Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went there by myself, met some enthusiastic Stang peeps while I was there. All the Stangs were black!

Tim had the 10 GT 5 speed, Paul had the 10 Shelby, Sal came with Paul, and Stang fan Gary was there spectating. Had a good time talking with everyone. :)

I made two runs, still didn't break into the 13's running a 14.006. Best mph was 99.07 on my second. Dragtimes.com Density Altitude calculator said we were running at 2,023ft (73.9 Deg/29.81 Bar.Press/52% Humidity).

Corrected to Sea Level, my run works out to [email protected] :bigthumbsup

The 10 GT ran a 14.0 and 13.9 at 99-100mph (nearly identical to my car!). He had soft compound tires and was messing with inflation levels. The 10 GT 500 came there with street tires. Before I left his one run at the time was [email protected] The GT 500 needs slicks ... BADLY!

All in all, had a great day with great people!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Fine work ! If yours is a manual, how was the wheel hop?

Looks like it was very nice July conditions as sometimes happen there. It was a T&T, right? Did not see any of you at Ford Day in June.

You should all convoy to Tasca next month. Flyer went up overnight. See TASCA Performance Ford Fest (scroll to bottom).

It's become a fine, two-day event. Tasca is bringing big time Ford racing back here.

735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fine work ! If yours is a manual, how was the wheel hop?

Looks like it was very nice July conditions as sometimes happen there. It was a T&T, right? Did not see any of you at Ford Day in June.

You should all convoy to Tasca next month. Flyer went up overnight. See TASCA Performance Ford Fest (scroll to bottom).

It's become a fine, two-day event. Tasca is bringing big time Ford racing back here.
Thanks Grabber!

Yeah, it was T&T. I've got an auto w/2.73 gears, no wheel hop here. Just rev the engine against the trans (about 1500 rpms) and floor it when I get the green. Get minimal tire spin, and very consistent runs. :)

Even with fairly good weather, the density altitude was 2,000+ feet. I'd like to get an actual sub 13" time slip, might have to wait 'till Fall.

I missed Ford Day, and the Tasca event looks interesting but New England Dragway is over 200 miles from where I live. I dunno about that ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fun runs and talking Mustang stuff

Tim here!

Was great meeting you all and lining up black Mustangs! I was indeed trying to get the right combination of tire pressure and rpm to get a good launch, and I never really got it right. I did get a 13.9 and later a 13.8, but I've done that well without drag radials in the past. Seems tricky to get it right between bogging and spinning, while not thrashing the clutch. Oh well, practice is fun, and at least I felt like I was heading in the right direction.

Paul's Shelby did later post a strong 12.85, but he wasn't happy with the 112 mph trap speed. Beautiful car, especially with the rare blue stripes (one of just 47 made like that!)

All in all, a great day at the track, with lots of nice Mustang folks. I also talked with a guy with a serious older Mustang with a 347 stroker, he liked seeing the three black Stangs lined up...

Tim

735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim here!

Was great meeting you all and lining up black Mustangs! I was indeed trying to get the right combination of tire pressure and rpm to get a good launch, and I never really got it right. I did get a 13.9 and later a 13.8, but I've done that well without drag radials in the past. Seems tricky to get it right between bogging and spinning, while not thrashing the clutch. Oh well, practice is fun, and at least I felt like I was heading in the right direction.

Paul's Shelby did later post a strong 12.85, but he wasn't happy with the 112 mph trap speed. Beautiful car, especially with the rare blue stripes (one of just 47 made like that!)

All in all, a great day at the track, with lots of nice Mustang folks. I also talked with a guy with a serious older Mustang with a 347 stroker, he liked seeing the three black Stangs lined up...

Tim
Heh there Tim!

Glad to hear you got a 13.8, seems you were getting the hang of the d/r's. What was your trap speed? It's always a learning curve whenever something is changed.

And I felt like I was parked next to Big Brother ... with your mean 10 Black GT sitting next to my 'lil ol V6. :gringreen

So Paul got a 12.8, that's cool. How did he manage that on street tires? Did you lend him your d/r's?

We should start a local "Black Color Only" Stang club. :grinroll:

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
The 112 from the '500 is easily good for low 12s. The blue stripes are a real treat! Here I have only ever seen red accents on black GT500s. The red doesn't inspire me.

Black V6, I neglected to also praise those amazing consistent timeslips. Know what? You should enter the True Street replacement event with the cumbersome name Real Street Cruise & Race. Walk away with the 14.00 class trophy and get announced. Then go home late Saturday or Sunday and skip day 2. Hell, all 3 cars come out ! We have a great CT/MA Mustang group in my circle, all much younger than me.

Seems the auto is THE drag V6 as built. Give up only the wheel hop. Vaguely like the old leaf spring Mustangs of '67-71 except the 6-speed auto isn't like attaching a cement mixer to your car.

735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tests show stock 10 GT 500's run 12.7's at 117mph, so I don't see him going low 12's running just 112mph. Even the 11 GT 500's are only running 12.4's at the same trap speed.

2010 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport vs. 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Comparison Tests

2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

He would need slicks and some serious weight reduction to go low 12's.

As far as racing for a trophy, I tried that way back when and for me it was borrrring! I did win a trophy after a month or so of bracket racing, but that showed me I'm definitely a Test/Tune guy. :)

All I want to do is pull a slip of 13.6-7 with only my Hypertech tune. D.A. correction says I'm already there, just want the slip to back it up. But the current 2,000+ ft air ain't gonna cut it!

Maybe this Fall ...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I raced a 2011/2012 coupe 6 speed with exhaust and 100 octane with my 2011CT CS Vert autol. He ran a 14 I that race ran a 13.4.

735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I raced a 2011/2012 coupe 6 speed with exhaust and 100 octane with my 2011CT CS Vert autol. He ran a 14 I that race ran a 13.4.
Sorry, I don't mean to be a wise guy but I don't quite get what you were saying there.

Did you mean you raced an 11/12 V6 coupe w/exhaust & 100 octane that ran a 14.0, while your 5.0 vert ran a 13.4?

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Seeing as my '85 ran 12.17 with 110 mph, 110 is indeed enough HP/Weight to run low 12s.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any of you guys gonna be out there Aug 20 for the test and tune/ nostalgia race. I'm planning on making the drive up in my '11 grabber blue GT. If you see me come overhand introduce yourselves. I recently move to NY and I'm looking for a good home track.

Jared

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, what a day! I had a blast out there. I started off witha 13.3 on my first run, then a 13.2. I kept changing the tire pressure and raising my launch RPM until I was satisfied. I settled on 17psi and 4k launch. Next 3 runs were 12.95, 12.95, and a 12.72. I had a blast. After the drag racing was over, I walked across the parking lot and enjoyed some dirt track racing. What a great setup. Fun place. I'll definitely be back. Hopefully I can make it to musclepaloosa on labor day weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts