Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 2011 V6 base, with no options. This is probably the cheapest 2011 around! With the rebate and special financing offers, is a great deal. I am thinking I could get this car and then upgrade it as I go along. The only thing I am thinking I would miss from the premium package are the extra gauges. I like some of the parts from the performance package, but I can do upgrades piecemeal as I go. Anyone else go this way?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Base Car

Yeah, my son in law just did this last week. Found a base Mustang, in the color he wanted and plans to add a few things as he goes.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
The seats are different too. I was concerned I wouldn't like the base seats (I have an old thoracic spine injury), but they are fine if non-adjustable in lumbar.

No, I did nearly the same thing - except I ordered a base with 3.31s and no other options.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was originally thinking the same thing, but there are certain things I can't live without, one of them being the decent stereo. I don't have the time or the desire to rewire a car for a stereo. I could have lived without the leather seats/power seats and most of the other options, but all of these added features add up to a larger residual value.

Have you seen the my color/Ambient lighting on the Premium package? Friggin awesome...And the rims on the Pony Package? Superb...And the look/feel of the psuedo leather seats w/lumber support? Oh so comfortable...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Ya, it can go up and up, but I see your point. Lumbar support would be nice in the cloth seats!
You could always get a lumbar pillow to throw onto the seats. I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dont drive at night much but when I do I forget how awesome the ambient lighting is. Really, a top notch feature that is not overdone..just the right ammount of color.

Also, the shaker sound system, leather, sync, and the other small details really make the premium worth it. But hey, if you want to take a base model and dress it up the way you want it thats cool too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found a 2011 V6 base, with no options. This is probably the cheapest 2011 around! With the rebate and special financing offers, is a great deal. I am thinking I could get this car and then upgrade it as I go along. The only thing I am thinking I would miss from the premium package are the extra gauges. I like some of the parts from the performance package, but I can do upgrades piecemeal as I go. Anyone else go this way?
This is exactly what I did...ordered it with NO options. I think this gives you the best "bang-for-the-buck" by far. The base package already came with every conceivable thing I could want, so I didn't need to spring the extra $$ for an option package which had a bunch of stuff I didn't care about. The only option I really wanted was the glass roof ($2K), but you can't get one unless you order the Premium Package first, so I was basically looking at $5K for the one thing I wanted...I passed. I paid just under $21K for the car, then spent another $2K on mods. to set the car up exactly the way I wanted it. You can easily get the price of a V6 car to approach $30K (that's 5.0 GT territory) if you check too many option boxes. As for the "gauges" that come with the Premium Package...they are relatively useless. You won't miss them.

Rick

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I went with the base model, been in cars with the premium package and the ambient lighting and personally didn't care too much for it. The stock sound system is decent enough for my needs too, has a single CD player and can connect an iPod or MP3 player for endless music... the seat is comfortable for me and I'm 6'3" tall and have a bad back.

If I want leather I can purchase from NewTakeOff.com for less than $500 and still have the manual seat, which actually goes back farther then the power driver seat.

I say go for it, mod it to your likings!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with the base model. I even used to joke that I would have bought it without the AC if it would have saved me a buck. My heart was set on getting one of these 2011 V6s no matter what it took, despite it being at the top end of my price range. I did it last August and I never looked back. Since then I have bought a JLT CAI and 93R SCT tune for it. VERY NICE :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I passed. I paid just under $21K for the car, then spent another $2K on mods. to set the car up exactly the way I wanted it. You can easily get the price of a V6 car to approach $30K (that's 5.0 GT territory) if you check too many option boxes. As for the "gauges" that come with the Premium Package...they are relatively useless. You won't miss them.

Rick

Mine had an MSRP with dealer options and delivery of $30,500, although you know I didn't pay anywhere near that. I got them down to about $26k with the rebate, added on taxes, and then raped them on my trade in (I had a 2004 Suzuki XL7 with 158k miles in rough shape (although it ran great) which they gave me $4500 for. I only expected to get $2500 for it, but the guy offered me $4k, so I pushed him for $5k, and we met in the middle.

In my mind, the extra options are worth the payment given that 5 years down the road with 75k miles, the car is still going to be worth $10k-$14k according to current residual value estimates. The base model with no options isn't in such a good position at $7k-$9k if that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could see leather adding value down the road, but not sure about the rest? So you estimate the that premium package will bring 3-5k more value after 75k miles?

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Most likely more like $2K in resale, still significant.

Bigcanoe, plan on ~$500 or less for a ring and pinion install. Do it early, and some bearings might be reusable. I no longer do my own because I changed jobs and lost after-hours access to hydraulic presses and a few other things for the job. If doing it yourself, it'd be more like $300 with all the fixings.

The 3.31s seem conservative enough; I wouldn't bother for less than a 3.55 if changing from 2.73. 3.73 seems popular around this baord.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Premium package does add quite a bit, but the rest of the upgrades will add even more. On mine, I also have the Pony Package (different rims, spoiler, badging, etc), comfort package (heated seats, power passenger seat, etc) and security package (wheel locks, active anti theft with motion detection).

All of these things add residual value to the car, and can add up quite nicely on the aftermarket. So, yeah, I would expect my car at 5 years old with about 75k to sell for upwards of $14k. I wouldn't even think of paying that much for a 5 year old base model with no options, and most other consumers would feel the same way. Think of it if you were in the market and saw those two sitting next to each other on the lot. They would look like tow totally different cars.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got the base model and I have looked at all of the performance options that are discussed on this sight (not the supercharger) and if I was to do everything but the supercharger I will spend about 1500. If I add that to my purchase price, I am still nowhere near the 29000 for the Performance package or the 32000 for the completely loaded one. Even if I throw in another 1000 for leather seats (which would be nice) im still almost 10000 below the loaded V6. I drove a completely decked out Avalance with all the bells and whistles and I can honestly say I dont miss any of them. The Air is nice, the stero ( I did upgrade) is nice, the seats are very comfortable, and the car is a blast. Oh I did not account for wheels and tires, but I would never upgrade to tires that I would not want to pay to replace and for performance that I will not use. I love power and wnat the straight line speed but the car handles fine for me. And in my opinion the "premium" wheels are hideous. I know many of you love them, but IMO just plain ugly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Before I get fussed at, I know 1500 does not cover all the upgrades discussed in the forum, but it covers my exhaust upgrade, my CAI from airaid and a gear change. Those few things will give me the added power that I desire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts