Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2011 5.0 GT on order with the accessory package #4, hood scoop and pedestal spoiler. Love the look, but hate the "seam" where the fake scoop joins on to the hood. Anyone have a way of hiding or camouflaging it?

I was thinking that if I can't hide it, to ask the dealership to not install the scoop if they do it. Not sure if it is done at the factory or dealer installed. Anyone know?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think that is a factory install, at least here in the US. That is the reason why I am not a fan of the hood scoop. I couldn't get over that seam when I saw it on one of the cars at the dealer.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You can't hide the seem, the metal hood expands and contracts at different rates than the plastic scoop when it heats up and cools down.

Those accessory packages come installed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best looking hood scoop

I was watching a video on youtube called 2011 Mustang GT with Borla S-Type Exhaust and the hood on that GT is really nice looking with a scoop with no seam take a look you might like it, the website you could find the hood is Trufiber.com let me know what you think I'm thinking on getting that setup.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was watching a video on youtube called 2011 Mustang GT with Borla S-Type Exhaust and the hood on that GT is really nice looking with a scoop with no seam take a look you might like it, the website you could find the hood is Trufiber.com let me know what you think I'm thinking on getting that setup.
Those hoods look cool!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Best way to hide it I think is to take some fishing line and slide it between the hood and the scoop. Then drive off real quick, that should just about do it.:winks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If you are worried, I'd just pass on the fake hood scoop. The "seam" makes the fake scoop like even more silly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was grumbling to one of the old timers at work about how hideous the fake hood scoops look, and he claimed there was some historical significance to it. Did Ford do some real hood scoops this way back in the day?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was grumbling to one of the old timers at work about how hideous the fake hood scoops look, and he claimed there was some historical significance to it. Did Ford do some real hood scoops this way back in the day?
I guess if you want to be technical, there's some historical significance to the Mustang II also, but it doesnt mean I'm gonna want one.:yakyak:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Im pretty sure they punch holes in the hood (4 of them from factory) if you order the hood scoop option... It's not just taped on.

Screw that! Would suck if you wanted to take it off for a more clean look.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you want a real hood scoop, get a shaker installed. It will run you around 800-1200 but it's real functional hood scoop.

From the very start ford was putting fake air vents on the mustang.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dealer pointed this out when I took it in to get my rim scratched - I mean my valve stem fixed and said it I'd need to leave it over at their body shop for the day.

I like the scoop look even though its not functional but the stick-on technology sucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

I just installed a factory style hood scoop and I like it better than no scoop at all. However, in a perfect world, I'd love to get rid of those seams. It appears to stick out more against my 'race red' paint than what I've seen on other Mustangs -- but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyway, I was thinking of having a body shot fill in the seams and repaint the hood for a seamless look. However, someone on this thread mentioned that won't work with the fiberglass scoop on the metal hood.

Anyone else agree or disagree with this?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Best way to hide it I think is to take some fishing line and slide it between the hood and the scoop. Then drive off real quick, that should just about do it.:winks
Unfortunately it's bolted on too.

I wanted so bad to get the hood scoop, I had one on my '72 Gran Torino Sport I took out the blocking plates and put in baffles to make it functional. Too bad they don't make a shaker hood that's not so small. On the '10+ hoods they look tiny like a Sirius antenna (no offense to anyone that has one, just my opinion).

Unfortunately the exercise was a PITA to get because I wanted the backup camera just as much and you couldn't get the Acc. Pack with the backup camera, and if you ordered the scoop to put on yourself you had to put on the OTT stripes yourself too at twice the cost. In the end I figured it wasn't the hassle for a fake scoop -- at least if you get the side scoops you can peel them off if you get tired of them. They drill holes in the hood for the scoop though.:nono:

Anyway, I was thinking of having a body shot fill in the seams and repaint the hood for a seamless look. However, someone on this thread mentioned that won't work with the fiberglass scoop on the metal hood.

Well, you could give it a shot, I think it'll crack seeing it's only tacked on by a few bolts and 3M tape. Too much flexing going on. I think you'd be better off investing in a new hood or living with what you have. IMO

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Here's the thing, though about the flexing issue. Essentially, the seams would be filled in with some sort of body filler, then sanded smooth and primed/painted.

Would normal body filler not have a slightly different "flex rate" than medal anyway? Would the scoop really expand/contract that much more than the filler and hood?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Here's the thing, though about the flexing issue. Essentially, the seams would be filled in with some sort of body filler, then sanded smooth and primed/painted.

Would normal body filler not have a slightly different "flex rate" than medal anyway? Would the scoop really expand/contract that much more than the filler and hood?
I couldn't really say if the expansion/contraction rate would be an issue or not.

I'm referring to "body flex" and vibration as you drive down the road. To get proper adhesion you're going to take it down to bare metal/plastic and fill it with (IMO) a fibreglass-filled filler. Light coats, multiple layers. You're really looking at a lot of work, definitely not something you want to do it this isn't your first attempt at bodywork.

If I had my heart set on it I'd get the opinion of an experienced bodyman. I do minor bodywork/repair but something of this scope I'd contract out to a professional. You think a seam is a big annoyance? Screw up your hood with a botched job and it'd really be annoying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

I just installed a factory style hood scoop and I like it better than no scoop at all. However, in a perfect world, I'd love to get rid of those seams. It appears to stick out more against my 'race red' paint than what I've seen on other Mustangs -- but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Any pics you can post? I've been kicking this idea around also for my Race Red. But the seam issue is turning me off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it doesn't make the car faster or perform better, why have it? I would never want to use the word "fake" when describing my Mustang.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife and I have ours purely for the look, which is what its all about. If you don't want it ok with me. Now mine is taped on, cause I see no bolts under the hood and its from the factory.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts