Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 V6 3.31 gears, already added Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and Modular Mustang Racing cold-air intake. Any suggestions for additional mods to increase the mpg of this daily driver? Already hauls and have to hang-on tight even though I have never hit the floor with the pedal. I want to stay with regular gas and plan to have it dyno-tuned once mods are completed. Second, why are throttle body spacers considered a waste? Mustang owner and Charger R/T Hemi owner both swear by them here at work. Be nice, this is my first modded baby! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
get an 87 octane economy tune for it, that should help a little bit with gas but decrease the performance some. but it already should get 31 mpg, id leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have a 2011 V6 3.31 gears, already added Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and Modular Mustang Racing cold-air intake. Any suggestions for additional mods to increase the mpg of this daily driver? Already hauls and have to hang-on tight even though I have never hit the floor with the pedal. I want to stay with regular gas and plan to have it dyno-tuned once mods are completed. Second, why are throttle body spacers considered a waste? Mustang owner and Charger R/T Hemi owner both swear by them here at work. Be nice, this is my first modded baby! :bigthumbsup
Do NOT waste your money on a dyno tune. I, in no way, am affiliated nor work for American Muscle/BAMA however I highly, HIGHLY recommend you purchase their tune for your car if you want a NOTICEABLE performance AND appreciable MPG increase.

Unfortunately, when you buy the tune, your car will feel like a new monster, and you'll want to drive er' faster, and because of that your MPG may go down...

Check out SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator - FREE SHIPPING!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you really wan't MPG beyond the factory for some reason, here are some extreme but plausible measures:

you want a warm-air intake, not a cold air intake. a cold-air intake will never improve MPG. any claim by any manufacturer otherwise is discrediting to the company.

also, you want skinny tires with higher air pressures and a low-rolling-resistance rating. High tire air pressures in general are good for MPG.

unplug the a/c compressor so it can't come on for defrost settings or anything.

go back to a 2.73 rear end

take off your passenger side mirror

·
Registered
460 Posts
its a mustang...drive it!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
If you really wan't MPG beyond the factory for some reason, here are some extreme but plausible measures:

you want a warm-air intake, not a cold air intake. a cold-air intake will never improve MPG. any claim by any manufacturer otherwise is discrediting to the company.

also, you want skinny tires with higher air pressures and a low-rolling-resistance rating. High tire air pressures in general are good for MPG.

The CAI won't hurt the fuel economy and you already have it so leave it alone.

The tall "skinny" tires, if they are made for fuel economy like the Michelins that come on automatic cars will help.

Unplugging the a/c compressor is a waste and will really screw with the functionality of the HVAC system on the car and will not contribute any noticeable improvement in economy.

Going with a 2.73 rear gear will give you at least 2-3 mpg on the highway, very little improvement in town.

A tune will improve efficiency, especially in the transmission shift schedule. Most with a tune are reporting better economy when they can keep their foot out of it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do NOT waste your money on a dyno tune. I, in no way, am affiliated nor work for American Muscle/BAMA however I highly, HIGHLY recommend you purchase their tune for your car if you want a NOTICEABLE performance AND appreciable MPG increase.

Unfortunately, when you buy the tune, your car will feel like a new monster, and you'll want to drive er' faster, and because of that your MPG may go down...

Check out SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator - FREE SHIPPING!

Those tunes are canned tunes. You can always do better with a custom tune then a canned tune, so it would definitely not be a waste of money. A custom tune will yield more hp then the BAMA tune. Cars are produced the same to a degree... all machines have some tolerance in spacing and machining. Even though they are built the same way, some motors produce more power then others. Also a custom tune is usually the best route to control your A/F Ratio to your specific car. A custom tune is ALWAYS better then a canned tune period... its just easier and less time consuming to order a tuner and upload a tune.

aside..
Modding a performance car for MPG.. :rollgrin: You should have got a Civic hahaha j.kj.k.

Well, remove any extra weight (wait! ford did this for us, where the F is my spare tire? lol)
Run the 2.73 gears if you aren't already.

Intake and exhaust were a real good start. A tune will definitely help... also some light weight rims.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dyno vs. SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Custom tune?

I found the same product and thought it looked perfect, but again, my co-workers insist that a Dyno tune is better?!? Any thoughts? :?:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dyno tune better than 'canned' tunes?

Those tunes are canned tunes. You can always do better with a custom tune then a canned tune, so it would definitely not be a waste of money. A custom tune will yield more hp then the BAMA tune. Cars are produced the same to a degree... all machines have some tolerance in spacing and machining. Even though they are built the same way, some motors produce more power then others. Also a custom tune is usually the best route to control your A/F Ratio to your specific car. A custom tune is ALWAYS better then a canned tune period... its just easier and less time consuming to order a tuner and upload a tune.

aside..
Modding a performance car for MPG.. :rollgrin: You should have got a Civic hahaha j.kj.k.

Well, remove any extra weight (wait! ford did this for us, where the F is my spare tire? lol)
Run the 2.73 gears if you aren't already.

Intake and exhaust were a real good start. A tune will definitely help... also some light weight rims.
Okay, so let me make sure I understand your post... 'canned' tunes that come with a tuner might not max out results? A dyno tune is a real-time custom tune working with my mods (let alone this engines potential variances). So a dyno tune will be taking specifics into consideration? :worship

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Objective is fast car with good gas mileage...

I test drove the 2.73 gears and felt it was a dog (no offense to those of you who have modded to compensate). My objective is not gas mileage period. My objective is to take a fast set-up and make it as economical as is possible. The idea of pouring/passing fuel into my cat or out my exhaust is wasteful. The idea of going fast is requisite. thanks! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
V6 set-up also has the following...

Just to clarify what I am working with, I also have the Pony Package, and the 18" polished wheels. Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
well the "canned tune" vs "custom dyno-tune" argument has always been debated as to which is better. The answer resides in what you want to pay for, and what results you expect to get. I've haven't purchased a canned tune, nor have I gotten my car dyno tuned but I've done some research and priced both and IMO I think pricewise its makes a little more sense for me just to order a tune from BAMA vs getting it dyno-tuned. Yes a dyno tune is geared to your specific car, but with some of the hp numbers some are reporting, I just don't see a dyno-tune being able to get that much more hp out of our cars. Now that's just my opinion, its all about what you are willing to spend, and where you want to take your car performance wise. Now if you were throwing a turbo on there while redoing headers then I would say get it dyno tuned for sure, but with just an exhaust and CAI, you're going to get plenty of bang for your buck with a tune from BAMA and AmericanMuscle, or wherever you want to get one. Like I said, that's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
So "canned" tune, refers to the tunes that SCT preloads into the SCT devices. Bama doesn't offer any "canned" tunes.

If you're looking for a mail-order CUSTOM tune, then we can help you out. Many people think that we just guess and get your vehicle close. In reality, it's all about commanded vs. actual. What do I mean there? We're commanding 12.5 air/fuel, it's about actually getting that air/fuel ratio. We're commanding maybe 28 degrees of timing, it's about how do we get it. A lot of that is experience with the vehicles platform. We know how to get rid of unnecessary adders and subtracters for spark, fuel, etc. so that when we ask for that amount of timing, we get it - consistently, no matter what car we load it into.

We send out literally thousands of custom tunes a month, and have hundreds of dyno results come back to us with results that are spot-on, and closer than many dyno tunes. There's only about 10 people in the country that I would allow to custom tune my Modular mustang on their dyno, because only 10 people that I know of are going to go through the nitpicking and OCD-way that we tune. We tune so that are files are very "clean" if that makes any sense. We make sure that EVERY parameter has a reason and EVERY parameter is going to affect the car in a positive way.

We have a Dynojet 224xLC in-house where we develop our custom tunes full time. We have a staff of Bama custom tuning experts that their sole purpose is Bama custom tuning. We don't just pop in a bunch of pre-made from SCT value files and ship it out. Everything that we ship out has been tested MANY times over on different vehicles (we own over 10 company Mustangs) on our dyno, at the track and on the street. On any given day you can find us on the streets of Malvern, PA datalogging and street testing a car. We'll check for driveability after we've nailed the configuration down 100% on the dyno. We even take our vehicles to the track, and you can find us at Cecil, Atco, Maple Grove, E-Town and various other tracks making sure that our race tunes shift PERFECTLY when you receive them. We've gone 10 seconds in our 2011 Mustang with bolt ons and a baby nitrous shot. We've got exclusive access to over 165,000 square feet of nothing but Mustang parts on-site in our warehouse to randomly test and build values for.

Between Me and Mike Wilson, Bama has over 17 years of experience with custom tuning Mustangs. You can rest assured that we aren't sending you out SCT value files or "canned" tunes.

If you ever need any more information, simply give Bama a call Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764. We're available to answer tech questions all the time. We have hundreds of dyno results, etc. if you need recommendations - we have thousands of satisfied customers.

If anyone thinks that a custom dyno tune could do better than our mail-order tune, we'd be willing to experiment so that we can show that our tune, would in-fact, keep up with or beat, 90% of custom dyno tunes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Okay, so let me make sure I understand your post... 'canned' tunes that come with a tuner might not max out results? A dyno tune is a real-time custom tune working with my mods (let alone this engines potential variances). So a dyno tune will be taking specifics into consideration? :worship
Exactly. There are soooo many different variables that can be adjusted and monitored during a tune. Custom tunes do run more expensive.. but its absolutely worth it when you see how much better your car runs over a canned tune. My last car had a "canned" tune then i got it custom tuned. Car ran smoother, my A/F Ratio was much more stable and it pulled harder. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure BAMA is a pretty good tune, but when people say your wasting your money for a custom tune that's not true at all.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Exactly. There are soooo many different variables that can be adjusted and monitored during a tune. Custom tunes do run more expensive.. but its absolutely worth it when you see how much better your car runs over a canned tune. My last car had a "canned" tune then i got it custom tuned. Car ran smoother, my A/F Ratio was much more stable and it pulled harder. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure BAMA is a pretty good tune, but when people say your wasting your money for a custom tune that's not true at all.
Are you serious? *smacks head*

·
Registered
460 Posts
my car hauls ass with a 93 race tune, its almost scary. it doesnt do that stock, these guys know what they are doing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are you serious? *smacks head*
I'm not saying BAMA is bad in any way. I dont have experience with them directly. What I do have is a local tuner that has tuned my past cars even when i had "canned" tunes, and it blew them away. Now BAMA states they are custom tunes not canned. (kind of more informative then "are you serious" isn't it?:yelwacko:)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Bama doesn't do "canned" tunes. Every local tuner is going to tell you horror stories about mail-order, until they start doing mail-order.. LOL. I say this because years ago, I was that local guy, trying to pay for my dyno and telling everyone that what I could give them was better than the next.

I'm willing to pay to have someone's car "dyno tuned" at their local shop of choice, and then pay to have them and their car come out here and test it versus our mail order tune, as long as we can video/document it and use it so everyone can see that MANY times a dyno tune can get beat by a mail order tune.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bama doesn't do "canned" tunes. Every local tuner is going to tell you horror stories about mail-order, until they start doing mail-order.. LOL. I say this because years ago, I was that local guy, trying to pay for my dyno and telling everyone that what I could give them was better than the next.

I'm willing to pay to have someone's car "dyno tuned" at their local shop of choice, and then pay to have them and their car come out here and test it versus our mail order tune, as long as we can video/document it and use it so everyone can see that MANY times a dyno tune can get beat by a mail order tune.

You guys really back your product :bigthumbsup
Trust if I was in Pennsylvania i'd be all over this :)
and thanks for your posts AMCHRISRose

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.