Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth:

While my 2011 V6 was up on the lift getting new tires, I noticed the axle vent on the passenger side was oozing axle oil all over. Unacceptable.

IMG_1744 (1024x768).jpg

After verifying that the axle was not over-filled with gear lube, and not being satisfied with any of the fixes I found on the internet (including the weird factory fix) I decided to install an axle vent "tube" like my truck has. Here's the $6 cap from my local Dodge dealer:

IMG_1841.JPG

Got the rear off the ground, notice the body is supported so the rear axle can droop all the way down, allowing better access and verification of full droop for picking the correct length of tubing:

IMG_1950 (1280x960).jpg

I pried off the factory rattle cap, leaving the factory nipple. And installed standard fuel line with a hose clamp at the axle side, and the new rattle cap end. I've run the top of the hose through a loose hose clamp and two, loose zip ties to locate the vent tube well above the axle and moisture/dirt. KEY: make it loose enough on the top of tube to allow movement as the axle travels up/down.

IMG_1876 (960x1280).jpg

After road-testing proved that the vent tube was properly sized and secured, I jacked up the car again, removed the vent tube, and wrapped the tube in heat shield with adhesive backing. This was done because it is extremely hot in this area due to the exhaust pipes. The hose must be protected so it doesn't prematurely get brittle and break from the heat. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the hose goes almost vertically up to the bottom of the trunk. This keeps the vent cap away from water/dirt.

IMG_1947 (960x1280).jpg

Here's a picture of the heat shield material. I think I got it at Autozone, or O'Reilly's. I also wrapped the plastic cap with the heat shielding, very loosely, to protect the plastic from the intense exhaust heat but still provide ventilation.

IMG_1949 (960x1280).jpg

Over 3,000 miles on fix, 100+mph. No leaks, no melts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
Excellent idea. Thanks for sharing.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all are very welcome.
This Forum has been a big help to me as a new Mustang owner.
Wanted to give something back, hope it's useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The factory Ford fix, in my opinion, was inadequate. There are other pics on this forum of the Ford fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts