Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've searched and searched and i find 100s of "my car is shaking" posts with almost no helpful information. Most of these are old posts and seem to have been forgotten maybe so I'm posting again to try and figure this out... sorry because it's gonna be long with lots of info, because I've done quite a lot trying to figure this out.

I have 2012 GT/CS and I have no suspension mods (yet), i bought some 19x10 wheels (SVES350) with a 40 offset, and the wheels and tires fit perfectly fine all around. I originally had 275/40/19 pirelli p zero all around and that drove ok, but the sidewall was way too high on the front and caused rub under heavy loads. Not to mention there was a ton of what felt like a body roll when i ran these tires, they still gripped, but after a while i started noticing the lack of stability.

I swapped these over to a set of 285/35/19 tires, which fit fine all around. They are hankook ventus v12 evo2 for reference.
After test fitting, everything seemed to clear and work fine, but I only put the rear 2 on because I had to wait for the other 2 to come in. At first I got 2 used ones from ebay with no patches or plugs visable. Tires were inspected, mounted, and balanced within specs. They had 8/32 tread left, no flat spots, no bad wear pattern etc etc.
So i drove with those on the rear (odd i know) and the 275/40/19 tires up front... which had a considerable annoying feeling because the front was taller and had more sidewall. I don't recall feeling the shaking then.
Fast forward and my 2 new tires came in, they were inspected, mounted, balanced, then placed on back and the back moved to the front. After i left the shop that did this, on the way home after i got out of the city, i got around 65mph and the car started shaking and it felt like the front right was wobbling almost... i had a friend watch and record and there's no wobble visable at all on any tires.
Later, I couldn't find any issues myself so i figured they needed to be balanced again... and sure enough i balanced all 4 between 2 trips and 2 different shops, then ended up going to the same shop for all 4 again to check... i spent about 40$ total because one shop offered to rebalance for free if it was off at all. The rear left was off by 2oz, (someone stuck a lot of weights on it), and the front right was off by 1.25oz also way too many weights.
I thought that would fix the problem and.... nope, still there.
I checked the tie rod ends, the wheels don't shake much more than 1mm if that, up and down, left right, it doesn't pull out or push in, I've got new rotors and pads, all inspected and nothing warped etc etc.
I literally cannot find anything else and I'm starting to think that the issue is somehow the "new" tires. Since that's when this started.
I've had a shop say that road force balancing is my next step before replacing other components, since I've had one of the mechanics that works there look at the car already and inspected the components.
edit
Side note: the car never shook before putting the new tires on... but I was told if it was a bent rim or the wrong shape, that the wheels wouldn't balance.
Edit: Alignment showed in spec, there was a very little bit of toe, but not enough to cause shakes like this at all.

Sorry that's so long, but i cannot seem to find the issue. And I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a solution.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rotate the tires and see if the problem follows to the rear.... if so then it is the "new" tires, if not then look for something in the front end. I had a terrible shake in my steering wheel, like you could see it moving side to side going 10-15 miles per hour, my tires started to seperate due to a cut in the rubber on the inside.

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotate the tires and see if the problem follows to the rear.... if so then it is the "new" tires, if not then look for something in the front end. I had a terrible shake in my steering wheel, like you could see it moving side to side going 10-15 miles per hour, my tires started to seperate due to a cut in the rubber on the inside.
Damn, forgot to mention i had them rotated when i balanced them the second time since we did all 4 on the balancer. Results seem the same each time like something is loose or broken but we can't find anything... the only thing i haven't liked into is replacing the lower control arms completely. But I'm about to put some lowering springs and I'm hoping that will clear up what the problem is.
I'm having them rotated again today, but a friend said to have them take the tire off the wheel, so we'll see i guess.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
you got new wheels, not just new tires, right?

make sure the washer-like retaining clips are removed from the wheel studs; they will cause trouble with aftermarket wheels

·
Registered
255 Posts
Damn, forgot to mention i had them rotated when i balanced them the second time since we did all 4 on the balancer. Results seem the same each time like something is loose or broken but we can't find anything... the only thing i haven't liked into is replacing the lower control arms completely. But I'm about to put some lowering springs and I'm hoping that will clear up what the problem is.
I'm having them rotated again today, but a friend said to have them take the tire off the wheel, so we'll see i guess.
If you figure it out, please post the answer, I'm curious to know what is going on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you got new wheels, not just new tires, right?

make sure the washer-like retaining clips are removed from the wheel studs; they will cause trouble with aftermarket wheels
Those have been gone for a long time, forgot about them lol.
If you figure it out, please post the answer, I'm curious to know what is going on.
I will be sure to, hoping someone else can chime in.

I hate that it could be the tires, but if it comes to that i have insurance on the new ones so hopefully it's not a huge deal. I'll be selling the others they've been inspected and are straight up so idk what's going on w/ them. I'll keep this updated.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Well, I hate to tell you this but my gut instinct says tires...here's why....... Hankook & Pirelli both have terrible reputations a tire companies. IMHO...#1- avoid all Chinese tire owned manufacturers....... Pirelli as an example was purchased by the Chinese government through a private subsidiary in 2015, closed up all US manufacturing then about 3 years ago re-opened facilities in the US.... and they are new, inexperienced (as compared to the previous Pirelli owned facilities like Hanford, California that had been operating for 30+ years).

You have the real potential here of either tires that were manufactured poorly with terrible balance or they are begining to have signs of internal tire structural failure. Instead of dynamic balancing, have them place the wheel on a static balancer (kinda a triangle shaped base with a bubble glass in the center- yeah, real old fashion way), with no weighs on the wheel/tire assembly, and see how it fairs..... if it takes more than a couple of weights placed 12" apart, something is wrong........ dismount the tire from the wheel and check the wheel.... could be poorly made as well...next pplace the wheel on the spin balancer, but without the machine on, set up a indicator which barely touches the side of the wheel, slowly spin the wheel, it may be out of round by poor manufacturing processes.

Reactions: dusman59 and LadyGT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I hate to tell you this but my gut instinct says tires...here's why....... Hankook & Pirelli both have terrible reputations a tire companies. IMHO...#1- avoid all Chinese tire owned manufacturers....... Pirelli as an example was purchased by the Chinese government through a private subsidiary in 2015, closed up all US manufacturing then about 3 years ago re-opened facilities in the US.... and they are new, inexperienced (as compared to the previous Pirelli owned facilities like Hanford, California that had been operating for 30+ years).

You have the real potential here of either tires that were manufactured poorly with terrible balance or they are begining to have signs of internal tire structural failure. Instead of dynamic balancing, have them place the wheel on a static balancer (kinda a triangle shaped base with a bubble glass in the center- yeah, real old fashion way), with no weighs on the wheel/tire assembly, and see how it fairs..... if it takes more than a couple of weights placed 12" apart, something is wrong........ dismount the tire from the wheel and check the wheel.... could be poorly made as well...next pplace the wheel on the spin balancer, but without the machine on, set up a indicator which barely touches the side of the wheel, slowly spin the wheel, it may be out of round by poor manufacturing processes.
Firstly, wheels are 100% fine, they're SVE wheels that I've had on the car over 2 years now. I've had 0 issues on the other tires, but I'm now leaning towards the rear tire having an issue because i experienced a strange shake while driving today that felt like the rear tire or tires had some kind of bump on them.
I'm going to have them checked and then if there's still an issue I'm going to file an insurance claim against them (I got insurance on the tires when i bought them.)

Annoying, but I'll get my money back one way or another, that, or I'll ask them to replace them with Michelin ps4s.

I'll kept this updated as i figure things out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts