Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
concidering this will be my everyday driver, I was wanting to know what kind of wheels and snow tires I should be getting. I've taken my V6 through a Midwest Blizzard without going out going off the road, but I want to make sure my wife and I are taken care off durring that time. BTW I've got to go CHEAP on this.....2 sets of them, good lord.......:kooky:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you check out www.tirerack.com for some ideas? They have a winter tire/wheel section that gives reccomendations for specific vehicles.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You are going to drive your 2011 gt in snow? Why not save the money u will spend on winter tires and buy a Crappy winter car. I drive a 99 civic. Why drive ur baby in the snow... just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are going to drive your 2011 gt in snow? Why not save the money u will spend on winter tires and buy a Crappy winter car. I drive a 99 civic. Why drive ur baby in the snow... just my 2 cents!

A. my Place only has two places to park cars indoor, one for me and one for my wife. We have break ins all the time over here.

B. I have to drive something reliable cause my job requires me to drive around KC, 65 miles this week alone. a $1,500 car ain't going to make it around in 5 to 10 inches of snow.......:what:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also will be driving my mustang in winter. I have 2 car garage. 1 spot for me and 1 for wife. I bet the mustang will be good with snow tires.

Anyone think the all seasons can handle snow? I was thinking of giving it a try.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been very happy with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. I'd go with Nokian WGR2s for all season tire if someone really wanted to run them year round with emphasis on snow driving. You might get by with regular all-seasons, but take a quick look at your insurance deductible. Money spent on winter tires will prevent you from blowing your deductible when you slide and scratch someone's paint(that's all it takes nowadays).

I'm not sure on size restrictions with the GT, but I drop down to a smaller wheel - OEM, cheap alloy, or steelie(they'll take abuse) so tires are cheaper, larger sidewall to protect against potholes and other winter hazards. Thinner tires cut through snow better and increase the front to back contact patch size.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone knows if we can put 17inches wheels in the 2011 GT?
Tirerack says yes, but I'm not sure.
That would be my preferred option for the winter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Michellin pilot A/S. I have had them on my last 3 cars and will be one of the first things I put on my 11 GT one. I have them on my BMW M3 this past winter. We had 3 huge storms and the only thing that stopped me was ground clearance. Up to 6-8 inches of snow was not a problem.

There are pricey but you can use them year round and I usually get 40 - 50 K on the fronts. Sometimes a little less on the rears:racer::D

·
Registered
648 Posts
My plan is to go with 4 Firestone Winterforce Tires

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, this is a great place to start!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just posting this info for later review.

Type Four-wheel power disc brakes with 4-sensor,
4-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS)

Front 336 (13.2 in) x 36 mm vented discs,
twin-piston 43-mm floating aluminum calipers

Rear 300 (11.8 in) x 19 mm vented discs,​
single-piston 43-mm floating iron calipers

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been very happy with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. I'd go with Nokian WGR2s for all season tire if someone really wanted to run them year round with emphasis on snow driving. You might get by with regular all-seasons, but take a quick look at your insurance deductible. Money spent on winter tires will prevent you from blowing your deductible when you slide and scratch someone's paint(that's all it takes nowadays).

I'm not sure on size restrictions with the GT, but I drop down to a smaller wheel - OEM, cheap alloy, or steelie(they'll take abuse) so tires are cheaper, larger sidewall to protect against potholes and other winter hazards. Thinner tires cut through snow better and increase the front to back contact patch size.
X2 :bigthumbsup

Blizzak WS-60s and steel/smaller wheels should get you where you need to go. I wouldn't even opt for all seasons - go for a dedicated snow tire and drive with confidence through the harshest conditions (including ice).

·
Registered
13 Posts
if I drive my stang this winter (getting it in november) I will use the stock 18" rims as snows. I will sell the stock tires to help offset the price of the snows. Over the winter Im going to buy a set of aftermarket wheels anyway so this makes sense to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Considering driving my GT (with Brembo package) in the winter as well.

Has anyone confirmed that the Shelby 18" wheels will fit? Sounds like a good option if it's workable.

Just want to price out a package to see if it's more cost effective than keeping my Civic around for winter driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Considering driving my GT (with Brembo package) in the winter as well.

Has anyone confirmed that the Shelby 18" wheels will fit? Sounds like a good option if it's workable.

Just want to price out a package to see if it's more cost effective than keeping my Civic around for winter driving.
Hey if we have a winter in tdot like last year driving our stangs will be a breeze. if we have one like the year before...not so much lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Crazy, Scott, if you end up getting snows, I am interested as to which you get and where you got them from. I live in the same general area... Gotta get some input on this snow tire issue!

·
Registered
29 Posts
This was exactly the information I was looking for as well. I currently own a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt. It has survived 9 Texas winters. While we don't get a lot of snow, we do get ice. I've had some close calls over the years with the Bullitt, but made it through each time. Now, I'm about to order a 2011 GT Convertible with Brembo and noticed that it comes with Summer tires. I was very concerned about that in the winter since I planned on using it as my daily driver. Now, I'm considering my options. I could hang onto the Bullitt and use it as my Winter car or sell it and get a Winter beater or I could get the cheaper 17" wheels and winter tires. I still haven't made up my mind, but right now I'm leaning towards the 17" wheels and winter tires.

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
This was exactly the information I was looking for as well. I currently own a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt. It has survived 9 Texas winters. While we don't get a lot of snow, we do get ice. I've had some close calls over the years with the Bullitt, but made it through each time. Now, I'm about to order a 2011 GT Convertible with Brembo and noticed that it comes with Summer tires. I was very concerned about that in the winter since I planned on using it as my daily driver. Now, I'm considering my options. I could hang onto the Bullitt and use it as my Winter car or sell it and get a Winter beater or I could get the cheaper 17" wheels and winter tires. I still haven't made up my mind, but right now I'm leaning towards the 17" wheels and winter tires.

Jeff
Based on the stuff I've read, the 17" wheels won't fit over the Brembos so would have to go 18" minimum. Hopefully, someone will figure out a good combination over the next couple of months. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my Civic just in case :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts