Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the dealer couldn't really help me. They said that the part numbers changed due to production dates but can't verify if there were any design or fitment changes. Hopefully somebody here knows.

Between 2011 and 2012, did the V6 models receive any exhaust changes or will '11 exhaust (catback OR axleback) direct interchange? Seems nobody has fitment listings for the '12MY yet...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Well, with all the online retailers updated to the '12 Mustang parts, they list all the cat/axel-back systems as 11-12, which means they are interchangeable between the two years.

In short, yes they will work.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My tips look different from the 2011 V6 Mustangs I've seen, that's about it. Sounds the same.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My tips look different from the 2011 V6 Mustangs I've seen, that's about it. Sounds the same.
That's weird. I'm pretty sure mine are the same as my step-dad's 2011.

·
Registered
112 Posts
there are 2 diff types of tips in the 2011 models. which could be while you have seen different ones. i believe the pp has different tips. i could be wrong by i know for a facts there are 2 different types of tips

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ Interesting factoid. I'd like to see pics of each just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
there are 2 diff types of tips in the 2011 models. which could be while you have seen different ones. i believe the pp has different tips. i could be wrong by i know for a facts there are 2 different types of tips
Its manual vs. auto that decides tip type (in 2011 at least).

Manuals have big open holes and autos have little pipes in the middle of the exhaust tips (embarrassing).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Its manual vs. auto that decides tip type (in 2011 at least).

Manuals have big open holes and autos have little pipes in the middle of the exhaust tips (embarrassing).
Maybe that's it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
my 2011 manual doesn't have a little pipe inside of the tips..... I just looked to verify it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah, it is it.

I have a manual and it didn't come with the center pipes. I also saw confirmation posts on this forum saying that automatics do have the pipe. Might wanna take a 2nd peek!
I will have to check when I get in it today. When I was washing it last it caught my eye and I thought it was odd. Maybe my imagination. :kooky:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've got an automatic and DO have the little pipes in the center. My dealer also mentioned to me that it was a way to tell if the car was auto or manual.

Does anyone know the purpose of the different tips between the two?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Just a few decent pictures I found that would verify this. It still seems strange to me that Ford would do this.

Manual MCA Performance Package V6:

Assuming otherwise stock V6 Automatic:

Mine look like the ones above on the silver 'Stang.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, mine is a manual, no little pipes in the center. I was just at the dealership and looked through their mustang inventory. All Autos had the little pipes, all the Manuals had no little pipes. I wonder why? Do they sound different? I think my factory exhaust sounds pretty awesome for a stock exhaust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i will post back in a few hours when i get on lunch break. I have an automatic, and off the top my head right now I will say I have no little pipes in the center?
Also what are some good tips I could put on my car?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i will post back in a few hours when i get on lunch break. I have an automatic, and off the top my head right now I will say I have no little pipes in the center?
Also what are some good tips I could put on my car?
Anything polished stainless steel and 3.5" - 4" round. Check out the tips on Summit Racing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread but...

I have a 2012 auto and yes...I have those nasty little pipes inside the tips. I think they look pretty sad...not diggin' them at all. :(

I want to get rid of them but I really don't want to upgrade to a loud aftermarket exhaust system.

I could get new tips but I've read in other posts that the OEM manual mufflers (without the little pipes inside) are much deeper sounding than the OEM automatic mufflers. Apparently there is a sound difference between the two types of OEM mufflers? In short the manual versions sound better without being too obnoxious.

Any of you manual equipped guys that have already upgraded to aftermarket axle-backs want to trade your OEM "manual" mufflers for my "auto" mufflers? I'm also willing to throw in some cash to make the deal sweeter.

If you live in Socal...that would be even better!

Thanks

Later...Dave

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Dave, the Dynomax cat-backs are a nice option if you are lookin for a nice sound without being "obnoxious" like most of the aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the advice 2VipeRS.

I had the Dynomax 3" Ultra-flow CB on my old 2003 Cobra and loved it. I also ran Dynomax on a previous 1988 5.0 I had way back in the day.

Fit was great with both systems but I did have to modify one of the tailpipes on the 2003 to clear the diff brace. Sounds were deeper than stock but not loud.

I still like the idea of finding some OEM manual muffs for my 2012 V6.

:yup:

Later...Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts