Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
At least they didnt put the intake in the worst place possible.
/sarcasm

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I was going to say... that intake... wth????

·
Registered
927 Posts
lmao im with those guys, what are they thinking putting the intake there?!!?

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
i dont understand why they would put the intake there either. but id imagine that thats the only place they could squeze it in. theyve been in the buisness long enough and there one of the best supercharger manufacturers out there, they gotta know what there doing.

im curious to see how the new 5.0s are going to react to a little boost. that 11:1 compression and boost will be pretty interesting.

btw, i was at a car show and some import guy was telling me something about raising compression, putting on a bigger poweradder (turbo) with less boost, and running E85 fuel and making more horsepower than lowering compression and running more boost. has anybody else heard of this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i dont understand why they would put the intake there either. but id imagine that thats the only place they could squeze it in. theyve been in the buisness long enough and there one of the best supercharger manufacturers out there, they gotta know what there doing.

im curious to see how the new 5.0s are going to react to a little boost. that 11:1 compression and boost will be pretty interesting.

btw, i was at a car show and some import guy was telling me something about raising compression, putting on a bigger poweradder (turbo) with less boost, and running E85 fuel and making more horsepower than lowering compression and running more boost. has anybody else heard of this?
Look, power adders raise compression in the cylinders. That is the point. More compression means detonation is more likely. Detonation kills motors. The "cant put boost on high compression" thing started back when superchargers started to get put on big muscle car engines. In those days, you couldnt tune accurate enough to tune out detonation on high boost and high compression. These days, the engines have the technology to combat this. The 5.0 has knock sensors in it and will retard timing at the first sign of detonation. E85 also has a higher octane (like, 105) and more octane means less knock. So, higher compression, with more boost, and more octane = more power. As far as the 5.0 goes, a good tuner should be able to get good power out of it on low boost.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Look, power adders raise compression in the cylinders. That is the point. More compression means detonation is more likely. Detonation kills motors. The "cant put boost on high compression" thing started back when superchargers started to get put on big muscle car engines. In those days, you couldnt tune accurate enough to tune out detonation on high boost and high compression. These days, the engines have the technology to combat this. The 5.0 has knock sensors in it and will retard timing at the first sign of detonation. E85 also has a higher octane (like, 105) and more octane means less knock. So, higher compression, with more boost, and more octane = more power. As far as the 5.0 goes, a good tuner should be able to get good power out of it on low boost.

As a followup to this statement: yes current technology has allowed us to run boost, albeit low, with high compression. But understand, this brings us much closer to the ragged edge of the performance envelope. Add to this the possibility of bad gas, poor tune and/or mis-matched parts with a h/c blown application.. plan on pickin up alot of motor parts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hmm... so hot air from the engine will be right next to the intake... sweeeet! :rollgrin:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Actually that should suck some air from the cowl area right or is the hood completely sealed off? Just curious as i know the old muscle cars use to have cowl hoods to help air flow to the air cleaner and venting of hot underhood air.
On that note I don't notice any earlier s197 owners complaining about the power gains or intake temps to much from their procharger systems:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im lovin procharger,All the cars at the track equipped with these are flying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.