Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is superb. Just one warning about one aspect of the ergonomics.

I'm going to have to put some padding on the steering column height adjustment lock. It doesn't lie flush with the steering column and by the end of my first day with the car I had a raised bruise inside my right knee from whapping it during egress. I normally pride myself on not being a moron, but turns out I need to childproof my stang. For myself.:embarrassed

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
While it's true that's not flush under there, I'm trying to figure out how to managed that... do you driving laying down? :gringreen

·
Registered
786 Posts
I did that in my 08 a couple times. especially after other people had driven it and scooted the seat forward.

You get used to scooting the seat back in any car you drive after you do that a few times.

/suckshavinglonglegsdoesn'tit?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Mine is pretty much flush. I'm not super tall (6 foot) and haven't hit this yet. I don't know how I would hit it, but maybe you guys are giants...:winks

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I've owned a S197 Mustang GT for almost 5 years and have NEVER hit my knee on the steering column. I'm almost 6.2 ft. tall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 5'6 and i have nailed my knee on it numerous times. i blame it on sitting so close because its a m6 and having to get the clutch all the way to the firewall.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm only 5' 9" and have never come close to nailing the column. I don't sit 6" from the center of the wheel either though. I like my space!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I only hit it when people have moved the seat forward or if I have it forward because someone is in the back seat.

other than that i keep it far enough back that I can get my knees under the column.

It's not as much a height thing as it is a length of leg thing.

If you have long legs but a short torso you have to sit far back for you legs but then have to reach far forward to grab the wheel. so your legs get squished up into the dash and you are more prone to hitting your knees. Some people in my family sit with the seats so far forward to reach the pedals that I physically can't bend my legs to get them under the column.

I can however see on top of the fridge and step over the cat when it's laying on the stairs. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interwebs incredulity notwithstanding, I guess my preferred seating position just happens to set up my knee for failure.

It's maybe 9 inches or so from gut to steering wheel for me. I may try going back a bit, but I do prefer a closer clutch stomp. Fallback I suppose is waiting on the power seat motor going back and forth every time I get in or out. I wish the lock were flush, but if wishes were horses . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.