Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* 2011+ Mustang Supercharged V6 or 5.0 GT

As you can probably tell from my user id, I love the 5.0 GT. I like the power and style of the GT500 even more actually, but the 5.0 is a more balance car. Never really considered the V6 until now.

With a supercharger, the V6 puts down more power than the 5.0 with CAI and tune. The downside is that the SC kit is expensive at the moment and warranty goes out the window. Price will hopefully come down with more competition in the future. With a CAI and Tune, Ford voids your warranty on the GT anyways (tsb11-07-07). The only thing to be missed from the GT is the available Brembo Brake.

My use of the car is to run autocross and track. It might be my summer daily driver and condition permitting be used in the winter with proper tires. I will be very happy with a reliable 460-500 hp.

So, what would you guys choose between a Supercharged V6 with performance package and a 5.0 GT? Does the MT82 on the V6 have the same load rating as the ones on the V8?

·
Registered
837 Posts

IIRC, a few bolt-on mods on the 5.0 will put out more power than a supercharged V6

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would say 5.0, one day down the road you might want to to put forced induction on it. Where do you track the car?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
If you really intend to track the car and want to be competitive in class then you best forget 460-500 HP. The kind of mods needed for that will move the car up in class and you won't be competitive.

And all that warranty crap has been blown way out of proportion.

Sounds to me like you better stick to the GT though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While most people would go with the 5.0 I would say the V6. Reason being that it's a good bit lighter so it would make for a great track car. Plus with the right suspension upgrades it would quickly turn into a handling beast. It would easily go past 1.00g lat acceleration. Not saying you couldn't do the same with a GT but it's cheaper to start. That's my two cents

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
V6 would probably be better if you're really going to autocross it a lot. You can do it with a V8, but a common problem, especially on the smaller autocross courses, is people running overpowered cars. Dodge Vipers are fine examples of too much horsepower on an autocross course. Being road pancakes (low, wide, road-hugging stance with huge tires), you'd think they'd be perfect, but drivers often push them too hard and the back ends kick all over the place. Much more potential to do this with the 5.0 than the 3.7. I think, though, for all-around fun, you're better off with the 5.0. You can always supercharge it easily if 412 horses is just not enough. If money is not an issue, why not go for a GT500 and put the effort into it to "balance it out?" You won't have any warranty woes, as all 540+ of those horses are covered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not GT500? Well, I am waiting to see Ford's response to the ZL1. Test drove the 2011 with SVT Performance Pack, and frankly the car scared me a little bit on bumpier twisty roads. It is also very traction limited at that power level.

If I have unlimited budget this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't. The stock V6 is a great AutoX car in my opinion. In the lightning lap event, it was not too far behind the V8 on road course as well.

Another factor to consider is if the supercharged V6 will suffer from heatsoak and when it does how much power will I be left with.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Have you considered the V6 with the perfomance package? Less power than the 5.0 obviously, but still a serious track car that can beat almost anything in its class.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you considered the V6 with the perfomance package? Less power than the 5.0 obviously, but still a serious track car that can beat almost anything in its class.
That is the car that I am considering, V6 with performance package. It is about 10 grand cheaper than a similarly equipped GT up here. Strangely the dealer told me that I cannot order HID lights with the performance package, don't know why.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My V6 PP is running GS right now and is extremely competitive with adjusted times, using the 2010 rulebook. I placed 9th out of 32 people, having never seen a track in my life. It's crazy fun putting out times that are better than AS with a GS :bigthumbsup

I can tell you that one of those corvettes was turbo'd and puts out nearly double my HP, sits MUCH lower and has way better suspension and tires, yet I managed to run almost an identical time because my car really 'stuck' to the track with my stock setup.

Loving my PP for Autocross! :kooky::kooky::kooky:

----------

Most people that go the V6 route is because they make the V6 their daily driver as well. If you are looking for a pure racing machine and have the money for the GT, I'd say get that. If you ever have the need for more ponies than 400HP or so, you could always add more :) With the V6, you are kinda limited to that 450-550 range. (for me though, that range is perfect)

-----------

We have a highly modded RSX Type-S that ran over 2.5s faster than 2nd place on the raw data sheet:
http://www.sccabadlands.org/Scca%20badlands/assets/event%20results/2011%20Results/6.19.11%20Bismarck/Bowl1raw.html

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That is the car that I am considering, V6 with performance package. It is about 10 grand cheaper than a similarly equipped GT up here. Strangely the dealer told me that I cannot order HID lights with the performance package, don't know why.
According to the Ford website you can get HIDs with the Performance Package HOWEVER only if you order the MCA package which means you have to order Premium which definitely reduces the performance of the Performance Package.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would wait on getting a 5.0. With all the issues that are popping up with them, I'd wait until they do DFI. Just too many issues if you're looking to mod the car. And then Ford and goes and releases the TSB that they did.

It's not just on here people are complaining about the cars. On SVTPerformance there is a few people who have engines fail stock. Evidently the #8 piston is going. They think it has to with with the knock sensor not being able to see what's going on properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does appear to me that the GT not only has transmission issues but also potential engine problem as well. Of course we all know that the forum is subject to sample bias. I am definitely holding back on the GT5.0.

With the current incentive in Canada, I am seriously considering a V6 with performance package, which is about $10,000 less than a similarly equipped GT after tax. Not a small amount to me. If something does go wrong with the car it is easier to cut my loss and move on.

I would wait on getting a 5.0. With all the issues that are popping up with them, I'd wait until they do DFI. Just too many issues if you're looking to mod the car. And then Ford and goes and releases the TSB that they did.

It's not just on here people are complaining about the cars. On SVTPerformance there is a few people who have engines fail stock. Evidently the #8 piston is going. They think it has to with with the knock sensor not being able to see what's going on properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My V6 PP is running GS right now and is extremely competitive with adjusted times, using the 2010 rulebook. I placed 9th out of 32 people, having never seen a track in my life. It's crazy fun putting out times that are better than AS with a GS :bigthumbsup

I can tell you that one of those corvettes was turbo'd and puts out nearly double my HP, sits MUCH lower and has way better suspension and tires, yet I managed to run almost an identical time because my car really 'stuck' to the track with my stock setup.

Loving my PP for Autocross! :kooky::kooky::kooky:

----------

Most people that go the V6 route is because they make the V6 their daily driver as well. If you are looking for a pure racing machine and have the money for the GT, I'd say get that. If you ever have the need for more ponies than 400HP or so, you could always add more :) With the V6, you are kinda limited to that 450-550 range. (for me though, that range is perfect)

-----------

We have a highly modded RSX Type-S that ran over 2.5s faster than 2nd place on the raw data sheet:
Final Raw Time Results, #5 - Bismarck Bowl 1
Glad to hear that your V6 is doing well. Probably more to do with the driver than the car. :winks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to the Ford website you can get HIDs with the Performance Package HOWEVER only if you order the MCA package which means you have to order Premium which definitely reduces the performance of the Performance Package.
Thanks, finally got that work out. You are right, I can indeed order the MCA edition with Performance Package with HID.

The actual difference between the V6 and the V8 is about $7000. The MCA V6 looks slightly better than the GT, but the GT has slightly better interior with accented seats.

At the end, I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to supercharge the V6 unless you already have the car.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
You'll still do perfectly fine at autocross without the SC on the V6, and probably on the other courses as well. No harm running in your own class if you plan to drag it once in a while either. Nothing says you're supposed to be running low 13's or high 12's. Just run the very best with what you have. Be content with whatever you get.

...And mod it anyway! :winks

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
$10G off the mark plus quarterly insurance premiums savings gives you a hell of a budget to modify a V6 to make it a very competitive track car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The 5.0 is the choice unless you are the lone wolf. If your choozen race class is determined by weight and horsepower it comes down to skill levels anyway. There is no history with supercharged V6 3.7. More 5.0's than SHO's. Cost the same and most would rather add 100hp to a 5.0 than add 200hp to a six.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts