Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't happy with any of the cat-backs that were out there. I wasn't happy with their quality, I wasn't happy with their sound and I CERTAINLY wasn't happy with the companies gouging V6 owners with muffler deletes and then calling their product "aggressive" or "race" when all they are is straight pipe welded in place of the muffler.

I've been racing cars since I was a kid. Having done most of my own work, I knew I could find a BETTER and CHEAPER alternative to what Roush Magnaflow Slowmaster Pypes Corsa etc... were offering AND have my own unique sound.

I didn't want something that was gonna wake the neighbors or drone, but really gets loud at wide open throttle. This company did the supercharging piping on my Camaro, so I knew they would do a good job.

I like the results. I hope you agree.

YouTube - ‪PhillyLS1's 2011 Mustang V6 Premium Mandrel Bending Solutions FullBoar Exhaust System‬‏

You can order the parts from the company that is in YouTube description. Then do it yourself or take the parts to a competent exhaust shop. An hour later you'll have what I think is the best exhaust system I've heard yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is a great sounding system.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How much would that set someone back in the financial department?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much would that set someone back in the financial department?
If you're doing the work yourself? It's less than $50 a muffler and then picking out your tips and fabricating the hangers

If you need an exhaust shop to do it? MAYBE $300-$350 depending.

It's all in what you want. That's why doing things custom sometimes can save you money and you get what you actually want.

B

·
0 Posts
That sounds somewhat similar to mine, but I think mine is a little deeper in tone and has less popping due to the resonated tips. Sounds good though. I have considered upgrading the entire thing to 2.5", I could have a shop replace the mid-pipe easily since it's straight, but what I need is the piece from the mid-pipe that goes over the axle to the axle back connection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice, one of the best sounding videos that has been posted. Be nice if you could hook us up as to how that was done. I'm not looking to spend 5 or 6 hundred on mufflers.......just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's with "Mustang collectors addition"???

Looks like a MCA to me, "Mustang Club of America"...
I dunno. I don't read into all the different packages and editions Ford whores out with the Mustang. When I saw that Ford made a Mustang cologne I knew they jumped the shark.

Sorry for the massive mistake. I hope my mistake didn't change the sound of the exhaust too much.

Very nice, one of the best sounding videos that has been posted. Be nice if you could hook us up as to how that was done. I'm not looking to spend 5 or 6 hundred on mufflers.......just doesn't seem right.
It isn't right. Not at all. These companies are ripping V6 owners off. There isn't alot of R&D into these things.

Anyway, this is the best way I can describe how to do it:

Order the mufflers you decide on. Order the tips you decide on

I used this muffler: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FULL...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1237wt_786

Measure from the ground up where you want to cut the rear section off.
Mark where you're going to cut with a sharpie.
Cut off the stock mufflers.
Fit the muffler up to where you cut. Put a small weld at the top and bottom of the pipe to gauge fitment.
Fabricate your hangers. Make sure the clearance is correct as well as the exhaust isn't making any noise
Fit the tips onto the muffler.
Measure and eye them up 6000 times to make sure you are happy.
The exhaust on the Mustang is not even, so you may need to trim either the muffler or tip.
When you have the fitment of the tips on correctly weld them to the muffler.
Eye up the mufflers. Measure. Complete the welds. Check for leaks.

Its not very hard at all. Feel free to ask for more in depth questions if I missed anything.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hmmm....so technically this would qualify as an axleback then right? Or would it be a catback?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looks nice and well done, but too much popping for my liking.

B

·
0 Posts
You just need resonated tips. They don't completely remove the popping but does reduce it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
snap, crACKLE, POP
for 100$ not bad, for 300-350 i'm better off with my hidden FM's, not as loud, but just enough.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't hear the popping when driving. Seems to only do it while revving. Shrug.

I'll take a little popping for a couple hundred dollars of savings and quality products.

The point of this thread wasn't "look at me" it's more of DON'T pay $600 for a catback or axel back etc when you can customize your stang to what you like. There are more options out there. Explore them. It's a disgrace that 2 mufflers for a V6 are $600.00

·
Registered
510 Posts
Idle sounds nice from the video. As for cost, don't forget the Dynomax can be had easily under $500, maybe under $400.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Idle sounds nice from the video. As for cost, don't forget the Dynomax can be had easily under $500, maybe under $400.
These mufflers are 47.95 a piece ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice neon                 
It's for sale! It served me well, just wanted something a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I can totally get behind your point of this thread. $600+ for mufflers and tips is absurd.

B

·
0 Posts
These mufflers are 47.95 a piece ;)
Yep, the Pypes M80s are less than $45 and only weigh like 4lbs. You can find quality mufflers cheap if you look. The manufacturers rake you over the coals for the full system. You can get 2.5" 304 stainless steel for just a few dollars a foot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts