Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a CURT hitch on my new 2011 V6 Premium MCA. I haven't seen any other pictures of this, so I thought it might help someone out there.
Suggestion for doing yourself on ramps: After lowering the mufflers, slide the hitch into place before running the carrier bolts through. My hitch slid into place very snugly, and it can hold itself in place over the bolt holes while you fish the bolts through.
It a real ***** to run the fish wire and bolts though the hitch holes while raising the hitch into place by yourself, on your back!
I'm happy with the hitch result, very discreet looking.:bigthumbsup
Keifer
IMG00111-20100929-0943.jpg

·
Registered
872 Posts
So what do you plan on trailering with the hitch? Can the V6 handle a lot?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for that photo. I am looking to add one to my new V6 Vert. I will be using mine to carry a bike rack. I don't Really like putting a trunk carrier on the new paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Towing, just a Yakima Bike Rack.

As a competitive cyclist, I need to carry bikes. I allready took one MTB about an hour down the road, on the hitch rack. Looks like it will lower my MPG about 3 MPG at hwy speeds.
The Yakima Rack is quite heavy, and with a bike on it, lowers the rear end 1/2 to 1 inch. Not noticable from the side though.
FYI.
Keifer

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was looking into that hitch as well, looks great compared to most hitch installations but I think I would want something even MORE steathy on my Stang.

A two piece set up would be ideal where the receiver box assembly is bolt-on. That way, you have the option of removing it so nothing can be seen hanging down below the diaper.

In my case, I really don't "need" one either as I have a hitch on the '03 Grand Caravan that my wife drives.

Doug

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
not bad and understandable for biking , but whats up with the dealer sticker on the trunk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2011 Mustang Converible V6 Premium & Egg Trailer

I had the Curt hitch installed on my 2011 Mustang Convertible V6 Premium Friday. This is the second vehicle that I've had a Curt hitch installed on, and am very pleased with the fit and look. This is the 3rd paint color change for the EGG Trailer by Jason, as I've had it painted to match two previous vehicles. It's light weight 260 lbs., and has about 60cu.ft. of cargo space.

Len Bell
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convetible, Auto, Saddle Interior, Pony Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Rear Camera, Black Front Grill, Rear Filler Panel, Smoked Lens Covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great Advice !

I installed a CURT hitch on my new 2011 V6 Premium MCA. I haven't seen any other pictures of this, so I thought it might help someone out there.
Suggestion for doing yourself on ramps: After lowering the mufflers, slide the hitch into place before running the carrier bolts through. My hitch slid into place very snugly, and it can hold itself in place over the bolt holes while you fish the bolts through.
It a real ***** to run the fish wire and bolts though the hitch holes while raising the hitch into place by yourself, on your back!
Keifer
View attachment 111729
Thank you for the info on the CURT hitch for 2011 V6 Mustang. Based on your recommendation and the photos of the discreet hitch, I purchased and had one installed. (I ordered it from Etrailer...) It's barely noticeable.... I also researched Class I bike racks and found the Yakima Bighorn 4 that will carry 3 bikes in this class category.

·
Registered
449 Posts
was thinking about this today as i will soon hope to be a massage therapist i need a place for equipment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Curt hitch is on order. Want it for bike carrier not for towing. Hate using the truck just because I want to take my bike somewhere.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Any new developements? I've heard the Draw-Tite is a fantastic alternative as well. Any thoughts on which may be less obtrusive?

Secondly, any reason why fitment on 2012 models may differ than 2011?

·
Registered
204 Posts
yea..... thats why i got a truck too.... so i didnt have to be "that guy" :)

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Keifer
View attachment 111729

Has anybody had interference with the muffler tips and the Curt hitch?? Installed the hitch on my '12 V6PP and all went fairly well except that the tips are a bit close and tend to rattle just the slightest amount. Not a big deal and shouldn't be an issue after my catback install but for those looking for a simple bolt-on it could be an issue.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
The most you can get for a Mustang is a class 1 hitch and the car has a total of 1000 pounds of tow rating.
So then a 13' Scamp (dry weight of 900 lbs) is potentially do-able? I assume the maximum tow rating is the overall weight of the trailer being towed and not the direct weight on the hitch?

My interest is in pulling something along the lines of this:

1987 13' Scamp Trailer | eBay

I don't own a truck anymore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Might look a sight but yes, AFAIK the tow rating on these cars is 1000lbs. Interestingly the rating on the curt hitch is 2000lbs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So then a 13' Scamp (dry weight of 900 lbs) is potentially do-able? I assume the maximum tow rating is the overall weight of the trailer being towed and not the direct weight on the hitch?

My interest is in pulling something along the lines of this:

1987 13' Scamp Trailer | eBay

I don't own a truck anymore.
It is indeed doable if you don't load the trailer past 1,000 lbs all up weight (AUW).
Tongue weight should be kept at ~10% of trailer AUW.
So, that would be 100 lbs less you can potentially load into the car, as it's max weight should also be respected.

I want one of those Scamps for either the MGB or the Mustang.
Mind you, with both sons all grown and families of their own, I'll probably never camp again.
Wife's idea of camping now is donning an evening dress and going down to the hotel lobby for cocktails.
Guess I'll have to drag the tux around on road trips.:mesad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts