Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We took a Stock 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang and did a couple baseline pulls on the dyno and it made 367RWHP and 328RWTQ.

On a side note: We have a Mustang 1100-SE Loaded Dyno, which typically reads 5-7% less then a Dyno Jet. The only thing that matters are the gains over the baseline.

We then Installed a Magnaflow Off Road X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust System, and a JLT Plastic Cold Air Intake to help the car breathe a little better.

No Mustang would be complete without loading one of our custom tunes for the 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang, which has a lot of changes made to the Ti-VCT to make up for the low end torque loss the BOSS has because of the Intake Manifold.

The end result was a Peak Gain of 33RWHP and 32RWTQ.

·
Registered
291 Posts
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223257_10150559967165648_262882950647_18322253_3606846_n.jpg[/IG]

We took a Stock 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang and did a couple baseline pulls on the dyno and it made 367RWHP and 328RWTQ.

[B]On a side note:[/B] We have a Mustang 1100-SE Loaded Dyno, which typically reads 5-7% less then a Dyno Jet. The only thing that matters are the gains over the baseline.

We then Installed a Magnaflow Off Road X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust System, and a JLT Plastic Cold Air Intake to help the car breathe a little better.

No Mustang would be complete without loading one of our custom tunes for the 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang, which has a lot of changes made to the Ti-VCT to make up for the low end torque loss the BOSS has because of the Intake Manifold.

[B][COLOR=black]The end result was a Peak Gain of 33RWHP and 32RWTQ.[/COLOR][/B]

[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225071_10150559968360648_262882950647_18322277_2720230_n.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224798_10150559966865648_262882950647_18322248_5188840_n.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

wow... for some reason I expected bigger gains..... nevertheless awesome numbers still.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats a nice gain for those mods but I actually would have expected a tad more hp stock.

My Gt put down 360 hp and 339 lbs/ft trq on a mustang dyno.

Of course every dyno is different even among the same brand, but still. The Boss put down around 10 less trq than my Gt which should be about right considering the Boss is rated at 10 less trq than the Gt. Looks like the Boss Hp numbers are right on while the GT's are a little underrated. But then again these are the only baseline Boss numbers I've seen.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
you are right… every dyno is different...
I have the Boss 302 intake, kooks headers, C&L CAI and Bama 93 race tune and only put down 371 RWhp STP corrected and max torque almost a flat line across was 320...
I am not to impressed by those numbers…
I took my car to the track tonight, Bandimere, 5800 feet above sea level and hung a 13.5 for my best time 107mph… crappy 60 foot time of 2.3…
Tire issue… Nitto NT05, I know, it is not a drag tire…
But better then the 2010/11 Camoro SS that was running mid 14's

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The boss is probably programmed to make more of its power up top and optimized for the increased air flow and higher rpms....im sure it has a different factory tune then a standard GT, which might explain the results messing with this thing based on whats been discovered on standard GT.

I wonder if the intake, tune and exahust did anything for this car and possibly even worked against it.

Having said that...the gains are probably what you would REALISTICALLY expect with a tune/intake and exhaust.....which is why i dont really bother. Remeber the gains of these are not going to be as much on a car that already has a factory cai, great cams, tubular headers and a more than adequate exhaust in the first place. (Although i understand the aftermarket coummunities need to try and sell products).

If you really wanted to improve a 2011 GT you would probably be better off getting better tires AND a set of drag radials and maybe add the FRPP handling package. (maybe the GT500 mufflers just for some sound) Or if you dont have brembos...the SVT front brake package thats about $1,200

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yea I only picked up 22 hp with LT's, O/R X, and catback along with an aluminum D/S. I was a little dissapointed in the gain but then again I'm still running a factory airbox/tune.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you are right… every dyno is different...
I have the Boss 302 intake, kooks headers, C&L CAI and Bama 93 race tune and only put down 371 RWhp STP corrected and max torque almost a flat line across was 320...
I am not to impressed by those numbers…
I took my car to the track tonight, Bandimere, 5800 feet above sea level and hung a 13.5 for my best time 107mph… crappy 60 foot time of 2.3…
Tire issue… Nitto NT05, I know, it is not a drag tire…
But better then the 2010/11 Camoro SS that was running mid 14's
The guy that dynoed my car has a '11 with a Boss intake, his didn't gain power from the intake until after redline I believe. But he gained a ton of hp around 7600 RPM and lost around 20 below 7000. He might could hook you up with a good tune.

Rick @ amazontuning.com or look them up on facebook.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Along with the differences from dyno to dyno and day to day, remember that these engines pick up HP with break-in. I would assume that Boss doesn't have many miles on it yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually the overall "peak gains", which is what most everyone talks about it, are definitely a nice thing to know but never tell the real story when changing from a tune that is factory stock. What, IMHO, that is often missed here is take a good look at the AUC on the torque curve. Through the entire mid-range there is a nice fat increase which translates to a car that's a whole bunch more fun on the street.

Considering the GT was underrated, I never expected the Boss to be much more than an "as advertised" car with a intake that merely shifted the curve rather than made a whole bunch more power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts