Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share what I have done with my 2011 Mustang V6. I bought the car back in January to race in the SCCA Touring 3 class in the National Road Race Championship. The class is a semi stock class and T3 is the home of the Honda S2000, Nissan 350z, Cobalt SS, and BMW Z4.

Right after we picked the car up. It has 328 miles on it.

Getting the car stripped out and ready for the cage.

Installing the Ford Performance Suspension Kit which is the class option for the car.

Putting in the sandwich plate for the remote oil cooler.

Grand-Am Cup team Rehagen Racing did the fab work for us. This included the cage and mounting the Sabelt seat.

I added some OMP pedal covers as I couldn't reach the gas pedal to heal/toe under hard braking at the first race.

Right now I'm using some old 2005 Mustang GT wheels until I make up my mind on which wheels I want and size. I'm allowed to go to a 18x8, but next year the class may be changing and the wheel size will either be 18x9.5 or 18x10.

On track at Blackhawk Farms Raceway.

The class rules require me to run stock brakes, but I'm using Carbotech brake pads. The rear gear is a 3.31:1 per the spec for the car in the class.

We have been out twice with the car. Once to Blackhawk Farms to shake the car down and then to Brainard, MN for the first National of the year. The car is great out of the box. I lowered the track record at Brainard by 1.2 seconds on the second day. This is the first V6 I have raced, in the past we have had a 2004 Cobra and a couple of tube frame Trans-Am cars. I have set the red line at 7200 RPM and I'm shift at 7000. I will be doing some development later this year with AST for new struts and shocks, but have to retain the Ford springs.

Cheyne Daggett

·
Registered
428 Posts
do you know how much weight you lost removing the interior? im just curious as to how much it weighs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
How is that for a daily driver?

:gringreen

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car weighted 3585lbs with me in it and just under 1/4 tank of gas this past weekend. I weight 290lbs. I removed the stock mufflers yesterday and put on Pypes Bombs that reduced the weight another 35lbs. The A/C system, radio, speakers, all the interior except for the stock dash and the center console. I could loose the center console, but it covers up some wiring and isn't that bad to rest my arm. We had to keep the heater box, but is has a giant hole in it where a roll cage bar goes though it. In the newer Mustangs there just isn't enough room under the stock dash to run the bars we needed and we can't remove the heater so we took a hole saw to it and to get the heater out now would require a saw.

I haven't started yet, but over the winter we will remove ever wire from the car one by one that doesn't do anything. I did this with my last car, 04 Cobra, and we took out over 30lbs of wiring.

I can't ever remember having a nice daily driver car. I normally drive my tow vehicle. Right now it is a 2008 F350 Dually. It has to be my favorite since no one else in the family likes to drive the truck since it is so big.

When I was out in the shop I check millage and we rolled over 600 miles. I should put another 150 miles on it this weekend over at Mid-American in Council Bluffs, IA. As we get more pictures on the track I will post them.

Cheyne

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
sweet ride! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
670 Posts
nice... keep up the hard work and good luck at the track

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any updates? Would love to hear what you have done to the car since your last post. What wheel/tire combo are you running?
We finished out the session in Touring 3. Now we are waiting for the SCCA's decision to keep the class for 2012 or to eliminate the class. In the SCCA National Club Racing series a class has to maintain 2.5 entries over 73 races. This year they had 8 classes fail to make this number, but T3 was in it's second year.

Since my last post we swapped from 17x8 wheels to 18x8 wheels. We also lowered the car down to a ride high of 4 inches, measured at the rockers, and slotted the front struts to give us 3 degres of negative camber. We also had a set of titanium pistons made for the calipers. At the race shop we did a dyno tune and with no CATS or mufflers, but the rest is stock we are up to 284hp at the rear wheels. We bumped the redline up to 7500rpm.

At the SCCA National Championships (Runoffs) at Road America I finished 10th out of 16 in a very wet race. We had ABS problems during the morning warm up and missed the grid. I didn't know how far back I was from the grid so I went out to chase them down. In the end I spotted the field a 2 mile head start. I turned the 5th fastest lap of the race trying to get caught up. The car turned turned it's 1300th mile during the Runoffs week.

This past year I ran cheap wheels since T3 was up in the air. I got 2 sets of 2005 Mustang GT wheels from a friend for $200. For tires I use Hoosier's. In T3 I had to run 245/40's and could use either 17 or 18".

Now we are waiting for the SCCA Comp Board and Board of Directors to annonces the plans for 2012. The early word was the following:

11-12 Mustang V6 - V6 or V8 engine permitted.
For V6:
Max wheel size to 18 x 10
Max tire size: 295/35
Optional rear end ratio to 3.73
change weight to 3460 from 3575.
The following parts are allowed: GT/CS Front Fascia Ford part #BR3Z-17626-
AA, GT/CS Rear Fascia Ford part # AR3Z-17F828-AA, Spring Kit:
Ford part # M-5300-A, Brembo Brake Kit, Ford part # M-2300-S.
For V8:
Must meet T2 Mustang 5.0 GT (2011-12) specifications and the VIN will be
disregarded for this conversion. No mixing of parts; must declare in log
book which engine is being used

I have also asked to include a CAI and LT Headers for the V6 and to reduce the weight to 3400 instead of 3460. We figure with a blueprint/balance along with headers and CAI we can get to 330+ HP.

I ran with Mustang GT's at the Runoffs in a mixed practice and they just walked me, but the other cars in T2 like the BMW M3 in a straight line could get past me unless I would give them a helping lift of the gas pedal. Also the Mustang GT 5.0 showed quite a bit and may get penalized for 2012 so the V6 may be the better chose. We should know sometime in the middle of November.

Cheyne

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
awesome work really diggin everything man keep it up :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
493 Posts
good for you man. that seems like alot of fun. keep us posted on how you do and what you do to your v6:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
612 Posts
That is awesome. I would love to do this but stripping my mustang :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I would give an update. For 2012 we are sticking with the SCCA Touring 3 class that we ran last year. After this year the SCCA will be doing a restructure of the Touring/Showroom Stock classes so we made the decision to wait and see.

I'm now working with Angry Sheep Motorsports out of Waterford Township, MI. Chris Childs the owner build and crewed the SCCA Showroom Stock B champion which was a 2010 Mustang V6.

We are doing a few things to the car to get ready for 2012. The first is replacing the struts and shocks. In 2011 I just used the struts/shocks that came with the Performance Kit from Ford. We have to use the springs and swaybars so it was easy to use the struts/shocks, but they are not very good nor are they adjustable. T&A Shocks is building me Penske single adjustable struts/shocks. In the front they are also making me a custom spring perch so we can use the threaded body struts and be able to adjust right height easier.

Last year we used the stock drive shaft and I was fat, dumb and happy. At Road America I was hitting 140mph at three different places on the track and had no problems. Just in case we are replacing our drive shaft with a aluminum one piece from The Driveshaft Shop. The part # is FDSH18-A. The bad is we have to add 25 pounds to the car to make it 3600 pounds if we use the aluminum drive shaft. We hope to have the drive shaft next week. Mine is a prototype piece.

I'm replacing my wheels and they will be for sale in November if the classes change enough. I can use up to a 18x8 and we did use a 18x8, but the price of tires is higher for 18" wheels and we don't have to worry about clearing brakes. So we are going to be using O.Z. Ultraleggera 17x8 wheels. These are 17 pounds each.

I also added a digital dash from Race Technology which pairs with my data logger, the DL-1, and we also added the ODB II/Serial so we can capture from data from the ODB II. I also added separate brake pedal and steering wheels sensors. The dash we added is the RT Dash Pro 4. It will provide me with RPM, MPH, Oil and Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Trans and Diff Temps, Predictive Lap times, lap times and shift lights.

Finally last year for some reason...call it lazy...I used the stock steering wheels, but now I have a OMP SUPERQUADRO which is mounted via the MOMO adapter and two 60mm OMP extenders to bring the wheel closer to me.

I will have pictures of what we have done in two weeks when I pick up the car on the way to the first race which is going to be at Road Atlanta from March 16-18.

Cheyne Daggett

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thought I would give an update. For 2012 we are sticking with the SCCA Touring 3 class that we ran last year. After this year the SCCA will be doing a restructure of the Touring/Showroom Stock classes so we made the decision to wait and see.

I'm now working with Angry Sheep Motorsports out of Waterford Township, MI. Chris Childs the owner build and crewed the SCCA Showroom Stock B champion which was a 2010 Mustang V6.

We are doing a few things to the car to get ready for 2012. The first is replacing the struts and shocks. In 2011 I just used the struts/shocks that came with the Performance Kit from Ford. We have to use the springs and swaybars so it was easy to use the struts/shocks, but they are not very good nor are they adjustable. T&A Shocks is building me Penske single adjustable struts/shocks. In the front they are also making me a custom spring perch so we can use the threaded body struts and be able to adjust right height easier.

Last year we used the stock drive shaft and I was fat, dumb and happy. At Road America I was hitting 140mph at three different places on the track and had no problems. Just in case we are replacing our drive shaft with a aluminum one piece from The Driveshaft Shop. The part # is FDSH18-A. The bad is we have to add 25 pounds to the car to make it 3600 pounds if we use the aluminum drive shaft. We hope to have the drive shaft next week. Mine is a prototype piece.

I'm replacing my wheels and they will be for sale in November if the classes change enough. I can use up to a 18x8 and we did use a 18x8, but the price of tires is higher for 18" wheels and we don't have to worry about clearing brakes. So we are going to be using O.Z. Ultraleggera 17x8 wheels. These are 17 pounds each.

I also added a digital dash from Race Technology which pairs with my data logger, the DL-1, and we also added the ODB II/Serial so we can capture from data from the ODB II. I also added separate brake pedal and steering wheels sensors. The dash we added is the RT Dash Pro 4. It will provide me with RPM, MPH, Oil and Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Trans and Diff Temps, Predictive Lap times, lap times and shift lights.

Finally last year for some reason...call it lazy...I used the stock steering wheels, but now I have a OMP SUPERQUADRO which is mounted via the MOMO adapter and two 60mm OMP extenders to bring the wheel closer to me.

I will have pictures of what we have done in two weeks when I pick up the car on the way to the first race which is going to be at Road Atlanta from March 16-18.

Cheyne Daggett
Serious about those OZ Ultraleggera's? Please, buy some Enkei PF01's (17x8 : ~16.8lbs) or RPF1's (17x8 : 15.7lbs) instead. Spend the money saved on something else, like blow and hookers for a month. Kidding, I don't know, maybe get the kids a go kart.

Everything else sounds good though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looked at the Enkei's and have used them. They are a great wheel and I would have used them, but after the Runoffs I had some contingency money to spend and the vendor doesn't carry Enkei's, but does car O.Z. wheels.

We did about 15 years in karting with my daughter. Had a blast, but the cost to kart at the National/International level is almost as much as cars. She is now building a Fiat 500 for the new B-Spec in the SCCA.

Cheyne

·
Registered
935 Posts
Looked at the Enkei's and have used them. They are a great wheel and I would have used them, but after the Runoffs I had some contingency money to spend and the vendor doesn't carry Enkei's, but does car O.Z. wheels.

We did about 15 years in karting with my daughter. Had a blast, but the cost to kart at the National/International level is almost as much as cars. She is now building a Fiat 500 for the new B-Spec in the SCCA.

Cheyne
I figured you had your reasons. Appreciate you sharing your work/experiences. I take it you won't be pulling all the wiring out, if you're needing to increase vehicle weight to keep it in reg?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts