Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 V6 Automatic 3.73 with about 22,000 kms on it. That's about 14,000 miles. I've noticed in the past few weeks an odd kind of "whirrrr" noise when I don't have the radio up and the car is rolling. It almost sounds as it may be rolling unevenly. Like it's wobbling? Hard to describe. It's definitely getting more and more prominent though.

Also sometimes when it starts up I'm getting a belt or something under the hood making an odd noise. Almost like theres condensation or something on a belt. Which is odd since I park it in an underground dry warm place.

So I booked an appointment at a dealership for Thursday and they are going to have a look at it. Other than the (fixed 05/11) Lifter Engine Tick problem and my driver's side decal stripes flaking off (will be fixed with this appointment), I'm not having too many problems.

Any thoughts?

J

·
0 Posts
I recently change the Passenger side rear wheel bearing on my wife's 2002 Accord, a hub type bearing. I was a little surprised it went out at 80K miles. 14K is rediculous! Her's sounded like a low growl, is the best way I can describe it, and it slowly got louder. Hub bearings are easy, about 45 minutes total. Not that it matters the dealer will take care of it. :yup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting Jeff. I had a 2002 Accord and had the same problem---passenger side rear wheel bearing went out at 80k. Growl got pretty loud before it was fixed...

But one going out at 14k miles? Well thank god for warrenties.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey tylerleach,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. Glad to hear you are working with your dealer to get these issues resolved. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your contact info, VIN, and dealer.

Deysha

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The whirr noise is most likely the rear axle ring and pinion, you probably notice it only when accelerating or maintaining speed. When you back off the accelerator the noise goes away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my 2011 V6 manual 23K back from the Dealer Friday. I sent it in with a similar noise in the rear that kept getting louder. It ended up being Carrier Bearings. They replaced them and it's been quiet since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the lack of updates. Life got busy quickly and I haven't had much time for anything other then work and moving across the country.

Anyhow, I had it in to two separate dealerships who both labelled the issue as nothing more then tire noise. They checked and confirmed the braking system was not the culprit. The last of the two I went to said that he was sure that after driving the 4000 kms (moving to Toronto from Vancouver) that the noise would go away.

Well, it hasn't, and it's even worse. At 75MPH, it was not very noticeable but when you get between 30-50MPH it can be heard even over the radio. I really noticed it after finally arriving and slowing down off the highway onto some normal roads. The slower I go, the slower the noise gets. The front end seems to be really making a lot of noise, almost as if it's bouncing?

I'm taking into a Ford Dealership here in Ontario, praying that they don't turn me back again with "Normal Tire Noise". It's beyond that for sure, and it feels like the brand new sports car has become a cheap taxi cab with 300,000 kms on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts