup. Fluid everywhere. This sucked.

2- Did the Ford sex toy/turkey baster TSB. Fluid everywhere, this sucked.

3- Tried a $10 fix. Fitted a booze flask with an NPT barb and some oil resistant line, pushed the other end of the line on Ford's axle-barb fitting. This worked ok for a while, eventually the thin walls of the flask started to leak by the fitting I put in there. Note- the picture was a test fit. Yes, I did eventually tape it.

4- The "real" fix. I bought a catch can at Smiley's and put it in the trunk. The AN fittings are probably overkill, but I REALLY don't want to be smelling gear oil inside the car. **** smells BAD. Drilled and tapped the axle for an NPT hose barb. The barb fitting that Ford uses is some weird straight-thread fitting. The threads are filled with some nylon or something, and it's a one-use thing. Once you remove it, it never fits tight again. Also- the barb on Ford's fitting fits neither a -6 or a -4 hose...so...yeah. I ran a long line from the top of the catch can back under the car and zip-tied it to the swaybar. I figure, if I fill that can and overflow to that point, I'm having worse trouble than putting oil on the track. This setup got its first test at a track on Staurday and performed flawlessly! Thanks to [email protected] for helping me out getting this completely finished.

You can see the 90 degree brass fitting on the axle, just barely.
See less See more
My car vent on right side tube mine never leaked. But I put Boss 302 alum rear cover put vent in the cover and plugged axle vent with pipe plug
G
Greetings all, it has been awhile! This website has been an amazing resource for me, and I still read the GT Tech section almost daily. FYI, I have a 2011 Mustang GT. That was my daily driver for almost 2 years, and I have driven it once every 2 weeks for the last year. I had a mechanic install my Ford Racing P springs last night, and upon completion, he warned me that the car had a significant leak in the differential vent. All i have come up with is that this is a) not an isolated problem, and b) there was a tsb issued for this, but it only applies to 2005-2010 cars. Is this correct? Has anyone experienced this issue and/or have any insight? I will be posting pics when I get home. Thanks in advance!
Hello Mattmonay,

You should have it checked out at your dealer. Your service manager is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
See less See more
Update

Thank you guys so much for the information! "Sex Toy" fix... Lol! This site has been so helpful for me over the years... I'd be so lost without yall! Haha. I scheduled an appointment to take it in to the dealership today, as I know I should always follow Deysha's instructions ;) I will post an update and hopefully upload the pics properly tomorrow or later on tonight. Thanks again!
See less See more
Thank you guys so much for the information! "Sex Toy" fix... Lol! This site has been so helpful for me over the years... I'd be so lost without yall! Haha. I scheduled an appointment to take it in to the dealership today, as I know I should always follow Deysha's instructions ;) I will post an update and hopefully upload the pics properly tomorrow or later on tonight. Thanks again!
You think I'm kidding, but look at it. Kinky.
See less See more
I went with the TSB "Turkey Baster" route..
I went with the TSB "Turkey Baster" route..
Any issues with heat from the exhaust? Anything melt? Did it survive a hot summer?

Thanks.
Update- just dropped it off, they will look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice! I'll post with updates once i talk to them
My car vent on right side tube mine never leaked. But I put Boss 302 alum rear cover put vent in the cover and plugged axle vent with pipe plug

Definitely this!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
See less See more
I'm able to buy cover for 72.00 from local dealership and got few for my friends
G
Lol! Thanks, Mattmonay! Keep me posted.

Deysha
See less See more
Update-
So... When I was looking at the car before dropping it off, I noticed a bit of oil below a bolt on the valve cover... Keep in mind that I got the oil changed last week at this same Ford dealership that has done the maintenance and oil changes on the car. I mentioned this oil situation to the service adviser when I called, and he stated that he would look at it along with the leaking differential. When I picked it up, the service adviser stated that the oil was due to a technician spilling it onto the engine, rather than a leak. He said that to be sure that it was just a minor spill, the technician added engine oil dye to the system and stated that it no longer was leaking. As for the differential, the TSB 12-8-15 was performed for the rear drive axle vent leak. The technician "removed Tube and thread, sealed and cleaned area and checked fluid level, topped off fluid according to spec given in tsb, 5mm below fill hole." This morning, I decided that I might as well take my beautiful and healthy mustang to work. When I had driven approximately 3 miles from my house, all of a sudden I hear a loud, intermittent ticking noise that seems to be coming from in front of the center AC vents. By loud, I mean that I heard the ticking with the windows down going 70mph on the freeway. I immediately called to report this to the service adviser, and told him I would bring it in again today if it persisted... And on the way home... No tick, no nothing, just a smooth ride home... I will get under the car sometime soon to check the differential, but I am definitely concerned about that ticking noise that I have never heard before.
See less See more
Any issues with heat from the exhaust? Anything melt? Did it survive a hot summer?

Thanks.

No issues at all..
See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.