Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I factory ordered a 2012 GT and took delivery with 6 miles on the odometer. Since then the following has happened:

1) engine oil leak @ 3k miles - replace front timing seal cover
2) engine oil leak @ 9k miles - replace front timing seal cover
3) engine oil leak @ 15k miles - replace front timing seal cover
4) rear main seal leak @ 19k miles - replace seal
5) paint peeling off hood @ 21k miles - repaint hood
6) check engine light/fuel injector malfunction @ 25k miles - replace all injectors
7) head unit bluetooth malfunction @ 26k miles - replace head unit
8) ring and pinion failure @ 29k miles - replace entire rear end

Buddy of mine said the car is basically unsellable now, not even a dealer would take it for a trade-in after seeing this carfax. Feels I should lawyer up and really put the pressure on the dealership to buy it back. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dang, that sucks, I have almost 25K on my 2012, and have had no issues ( knock on wood ).

I have no clue about lemon laws

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
It's a little late to try and get Ford to buy back a nearly three year old car, isn't it?
+1

I'm not so sure mechanical repairs show up on a Carfax? I don't remember seeing any of that on the Carfax that I had printed up for my F150 when I was first looking at selling it (I ended up trading it).

In any event it looks like they should have saved themselves the time and extra money by just replacing the seal the first time as it seems your leaking problem stopped after that (?)

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a little late to try and get Ford to buy back a nearly three year old car, isn't it?
Per letter of the law yes. But the car is clearly a lemon, just happens to be a slow molding lemon. And of course the biggest threat is after the bumper-bumper warranty expires, I dont know how many of these issues would fall under powertrain. I guess I'll just buy a carfax and see what actually shows up on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Per letter of the law yes. But the car is clearly a lemon, just happens to be a slow molding lemon. And of course the biggest threat is after the bumper-bumper warranty expires, I dont know how many of these issues would fall under powertrain. I guess I'll just buy a carfax and see what actually shows up on it.
Dont buy that carfax!

At least not yet....

You can register your car for FREE on mycarfax.com and it gives you all of the service records that they have on file.

Its essentially a website that can track your oil change intervals and registration while also showing you any service that has been done on your car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IMO, there is no way you win on a lemon law claim for a 3 year old car with almost 30K on it. What you have is a well used car at this point that no doubt has given you a lot more trouble that it should have. My advice would be to sell or trade it and get something that hopefully will not give you the headaches. I doubt you will have the trouble you think trading it. Best of luck.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Just my opinion but if you trade the car in at the dealership that has done all the work and says the car is fixed they should give you a fair trade in amount just like any other car. On top of that I might talk to the sales manager and be honest about how disappointed you have been with your Ford product and now is his chance to earn your loyalty or lose you and everyone you talk to. I do think I would get rid of it with it's track record. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
With the Lemon Law, you have to have the same problem multiple times with no resolution. You have to give Ford the chance to fix the problems. It seems like your problems have been resolved?

Obviously- check for the specifics of your home state's lemon law- they're all different!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll agree you've had more issues than you should have, although the repeat leaks on the timing cover make it appear more, but sometimes things work out where you might not have many more issues.

If you like it still might be worth keeping it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
FWIW, I had a 2009 BMW 335I with 70K Miles on it. In the shop 12 times for Turbo Issues. BMW Bought it back thru the Lemon Law in October of 2012. (California)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Trade it. Its a three year old old body style car so you will take a hit. The lemon law even if it can be used takes up to much time. Unload that sucker. I had an Infinity FX35 like that. Drove it till the warrenty was comming due. Traded it in for a honda CRV took the loss as a win and smiled at seeing it go.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Buddy of mine said the car is basically unsellable now, not even a dealer would take it for a trade-in after seeing this carfax.
First, what your buddy thinks means nothing.

Second, have you pulled a carfax on your car yet? I wouldn't be surprised to see nothing on it. But I suppose that depends on if your dealership reports.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Definitely be flipping that before the bumper to bumper runs out - be warned - the Stealerships are MASTERS at denying warranty once you get over the bumper to bumper, my local even charged me $89 to tell me there was nothing wrong (my fault I should know better than go to a stealership - KANATA FORD IN OTTAWA ON - for ANYTHING)
Bet you can get a wicked deal on a 2014 right now - and other than the hood I haven't seen that many issues with the Coyotes (or the Cyclones for that matter) so I'm guessing you got a bad one is all...

Good luck

Scott

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I wonder if there is a score mark on the crank? I imagine if it was bent (even slightly) it would run rough. Another reason for multiple leaks could be poor repair/diagnosis. idk but selling may be best (sorry to have you consider it but...)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Remember, if you trade the car into another Ford dealer, they can run OASIS and get every repair FORD has performed to this car, not so, if you go GM or Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Carfax only knows things that are reported. They don't have access to dealerships report or any other business only if they report it

·
Registered
55 Posts
First three trips for timing cover oil leak could be considered lemon. Whether the car actually had this failure of sealing the front cover or the tech did a piss poor job two times in a row, thats lemon law right there. At this point, if you wanted to attempt to get it bought back, you'd have to get a lawyer on your side, but it honestly should hold up in court. Only a lawyer with specific knowledge of your states lemon laws can give you a genuine assessment of your case however so seek legal advice/counsel.

3 repair attempts to fix the same condition, or a total of 45 days in the shop for same condition is considered a lemon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts