Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving my 2011 V6 3.7L Mustang on the interstate, there are many times I want to accelerate slightly (say 5 miles per hour) while making a lane change. I am having the problem that I will slightly depress the accelerator (while at 60 to 65 mph) and get NO response. I press a little more - nothing. I press more and now it is 3 seconds later and finally the car starts to increase speed. The engine rpm responds, but the car doesn't go faster.

This problem is very frustrating and has caused me to abandon lane changes because the car could not respond on time. And more frustrating, if I press the accelerator too far, I will get a downshift (that I did not want).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to the 2.73 differential gears and the low engine rpm on the highway or is it a problem with the transmission? :confused:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You will generally not be able to pass anyone or accelerate very well in 6th gear. This is mainly a cruising, fuel economy saving over drive gear. This is why if you depress the accelerator gently while in 6th on the highway, you will accelerate very slowly if the gear does not drop. With 2.73 gears I imagine your engine RPM is around 1600 at 60-65 mph. At that point in the power band the 3.7L makes less than 75 hp. The only way is to depress the pedal farther (the gear will drop and the rpm will increase) moving the engine higher into the power band.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When driving my 2011 V6 3.7L Mustang on the interstate, there are many times I want to accelerate slightly (say 5 miles per hour) while making a lane change. I am having the problem that I will slightly depress the accelerator (while at 60 to 65 mph) and get NO response. I press a little more - nothing. I press more and now it is 3 seconds later and finally the car starts to increase speed. The engine rpm responds, but the car doesn't go faster.

This problem is very frustrating and has caused me to abandon lane changes because the car could not respond on time. And more frustrating, if I press the accelerator too far, I will get a downshift (that I did not want).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to the 2.73 differential gears and the low engine rpm on the highway or is it a problem with the transmission? :confused:

The Tune did wonders for my delayed acceleration!
My delay is almost completely gone now.
I'd recommend it to anyone.
I have the 2.73 gears as well. (Auto Tranny though)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yeah, the automatics are bad about this, tune will do wonders.

And the tune can be adjusted to suit your preference so if after the tune it still does this some it can be adjusted out.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
popping or tapping unto the gas (NOT stomping or flooring), will cause the car to shift down to 3rd quicker. you are telling the car's computer to get with it, and so it kind of does. i reckon in the amount of time that it takes the car to respond is similar to a stick driver clutching and popping into 3rd. not instantaneous response but liveable. gradually pressing on the accelerator will get you no where fast.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah this annoyed me to no end until finally when I decide to pass someone, I just put it into third myself and pass them. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, matthewr87, the engine tacks at 1500 rpm at 65 mph. And as you indicated, there is a noticeable lack of power to accelerate with unless a downshift is forced. I cannot get any real power until the tack reaches about 2000 rpm.

With your 3.31 differential, do you get good throttle response at 65 mph without a downshift?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I also have 3.31s and I realzied when I test drove a 2.73 that the 3.31 was an essential option for me. I don't think at highway speeds the difference between the 2 is that great, but the 3.31s are much more effective when stoplight driving. At 65 I'm taching around 1800

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes, matthewr87, the engine tacks at 1500 rpm at 65 mph. And as you indicated, there is a noticeable lack of power to accelerate with unless a downshift is forced. I cannot get any real power until the tack reaches about 2000 rpm.

With your 3.31 differential, do you get good throttle response at 65 mph without a downshift?
There is definitely a delay when pushing the accelerator while cruising in 6th. These cars are tuned for fuel economy so they do not automatically drop into the lower gears. So if you want good acceleration at highway speeds the only way to do it is punch the throttle. If you depress it slightly you may only get a downshift to 4th or 3rd and still be out of the good powerband.

·
Registered
532 Posts
All your folk's acceleration issues would be resolved with a good tune. But if you're afraid to lose your warranty, never mind.

For what it's worth, I have a 2.73 gear AT, and with my tune (and I think the CAI and exhaust also help) I pull at all ranges of the RPM spectrum, from standing still to WOT.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Even with a tune, you won't be accelerating very much in 6th gear at 65 mph. The main thing a tune will do is quicken the shift into a lower gear, which will increase the engine rpm and thus allow you to accelerate quickly.

If I understand it correctly, the OP was asking whether not being able to accelerate quickly in 6th on the highway is normal: in short, it is, and a tune won't help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I understand it correctly, the OP was asking whether not being able to accelerate quickly in 6th on the highway is normal: in short, it is, and a tune won't help.
Just to be clear, the OP didn't mention 6th gear, the second poster brought up 6th gear. The OP was asking about acceleration in general while cruising at 65. With a tune (at least with an AT from my experience) there is no delay in accelerating from 65 to anything higher. I press the pedal, and the car pulls.

·
Registered
670 Posts
it's normal with the 2.73's. can't really baby the pedal in this car and expect it to move unfortunately

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's posts like this that make me happy to be driving a manual transmission Mustang. Nothing feels better than downshifting to third and gunning it.

F

·
0 Posts

Hi DaytonBill,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer so they can diagnose your vehicle and make sure there is nothing else going on. I’d also like to escalate this for you. Could you please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer?

Deysha

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

Sorry if I missed something but is it stick or auto? All automatic cars have a delay when accelerating (not tuned that is) hence why I got into stick in the first place some years back... but your delay sounds more than just a standard auto delay......

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry if I missed something but is it stick or auto? All automatic cars have a delay when accelerating (not tuned that is) hence why I got into stick in the first place some years back... but your delay sounds more than just a standard auto delay......
You drove my AT with the tune...no delay there, right?

zoom zoom!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You drove my AT with the tune...no delay there, right?

zoom zoom!
None, correct. In fact I drove my fathers 2011 Premium with 3.7 Gears and there is no question at all that yours responded quicker, was faster, and had less/no delay at all.

The tune was immediately noticeable driving your car, made me a bit jealous actually :)

Did you ever get those wheels painted black? I was hoping I could see some pics because I might wish to do the same thing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Off topic: I say we get a South Florida Meet going :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Off topic: I say we get a South Florida Meet going :D
I agree! There are already Mustang clubs for Ft. Lauderdale and Miami (probably others too) but we should start a "All Ford Mustangs South Florida" Gig!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts