Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gentlemen..

I had roof replacement about 2 years ago after some drunk guy jumped on my hood in downtown LA. I have since got it replaced. The body shop welded a new roof in.

Everything seemed fine until it rained really hard for 3 days while my car was parked outside. When I went inside my car, it smelled like mildew and the carpet was a little damp.

The body shop that I went to is now under new ownership and will not help me out.

Is there anything I can use to possibly cover the leak and fix this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
That would depend on where the roof is leaking. Is it the seal around the back glass? Or is it leaking where they welded the new roof on? It may be as easy as just applying some clear silicone, or it may have to be rewelded due to a break in the weld the body shop used. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They probably did not properly use a factory type seam sealer. The best thing to do would be to take it to a reputable shop to have it sealed. Do NOT use silicone in an attempt to seal it. Silicone is for making gaskets between two surfaces. In a stressed area exposed to heat/cold like your roof the silicone will peal away and you'll be back at square one. Worse comes to worse you want to use an automotive urethane and cover every seam.

Better off let the pros do it though.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Where was the carpet wet ? If it's on the front passenger side then this could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I did the water test, it was actually leaking from the windshield on the top left hand corner. Yes the carpet was very wet still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts