Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Better to ask than guess and be wrong, so no worries.

Some people try and cheap out with a FWD car and only get 2 winter tires. They probably make it to spring in one piece because the front tires do both the steering AND propulsion, so they think they're fine. However, were they to go around any corner at moderate speed or above, they'll likely find themselves in a spin rather quickly since the rear has no grip.

On a RWD car, there are no excuses for only using 2 winter tires. Without winters on all 4, you'll accelerate just fine...and then have trouble steering or stopping. Your call, but tires are one place you do NOT want to cheap out on. Only part of the car that touches the ground. Without good tires (winter OR summer), your 400hp are useless.

Completely agree. Over here in Germany it's mandatory to have all four snow tires the same. Actually, if you've ever drivein a RWD car in the snow you will know immediately that having all four good snow tires makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I see your point heavyD. I myself like to drive my winter beater and that makes me look forward to getting my Mustangs out in the spring. But I do understand where you are coming from. I do have a pet peave though. My 2011 GT has never even had the wipers on so I don't even know if they work. Im trying to prolong the record.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '12 GT woth brembo is on order and will be here in a few weeks. I live in Quebec and we have a pretty harsh winter. I will need to put on winter tires on those 19s and the only ones i have found that will fit the massive 255-49-19 wheels are the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3.

Does anyone have any experience driving the 5.0 in the winter and heavy snow?
We are not yet Mustang owners but have tried a couple of 5.0s with the 245/45/19 rims and all-season performance tires and are quite intrigued with the car. We had a Contour SVT as a second car for a while and in terms of handling it was like a down-market M3. Like the new Mustang 5.0. If you have not seen it, please look at the following link and especially the video

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/

Our preference would be the Brembo brake package with the 255/40/19 rims and tires. But winter tires are an issue in this size. We are on the road between Vancouver and Whistler a lot and while it is bare or wet pavement much of the time one does not want to be stuck on that road in a winter storm with the wrong tires, not to mention on our 50 m long 10% grade driveway.

What you want for snow and ice is a narrow tire with a good winter rubber compound. The size of the Brembo brakes limits the rims that will fit on the Mustang. All of the Tire Rack wheel options for the Brembo Mustang seem to be 255 mm wide and a Ford dealership which sells Ford performance stuff said that their only option is GT 500 wheels. And since most of the winter tires for such wheels are performance rated (V+) they are generally not good winter tires.

We went through this with our present car, an Audi A6 4.2 sport, which has 255/40/17 tires and big brakes. The least bad winter option for us proved to be a Continental all-season ultra-performance tire, in spite of having a new set of Goodyear F1 summer tires for the car. The Contis proved in actual tests to be as good as or better than V-rated winter tires.

The tires work well on the Audi for traction (with AWD and traction control we could accelerate full throttle uphill in deep snow) but they could be strange in turning at lower speeds. A flick of the throttle while turning would cause the car to slide sideways, something I could control with the AWD. I suspect the back of a Mustang would really swing out. As far as I could tell, the issue was the width of the tires, not the tire design; they behaved a bit like four snowboards. And the Audi has a 50/50 torque split and only 300 hp.

We would be very interested in any experience with the Brembo package Mustangs and if anybody figured out a way to get narrower wheels on the car (e.g. 235 mm) and good winter tires, probably H-rated or lower.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.