Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I think you guys could help me out. I searched a bit in the threads but didn't find any answers to my questions.

So I'm considering the very base V6 Mustang for my next purchase, used. It fits my budget and I'm not really picky on comfort... except for 2 things:

-Sound (which I'm not really that picky)
-Bluetooth

I'm upgrading from a 2001 Civic DX on which I changed the head unit to one that supports bluetooth and told myself I would upgrade only if the new car also had bluetooth. I don't need Sirius, HD radio, navigation or whatever gadget cars come with right now. All I need is bluetooth (and cruise control which is standard anyways).

I also want to know how is the sound on the base model. Just as a benchmark, I always considered the sound in my girlfriend's 2004 Oldsmobile Alero was good and enough for me, so I wanted to know if the speakers would need to be upgraded.

Basically my questions are:

-How is the sound from the 4 speakers? Is it decent or should it be upgraded?
-How would it cost to put a decent head unit in the Mustang and make it install by someone?

I know it cost me about 500$ for my Civic total (unit included), but sometimes cars are not the same, some head units are more difficult to change, etc.

For the speakers, I found a thread on this forum about a guy showing how to change them, so I guess I could try to change them myself, it seems quite easy. For the head unit, I tried on my Civic and pretty much scratched a lot of plastic, so I'd prefer someone else doing it...

Thanks a lot for the feedback

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well no stock sound system is going to sound any good compared to aftermarket systems. For $500 you could replace all 4 speakers and install a new HU and Amp to get a better quality sound. If it was me I would spend the extra $1000 and do it right and install a sub or two as well. As for replacing a HU there are a couple tricks i learned with my truck. use a plastic popper that is rubber coated, not a flat head screw driver.Then when you have stock stereo out, put a towel under it as it sits on the plastic until you can completely disconnect it. If you have a friend to hold it it makes it a lot easier cause you dont have to worry about scraping or falling. Those auto mats that you see people set tools on when there working in the engine work really good if there clean. I also used the blue painters tape to cover all my plastic where i was working.

Check out www.crutchfield.com for car audio. They provide AWESOME service and you can get step by step help from them if needed. Also when you order from there you get plug and play connectors so no splicing = no void in warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch, the adapter itself costs 300$ ! That is not what I expected... I fear replacing some stuff will bring the bill very close to the difference of price between the base and the premium model...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I installed all my stuff by myself and i have no car audio background. Ive never installed a car stereo in my life prior. Its actually very easy when you do some reading and check on forums.

Crutchfield sells the mustang dash adaptors. Sometimes they offer them at 1/2 price when you buy a premium Head Unit. Basic 6x8 speakers can be had pretty cheap. I would only replace the fronts, as the rears are just "fill".

The only thing I would recomend is just doing the install 1 time. If you can afford to its easier to do it once while the interior is all taken apart. Add all speakers, amps, head units and everything once.

Go buy the mustang now and show us some install pics

Sent from my SGH-I317M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not ready to buy the car yet, it will be probably before/during/after the summer. I'm considering that or a 2012 Focus Titanium so the total cost of the car with all required upgrades is something that I need before making my choice and then really shop the car precisely.

Yeah I figured out from the overcomplicated videos of installing the rear speakers that only the front will get the upgrade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I upgraded the sound by just tapping into the rear speaker
high level outputs and added a 4 channel amp.I changed the rear speakers to better quality ones and added a 10" subwoofer with matching box.The amp powers the sub and the two rear speakers.When it gets warmer here,I'm gonna change the two front speakers also to better quality ones.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If it's estimated cost you want. I changed everything except the rears. Cost was about $1,500 give or take. Including all install accessories.

Im happy with it. Only thing I would change is getting a 12" subwoofer for a bit more bass. i have to admit the 10" blends real nice though.

The shaker500 system is pretty good though. My setup now is better quality, but the shaker500 isnt no slouch. I just couldnt take the lack of bass quality from the door subs. I have disconnected them with my setup now.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You don't want a Ford Focus if you care about reliability.
Read Consumer Reports April 2013 issue when it comes out.
Find out which similar sized brands and models are reliable.
And if it's fun to drive you're interested in, there are some more fun to drive than the Focus also.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have a base V6 and I replaced my head unit/speakers. Yes having to replace the HVAC panel was absurd, but once you do it, you open yourself up to many options as far as replacement head units goes.

If you just replace your speakers, that'll run you about $150 for a reasonable set of four speakers (and harness adapters).

If you replace the head unit, that'll be $350 for the HVAC panel plus whatever you spend on your new head unit PLUS the cost of the harness adapter and antenna cable adapter. At the very minimum, expect to spend at least $650 on the whole thing (including speakers).

Finally, if you need someone to install all this stuff for you, you should plan on spending money for labor as well. I don't know what to tell you in that regard because I install all my own stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Implying one must care about consumers report in 2013... Statistical problems of Consumer Reports auto ratings

I want to have bluetooth to stream music.

I think I'll opt for a higher end head unit anyways, since the HVAC costs a lot, so might as well put something with navigation in there.

If I buy 100$ door speakers, do I need to put an amplifier or buy anything else? Because I won't need a sub that is sure, neither changing the rear speakers. I'm not much into sound, I just want it to sound decent.

Right now the prices I see is like

Head unit: 500$
HVAC: 200$
Antenna & Harness adapters: 100$
Speakers: 100$

Basically that puts me in the 900-1000$ field. I think I will try to get some tools and do it myself, the door panels and the head unit don't seem overcomplicated to install. But when I buy my units anyways I'll ask the shop how much they would charge me for the install. Basically I don't think it can go much higher than 1200$ (with labor), so I'm good on my budget.

Is there anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
555 Posts
You dont have to get an amplifier for the speakers. The Head Unit will have a small amplifier for front and rear speakers. It will only output about 16 watts rms. So try to pick a speaker that doesnt have a high wattage rating. Otherwise an amp might work better in some scenarios.

R

·
0 Posts
Even just doing some name brand 6 x 9 two-ways is a massive improvement over the stock speakers. Check out Crutchfield, they have quite a few, that include adapters, for around $50.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
500$ for a headunit????? Try $150-200

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
A double-DIN with the features he wants is much more than $200, because you usually get additional features you don't really care about, like touch screen, sirius radio support, etc, etc.

When I replaced mine, I didn't want or need a CD player, and didn't need sirius or blue tooth support, but the head unit came with all that crap. All I wanted was a way to plug in a thumb drive. I saved a bunch of cash by getting a single-DIN head unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts