Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add some horsepower to my 2011 GT California Special. I recently bought it and paid for the new car warranty on it. I want to add some performance parts without voiding my warranty. I mostly want simple things like cold air intakes and performance exhaust that isn't too loud. I like Steeda cold air intakes but don't want to tune it as that would void my warranty. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Ya save your money, the cold air intake from Ford works just fine,axle backs will NOT void your warranty and make your GT sound great.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Get the airaid cai + race tune from Bama. That's all you need to add easy 30hp to the wheels and to wake th Car up! It also comes with a warranty. Don't listen to people who say stock box is good enough. There are millions of data on the Internet proving that people have gained 30-35hp with a intake/tune package,
Over stock! All the stock air box supporters seem to be a part of a new cult who think they are the coolest and wanna just simply find reasons to argue :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid for a new car warranty, 6 year/90k miles. I don't want to void it over a CAI/tuner. Is there any way to use an aftermarket CAI without voiding my warranty? I'm afraid using the Steeda intake without programming it will make it run weird.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I paid for a new car warranty, 6 year/90k miles. I don't want to void it over a CAI/tuner. Is there any way to use an aftermarket CAI without voiding my warranty? I'm afraid using the Steeda intake without programming it will make it run weird.
There are many CAI's that don't require a tune. A tune is required when the cross-sectional area of the air intake pipe is different from the stock pipe. The tune is required, in that case, to correct the MAF sensor tables that tell the engine how much air is flowing in over the MAF sensor. Many CAI's use the same intake tube cross-sectional area pipe and don't need a tune to correct the MAF tables in the ECU (Electronic Control Unit). While installing the CAI is not likely to "void the warranty," it could cause Ford to refuse a warranty claim if they thought the aftermarket CAI was the cause of an engine problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't sucker for the horsepower number! Torque causes acceleration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From what I have read on this thread, you are not giving too many options for you to really do any real power mods. You already have 3.73's and you don't want to tune due to the warranty. Any real modification that is worth the money that you pay for it, will or possibly will, void some part of your warranty. If I were you, I would get used to the horsepower that you already have... maybe get yourself a set of wheels and tires (slicks) for the track if you plan on racing it. Otherwise, without the ability to tune the vehicle, you are wasting money. I would get a simple axle-back too, for sound, not really that much power difference. The best CAI option without the tune is your stock CAI, IMHO.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
43 Posts
cai worth it?

Get the airaid cai + race tune from Bama. That's all you need to add easy 30hp to the wheels and to wake th Car up! It also comes with a warranty. Don't listen to people who say stock box is good enough. There are millions of data on the Internet proving that people have gained 30-35hp with a intake/tune package,
Over stock! All the stock air box supporters seem to be a part of a new cult who think they are the coolest and wanna just simply find reasons to argue :)
I ve done back to back testing at the track and got no gains from a cold air over the stock airbox. What proof do you have cold air intakes improve performance. If you add forced induction then maybe you have a point but most mild na cars dont gain anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I have read on this thread, you are not giving too many options for you to really do any real power mods. You already have 3.73's and you don't want to tune due to the warranty. Any real modification that is worth the money that you pay for it, will or possibly will, void some part of your warranty. If I were you, I would get used to the horsepower that you already have... maybe get yourself a set of wheels and tires (slicks) for the track if you plan on racing it. Otherwise, without the ability to tune the vehicle, you are wasting money. I would get a simple axle-back too, for sound, not really that much power difference. The best CAI option without the tune is your stock CAI, IMHO.:bigthumbsup
+1...You were reading my mind!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ditto on keeping the stock CAI.

If you really want some power and want to keep a warranty, you can flip your wallet open and buy a Roushcharger and purchase a powertrain warranty to go with it. Edelbrock also offers the same kind of deal. There may be others as well.

But you said you paid for a new car warranty for something like 6 years? You don't want to mess that up. You're pretty much stuck. Sorry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am looking to add some horsepower to my 2011 GT California Special. I recently bought it and paid for the new car warranty on it. I want to add some performance parts without voiding my warranty. I mostly want simple things like cold air intakes and performance exhaust that isn't too loud. I like Steeda cold air intakes but don't want to tune it as that would void my warranty. Any help?
Our CAI flows more air and as such requires a re-tune of the vehicle's computer. If you install our CAI and do not re-tune for the CAI it can cause engine damage.

I suggest speaking to your service manager about installing any aftermarket parts beforehand (as Ford actually leaves warranty voidance up to the dealership) and let them know that it's a Steeda part as we have a close relationship with Ford. I also recommend reading more on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which basically states that your warranty cannot be voided from simply installing an aftermarket part.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm running the 3.73 rear end. Can anyone tell me the best CAI option out there without tuning?
Get the Air Raid cai it can be used with or without a tune. There's a plastic Insert Sleeve that comes with it and its quite simple ,with the sleeve inserted no tune required and without sleeve a tune is required. Hope that helps since everyone was dancing around your question. And no it does not void your warranty

·
Registered
66 Posts
Again, if you are concerned about warranty issues you may want to consider the FRPP Procal to tune your car. Have Ford install it. I also wonder if the stock box is as efficient as an aftermarket CAI, as I haven't seen FRPP include one with a conical filter on any of the kits with the 11+ cars as was on the 05-10s.

·
Registered
101 Posts
NONE of the no tune CAIs will give you any noticable gain, Even the tune CAIs really only gain from the tune, Leave the stock air box intact, and go with a ford racing or roush supercharger, so you can still have a warranty. other than that theres not mnuch you can do, the FRPP procal tune is great, but you will give up your 6/90 warranty if you use it. You will however still retain the factory 3/36 warranty.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This article is worth a read:
Ford TSB Warns Of Modifications To 2011-2012 5.0 Mustangs

TSB 11-7-7 is Fords way of saying that they are really frowning on aftermarket tunes and hardware modifications. Ford Corporate is the final decision maker on whether a warranty claim will be paid by Ford. The dealer can make the fix, but if Ford refuses to pay due to modifications, the dealer is out the cost of the repair. The dealers have gotten rather careful about GT warranty claims associated with the power/drive-train.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
This article is worth a read:
Ford TSB Warns Of Modifications To 2011-2012 5.0 Mustangs

TSB 11-7-7 is Fords way of saying that they are really frowning on aftermarket tunes and hardware modifications. Ford Corporate is the final decision maker on whether a warranty claim will be paid by Ford. The dealer can make the fix, but if Ford refuses to pay due to modifications, the dealer is out the cost of the repair. The dealers have gotten rather careful about GT warranty claims associated with the power/drive-train.

Old news. Sure Ford sent out a TSB for it but that doesn't mean other manufacturers don't follow the same MO. You think if you detonated a Camaro, GM would be right there to save you from drowning? Yeah...NO.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Old news. Sure Ford sent out a TSB for it but that doesn't mean other manufacturers don't follow the same MO. You think if you detonated a Camaro, GM would be right there to save you from drowning? Yeah...NO.
Not always "old news" to new Mustang owners:winks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts