Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to believe?

The gauge shows 25.4 MPG average and when I manually checked the last fill up I got 29.37.

I drive 90% hiway at 69-72 MPH, 90 miles roundtrip, 5 days a week.

I know the manual calculation is more accurate but why the 4 MPG difference?????

·
Registered
381 Posts
it's not real time accurate. more like average. i would go based of the manual calculation. do a few more manual tests to make sure that is consistent.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Heck, are you complaining because it gets better mileage than the dash readout shows?

The dash readout shows the mileage at a certain point in time, not the mileage for a tank of gas like the manual calculation gives you. And Ford has it set to be pessimistic, they always show lower than the mileage for the tankful.

Hell, be happy that you are getting as good mileage as you are.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I drive a similar profile, 84 miles 80% interstate doing 70-75. I average 28mpg with 87 octane and 29mpg using 93.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hand calculations will always be the most accurate, I have the base model so don't have all the whistles & bells but even if i had that I would still hand calculate the mileage. I have since day one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, not complaining just trying to convince the wife that the readout is an average. To get the true MPG you have to do the calculations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts