Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2011 Mustang GT vs 04 terminator?

15K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  JetBlack 
#1 ·
The 2011 gt pushing 400hp & 400 tq...We hope.
The 2004 cobra supercharged 390+ HP & 390 TQ
With that being said,is there anyone who thinks the terminator will finally get a run for its money by a gt?:headscratch:

#5 ·
It wouldn't have to weigh less than the Cobra, if the weights were equal then the 2011 would still have 10hp on the Cobra. Now if it can't get that power to the ground efficiently then that's a different story.

#7 ·
It wouldn't have to weigh less than the Cobra, if the weights were equal then the 2011 would still have 10hp on the Cobra. Now if it can't get that power to the ground efficiently then that's a different story.
But take this into consideration...that 390 on the cobra was under rated due to the recalls on the 99 and some were gettin 415+ to the wheels on a dyno run.

#9 ·
I think the newer S197 bodystyle is noticeably heavier too, isn't it?[/quote]

2004 cobra 3665
05 GT vert 3614
07 GT 3483
09 GT 3356
These are #'s I pulled off a google search and you know how that goes so take it as you will.:headscratch:

#11 ·
Keep in mind that Ford has obviously had 7 years to improve upon the SN95.

I bet the new 5.0 will win, so long as it has the optional 3.73 gears.
Not sure... because they ran a versus challenge on the 04 terminator vs the new gt 500 and the terminator won the 1/4 mile challenge.

#12 ·
#13 ·
2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Road Test & Review - Automobile Magazine
This link says that the 04 cobra ran a 13.4 in the quarter if that at all reflects how good drivers ran the cobra at the track then I would think that the 2011 will certainly beat the 04 cobra and if those specs are wrong by .4 or more seconds then the 04 will remain the champ.
The trap speed is what matters. Besides, I think you could add a couple of MPHs to that 109...even still, that 109 MPH indicates a high 12 second car with sticky tires :bigthumbsup

#17 ·
Where did a 13.4 come for the Cobras 1/4 mile time? Thats ridiculous. While Im sure someone ran their Cobra that slow, Cobras were mid 12's to however slow others got them.(Temperature, track location, DA differences, driver skill).. And 415 to the rear wheels? Maybe one or two superfreaks. Most got 350-380. I was gonna buy one but people wanted too much money at the time. Im sure that it will be a drivers race as are most races with torquey V8s at the track. If you cant drive your car you will lose. And a 12.8 for the GT500 isnt too bad. Launching 500 hp at the track is easier said than done for most people. I saw a GT500 run in the 13's because the guy could not launch at all. Ill give the 2011 a slight edge for novice drivers as it will be easier to launch a high revving not so torquey DOHC than a positive displacment blower car. But get a good driver in the Cobra that can launch it and my moneys on the Cobra.

#20 ·
Where did a 13.4 come for the Cobras 1/4 mile time? Thats ridiculous. While Im sure someone ran their Cobra that slow, Cobras were mid 12's to however slow others got them.(Temperature, track location, DA differences, driver skill).. And 415 to the rear wheels? Maybe one or two superfreaks. Most got 350-380. I was gonna buy one but people wanted too much money at the time. Im sure that it will be a drivers race as are most races with torquey V8s at the track. If you cant drive your car you will lose. And a 12.8 for the GT500 isnt too bad. Launching 500 hp at the track is easier said than done for most people. I saw a GT500 run in the 13's because the guy could not launch at all. Ill give the 2011 a slight edge for novice drivers as it will be easier to launch a high revving not so torquey DOHC than a positive displacment blower car. But get a good driver in the Cobra that can launch it and my moneys on the Cobra.
350-380? Ford underated them on purpose because of all the recalls and pissed customers that bought a 99 cobra (i was one of them) but then again the interweb has all kinds of misleading info.Just like youve seen only a few superfreaks get 415+ to the wheels stock,the 350-380 stock is a new one to me.Whatever the case may be it was and is still one of the best EVER made.

#24 ·
The biggest question I have about the new Coyote engine is how will it respond to boost? I mean is it gonna have 11:1 compression? Is it gonna be a hi rever? Are the internals gonna be forged? Imagine if it comes with forged internals and you can add a dealer installed supercharger!!! Peace of mind!!!
I want this. A forged internals 400hp 9.8:1 compression high revver. Take dat Camaro!

#26 ·
Keep in mind Motor Trend is usually at least 1/2 to 3/4 second off most of the other mags out there. I don't know if they do it to everyone or just Ford, but I've noticed it on the GT and Shelby's too.

#27 ·
Yeah Motortrend usually sucks. But recently they have redeemed themselves to me when they drove a 05 GT to a 13.5. And they also drove a stock Mach 1 to 13.2 @ 106!!!
Hopefully we will know soon what the final power ratings will be. Even if its 400hp this will be the biggest power increase of a Mustang GT.(Modern ones 79-now) With 400hp and its lighter weight this will be the first time a Stang could beat a Camaro (Of equal stature) since the 5.0 in the early 90's.

#29 ·
By the way, if you read ALL of the articles on the 03-04 Cobras you'll find that quarter mile times range from 12.5- to high 13's. I think it depends on the conditions and who was driving. Personally I think the Cobra would get it just based upon power to weight ratio. The newer Mustangs 05 and up weigh in at just under 4000 lbs, while the svt Cobra coupe weighs in at 3700 lbs. If Fords planning on a DOHC motor with a bigger displacement most likely its going to weigh more then the current 4.6 motor. Also putting more weight up front will cause more wheel spin which will not help. Also, the 03-04 Cobra is so easily modded that with 2k you can have a 450 rwhp beast.

I don't know if you guys noticed but Motortrend wrote an article on the 2010 GT500 vs the 2010 Camaro and they reported that the Mustang ran a 12.8 vs the Camaro's 12.9... Numbers seem a little off if you ask me :headscratch: The GT 500 had 114 more hp yet could only muster a tenth of a second quicker. I'm pretty sure GM is sucking off the guys at motortrend based upon the ever so clear bias toward the Mustang. Anyways just thought I'd throw that in :nono:

#30 ·
Terminator wins. Torque advantage of the blown motor down low where the n/a motor will need to "run it down." Highly unlikely as the Terminator won't run out of steam soon enough in the quarter. Nice race though, and about time the stock GT got that kind of power!!!

#32 ·
By the way, if you look at the several different magazines which raced the Cobra back in 03 04 you will see a pretty big difference in track times. I've read that Cobras (stock) run 12 seconds all the way to about 13.5. I guess it depends on who the driver is, the elevation of the track, and what the conditions are for that day.

For instance, if you go over to motortrend's website, you will see that the new 2010 Mustang GT 500 only ran like a 12.8 vs the Camaro's 12.9. But then again, its motortrend. Seems to always favor GM...

Check this article out if you dont believe me. 04 Cobra vs GTO Article

#33 ·
I have personally run a bone stock 03 cobra 12.67@115, and seen a 2010 run a 12.45 @ 109 with dr's, 3k stall and a really good tune.

The 2010's curb weight is 3533 and the 5.0 is only 10-20lbs heavier (not sure about the 6speed's weight) I think it will be a close race.

With that being said, I have just traded in a 04 cobra vert that was running 11.72 @ 124.60 with 442 rwhp/462 tq. No regrets here.

YouTube - 11.72 @ 124.60

I love my 2010 GT. Sure, it is not as fast, but wow is it refined. I really impressed with the improvements. For $5500 I can strap on a whipple, kenne Bell, or Procharger and see high 11's.

I guess it depends on what you consider better. The 5.0 is 11.0 to 1 compression. Boosting is going to be limited and aftermarket parts slow to hit the market. It does not use the same parts as the 4.6.

Just think about it this way, at least we are debating which "STOCK" 12 sec Mustang is better. When was the last time you could debate that issue

#34 ·
this is good to see! been a LONG time since we compared Mustangs against each other.
I say the 6 speed trannys Auto or stick will be a advantage for the heavier S197's...over the terminators. with more gears or lower gears I shoulkd say..gets the heavy car out of the gate just as fast as the 04 cars. I dont see the 2011 running down the Terminator. it would be a darn colse race..driver will determine who wins.

#39 ·
I say the 6 speed trannys Auto or stick will be a advantage for the heavier S197's...over the terminators.
the termi's were 6-spds so i don't know where the "advantage" comes from :hihi:, i would thing that it would be a close race stock but a good driver in both i would give the nod to the termi :yup: torque wins :smartass:

#36 ·
The Cobra is actually heavier. IRS, the 32 valve iron block V8, and the supercharger and intercooler all add weight over the upcoming GT. Cobras were underrated and most made 410-430hp stock at the crank. If the new GT has 412 like rumors say, it should be close. The new GT track pack will probably have stickier tires and the solid axle favors straight lines. Should be a decent race either way. I'm saying 12.80s for both cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.