Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 3.7l and I'm planning on supercharging it in the near future. However I would first like to upgrade the suspension so that it can put down all that extra power. American muscle has a project car in which they ended up putting an aluminum crankshaft, J&M rear lower control arms and a JPC racing adjustable upper control arm. Is this a good setup for the money or is American Muscle just trying to sell these products. Also are there any bolt on mods that y'all think are absolutely neccesary for a supercharged mustang? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a 2012 3.7l and I'm planning on supercharging it in the near future. However I would first like to upgrade the suspension so that it can put down all that extra power. American muscle has a project car in which they ended up putting an aluminum crankshaft, J&M rear lower control arms and a JPC racing adjustable upper control arm. Is this a good setup for the money or is American Muscle just trying to sell these products. Also are there any bolt on mods that y'all think are absolutely neccesary for a supercharged mustang? Thanks in advance!
Jake,

Good question and great angle of attack. You'll see a lot of people go right for the SC and push suspension and brakes off to the side! These parts were all 100% necessary for us to post the times that we did. Be it stock or highly modified they're all going to work hand in hand with eachother to effectively put power to the ground to get the car off the line and down the track (or street) as quickly as possible. In regards to other "bolt on's" I wouldn't really say brakes would be but it's a must to overhaul your pads, rotors, and lines unless you're going to be picking up a big brake kit. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions I'm here to help!

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I actually forgot to add that my car is completely stock, so no performance package. Did the project car have the performance package? And if so do I need to buy some of those parts as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it necessary? Well yes and no. No in the sense that that car will still operate fine. Yes in the sense you probably will want to be able to utilize the increase in power more effectively. Why do you want more power? Is it to go faster in a straight line or faster on a road course? You suspension upgrades should go along those lines. So upgrades aren't necessarily done because you have a supercharger, but because you just want to go faster.

Brakes are an important upgrade here IMO. The faster you can accelerate, the faster you will need to be able to stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it necessary? Well yes and no. No in the sense that that car will still operate fine. Yes in the sense you probably will want to be able to utilize the increase in power more effectively. Why do you want more power? Is it to go faster in a straight line or faster on a road course? You suspension upgrades should go along those lines. So upgrades aren't necessarily done because you have a supercharger, but because you just want to go faster.

Brakes are an important upgrade here IMO. The faster you can accelerate, the faster you will need to be able to stop.
Faster in straight line but still something that's competent when cornering. What suspension parts would you suggest for this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Faster in straight line but still something that's competent when cornering. What suspension parts would you suggest for this?
Well more power will make you faster in a straight line, the main point here is drag racing vs road racing because they are somewhat opposite builds as far as handling/suspension goes.

Do you have an idea of what you don't like about the suspension of the car as it is? The best way to know what parts you need is to master the limits of the parts you have. When the car doesn't do what you want it to do then it becomes easy to say "I want to fix *this* about my car" Don't get caught in the trap of modding for the sake of modding.

Anyway the best bang for your buck as far as handling goes is probably wider/stickier tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts