Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone,

I found a 2011 Mustang Convertible V6 (automatic) with 47k miles for $14.9k. The seller showed me auto check and it appears to have been involved in an accident involving an animal and a second minor accident involving a car.

Further review shows that this car was a part of a rental fleet in California.

The interior is near immaculate as is the exterior; no scratches, dents, etc. I have driven the car on two separate occasions; the first involved speeds that would be questionable; the second trip was roughly 30+ miles on a variety of roads (highway, backroads, etc). The transmission seemed in good working order at both low and high speeds and accelerating from 10-80 mph (<1k - 5k revs).

I'm planning to have my mechanic take a look at the vehicle this coming Wednesday, but I was curious whether or not this sounds like a fair price; or should I run from this potential sale?

I believe the 2011 is still covered by Ford's powertrain warranty for 5 yr / 100,000 mile whichever comes first.

This car would be my daily driver; anywhere between 20-70 miles per day.

Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Kinda risky honestly. I wouldn't do it. It's just way too many curcumstsnces.

But if you have money fit potential repairs, go for it

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought powertrain warranty was 5 years/60,000 miles? Either way, the car would still be covered by it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sounds o.k. to me if the mechanic has experience checking out body damage. If that person says damage is only minor...no real unibody damage, then car may be o.k.
Be sure he checks under dash and under kick panels for flood damage. If you can, get with him, with drop light in hand, looking at entire bottom of car for any metal damage. Remove base cushion of rear seat to look for any water. Smell carpets with your nose up to them for mildew..as that's the most common problem with convertibles. Lift both front corners of carpet to check for water and/or mildew in padding under carpet. Check for any water damage around SJB...smart junction box...fuse box...above/behind passenger kick panel...remove that panel to check thoroughly. Remove carpet from trunk area and check underneath thoroughly.

Ask if transmission oil has been changed. I believe it is supposed to be done at 30k intervals..yet I'm not sure. And a lot depends on which rental car company owned it. Some are careful with services like oil changes, others not. I rented a car once with filthy oil, and still had original factory oil filter on it !

I did own a 2005 Mustang which was formerly a rental. Had zero problems with that car...therefore I would not be afraid of a rental.

Price sounds reasonable...as it is a convertible...which costs more...yet mileage slightly high for a 2011.

Can you tell I used to be a used car tech at new car dealerships ? LOL.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think you have some bargaining chips if you really like the car. If from a dealer, ask for extended warranty. If private, ask for money off the price. A car with that type of record will be hard to sell, so only buy it if your going to keep it for a good while.
Is it a premium, other options?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you have some bargaining chips if you really like the car. If from a dealer, ask for extended warranty. If private, ask for money off the price. A car with that type of record will be hard to sell, so only buy it if your going to keep it for a good while.
Is it a premium, other options?
It is the basic model. He claims he cannot go any lower than 14,9; however, I havent checked maintenance history yet. When I get the car checked by my mechanic I will call the original rental car company and see if they have any records.

I did notice three of the four tires matched. The fourth tire was a different brand (Michelin)

What would you say a fair price would be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds o.k. to me if the mechanic has experience checking out body damage. If that person says damage is only minor...no real unibody damage, then car may be o.k.
Be sure he checks under dash and under kick panels for flood damage. If you can, get with him, with drop light in hand, looking at entire bottom of car for any metal damage. Remove base cushion of rear seat to look for any water. Smell carpets with your nose up to them for mildew..as that's the most common problem with convertibles. Lift both front corners of carpet to check for water and/or mildew in padding under carpet. Check for any water damage around SJB...smart junction box...fuse box...above/behind passenger kick panel...remove that panel to check thoroughly. Remove carpet from trunk area and check underneath thoroughly.

Ask if transmission oil has been changed. I believe it is supposed to be done at 30k intervals..yet I'm not sure. And a lot depends on which rental car company owned it. Some are careful with services like oil changes, others not. I rented a car once with filthy oil, and still had original factory oil filter on it !

I did own a 2005 Mustang which was formerly a rental. Had zero problems with that car...therefore I would not be afraid of a rental.

Price sounds reasonable...as it is a convertible...which costs more...yet mileage slightly high for a 2011.

Can you tell I used to be a used car tech at new car dealerships ? LOL.
Thank you! Your advice is well received; I'll definitely be sure to check for water damage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Whats the sticker on that car(new)? A '13 base auto convertible is around $28k, invoice minus rebates 23 minus 47k miles plus three black marks on the carfax= 12.5k:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally I would pass. You can find a much better car for the same or a little more.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Like this one:
AutoTrader.com
Less miles, good condition and Private seller !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like this one:
AutoTrader.com
Less miles, good condition and Private seller !
Sharp looking car but was driven by a smoker with several burn marks in upholstery and was involved in a side impact accident.

So 14,9 is overpriced? I would agree as its been in 1 accident and 1 collision it should be lower than the "fair" value KBB lists it as.

I received some more information

Autocheck listed the car in question as a:

Registration Event/Renewal (Leased vehicle)
Titled or Registered as a rental vehicle or part of a rental fleet

Does this mean the car was a lease? or a rental?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts