Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he guys, my 2011 v6 automatic, has barely 5000 miles on it, and I noticed that under heavy acceleration a strong smell comes out of the engine trough the AC vents, the first time I thought I had the full A/C off and I was picking up engine smells because of that, but the AC was on and working fine,

So I took it to the dealer this morning, and the guy just called me telling me that "in those cars" that smell is normal.

I really don't think that such a strong smell coming Inside the car would be normal
so I don't know if any 2011 v6 owner could tell me if they have the same problem, or is it really "normal"?

·
0 Posts
Had the same issue for the first few hundred miles but once the car had a couple thousand the smell went away

J

·
0 Posts
need more info on the smell. Sweet? sulfer-like? ozone? melting plastic?

FWIW I don't get any strange smells from my car under any circumstances....well almost any. When my company caters Burritos, that day is another story.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
he guys, my 2011 v6 automatic, has barely 5000 miles on it, and I noticed that under heavy acceleration a strong smell comes out of the engine trough the AC vents, the first time I thought I had the full A/C off and I was picking up engine smells because of that, but the AC was on and working fine,

So I took it to the dealer this morning, and the guy just called me telling me that "in those cars" that smell is normal.

I really don't think that such a strong smell coming Inside the car would be normal
so I don't know if any 2011 v6 owner could tell me if they have the same problem, or is it really "normal"?
I have only 2,200 miles on mine.. no smell at all, at least not yet... sorry to hear about your issue. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the a/c set to recirculating air or fresh air?
The AC was set on recirculate, the full AC button was on, and I just checked the owners manual and it says that it prevents the engine smells from coming in the car, so apparently it is not supposed to smell like that while the full AC button is on.

And also the smell gets more intense when I keep accelerating for longer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

FWIW I don't get any strange smells from my car under any circumstances....well almost any. When my company caters Burritos, that day is another story.
Its not like melting plastic, i think it doesn't have to do with the ac either, its more like an oil burn smell or something similar, but the dealer didn't mention any leaks, they just said it was "normal".

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
If it keeps doing it then take it back to the dealer and if they still won't do anything then call Ford customer service and complain.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I picked mine up with 4.2 miles and drove till 13,600 miles no smells ever. Not normal.

Customer Relantionship Center
1-800-241-3673

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have had a smell also under hard acceleration
i thought it was clutch but it didnt smell like any clutch i have smelled before

·
Registered
50 Posts

Funny J, I have the same issue. But in truth I had that "break in" smell I like to call it. About the 1st 1,000 miles where stuff is heating up and being used. After that haven't notice anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the first couple 1000 miles when i turned my heat on the air from vents smelled like poop!!!! no kidding!!! it went away after awhile but still dont know, where that smell came from :heha:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe you should stop farting with the windows rolled up jk...lol

Mine never smelled wierd when I first bought it. If the dealer said its fine then its fine. Just buy an air refreshner or sumthin.

F

·
0 Posts

Hey robertorh_89,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Did you test drive the vehicle with them at your dealer to make sure you were able to recreate the issue? This would ensure that they are experiencing the same thing as you and help them pinpoint any problems. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Deysha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey robertorh_89,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Did you test drive the vehicle with them at your dealer to make sure you were able to recreate the issue? This would ensure that they are experiencing the same thing as you and help them pinpoint any problems. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Deysha
Hi Deysha,

They told me they did test drive it and they said they couldn't recreate the issue, the thing is that the smells shows more when accelerating from 60 to 90 at full throttle, I guess they wont take the risks of doing that on a test drive, so they just told me "the car is performing the way it is design to perform". I don't know what to do now, i think ill take it to the next nearest ford dealer to see what they tell me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think the AC compressor cuts off under full throttle. The air blows over the condensor and you get that warm/wet smell out of the vent.

Try this,
run the A/C normally with the fan blowing med/high and the cut off the A/C and leave the fan running, see if the smell is there.

F

·
0 Posts
Hi Deysha,

They told me they did test drive it and they said they couldn't recreate the issue, the thing is that the smells shows more when accelerating from 60 to 90 at full throttle, I guess they wont take the risks of doing that on a test drive, so they just told me "the car is performing the way it is design to perform". I don't know what to do now, i think ill take it to the next nearest ford dealer to see what they tell me.
Hi robertorh_89,

Yes, most dealers will not test drive anyone’s vehicle at high speeds. Have you tried going on the test drive with you driving and the service guy in the car? That might help as well.

Deysha

·
Banned
163 Posts
Engine Smell

Hello OP.

I just recently went to the dealership yesterday and was talking about this engine smell. (I don't know if this is true to your situation or not), but the sales guy told me that Ford puts a 'protective coating' on the engine and it 'burns' off the first few times you drive it. Maybe this is your situation and you haven't burned off enough of this coating? I'm not sure. Just a suggestion.

Anyways, I hope you figure it out and can solve it! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, i have the same problem with my automatic 2011 Mustang GT 5.0.
there is strong smell coming from the ac vent with every hard acceleration, and then i have to open the windows to get fresh air, now the car is done 10000 miles, and the smell is still comes with every hard acceleration.
I checked with the dealer where I live in Dubai, UAE. they didn’t help at all.
anyone know what should i do.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts