Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the new 2012 5.0 on Memorial Day because I've read nothing but great reviews, saw awesome videos of the car performing, and well I've always wanted a Mustang since I had first gotten my license. The only thing is now I'm reading nothing but bad things about the transmission. Every other post I read people can't shift into 2nd, and can't downshift from 4th to 3rd, to 2nd and so on. I'm just wondering so I can ease my mind a little. Are these transmissions going because people beat the hell out of their car, or because Ford really just really f-ed up with the manufacturing? Some answers would be great. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Same here, but I ordered mine anyway and 1000 miles and counting later I could not be happier. Well . . ... with exception to the intake cover not being able to come off without unbolting the strut tower brace. Don't let the nay sayers sway you. The odds of you getting a bad tranny are 1000:eek:ne. I really do feel bad for those that do have bad and rough trannys, but they are far in the minority.

·
Registered
644 Posts
3800 miles and friend comments today was smoothies Mustang GT ever.
no issues knock on wood:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
193 Posts
We love ours. You will always hear the bad news. Good news isn't news.

·
Registered
297 Posts
have a poll going on about the subject.

so far no issues with the 2012.

beers

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
A few people complaing 80 times about the same thing will appear like 240 complaints to some.

Order it and dont' worry about it. You will be fine. Just make sure you know how to properly manipulate a shifter through gates.

Hope you pick one up soon!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a '12 manual trans, and having installed a Barton shift bracket(tightens up the shifting-personal preference), I'm happy with the trans.
You gotta understand that people with problems tend to search out forums to complain about them on. Rarely do people who are happy with things do the same with praise if their car(or whatever else) is working how they thought it would.
Think of it this way.. if you're dissatisfied with the way you were treated by the grocery store clerk, you'd be more likely to complain to the manager, rather than searching him out and giving the clerk praise if they simply did their job correctly.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It is truly disturbing how much these negative posts get the attention on this forum versus the other Mustang forums....I guess it draws in more hits to the site thus helping with sponsor dollars.

To the OP, please don't let a minority ruin what will most likely be one of the best cars you ever own. I'm not having any of the issues you speak of and have been very happy with my car even to the point of taking it on a road course. For a totally stock car with regards to any road course setup, the car performed great and shocked several veterans. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
942 Posts
Congratulations on your order and agree w/what the above posters say. I don't even read the damn xmission threads anymore.

Have ~ 2K on mine now in 3 1/2 weeks...I absolutely love this car. Phenominal.

Love the exhaust note w/the GT500 mufflers.

Pro Cal tune listed in sig (part of the FRPP) not yet avail for the 12's...considering seeing if dealer will refund that portion, saying "blank it" and ordering the Bama tune w/Steeda CAI.

Couple teaser pics, but they don't do the car justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Im only 850 miles in on my left over 11 GT with the M6 but I havent had any issues, no whining, no grinding, etc. only issue I have (if you can even call it an issue) is when I first drive the car the trans is a bit notchy for the first 2 minutes. alot of these issues are exaggerated. if youre not a ham fisted gorilla shifter than Im sure youll be fine

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a 2011 and had the TSB done where they replace the fluid, and while it was a little rough before, it's absolutely butter smooth now. Even before, I could've lived with it but I was in for an oil change and the TSB added all of 10 minutes to the wait time and it was free.

Don't worry about the transmission issues, you will love the car.

·
Registered
963 Posts
A few people die in car accidents. I think it'd be better to just stop driving altogether.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Only thing I hate about mine is the amount of deflection I get. Other than deflection, it's pretty smooth.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Last I checked, none of them due to the faulty MT82 transmission.

But might wanna skip driving just in case.
Are you sure? I haven't read the "OMG MY TRANNY IS A PIECE OF TRASH!!1" thread in a while, but I think a couple of the posters in there have been killed due to the transmission. There's one guy, who I won't name, that I believe has been killed because of the transmission 3 or 4 times now!

·
Registered
927 Posts
A few people complaing 80 times about the same thing will appear like 240 complaints to some.

Order it and dont' worry about it. You will be fine. Just make sure you know how to properly manipulate a shifter through gates.

Hope you pick one up soon!
+1 Agreed. Great car, the best Stang ever built! percentage of those with issues is very small vs. 1000's of great cars built.

Enjoy ! :bigthumbsup

G

·
0 Posts
Are you sure? I haven't read the "OMG MY TRANNY IS A PIECE OF TRASH!!1" thread in a while, but I think a couple of the posters in there have been killed due to the transmission. There's one guy, who I won't name, that I believe has been killed because of the transmission 3 or 4 times now!
:laugh:

Haha yeah after the first time I was killed due to the trans I thought it was a fluke. The second time I was killed was a coincedence but posted on a forum anyway. The third time I finally decided to take it in to the dealership to be diagnosed. But after the tech was killed test driving the car they said it was normal!

·
Registered
420 Posts
We love ours. You will always hear the bad news. Good news isn't news.
Exactly this, people rarely come to the internet forums to extol the virtues of anything. They are looking for solutions to problems, or a place to vent.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly, I've been reading all the "bigger" Mustang forums and it seems like AFM has a much higher percentage of "tranny issue" threads than the others. Don't get me wrong, the problems do exist, and Ford knows about 'em and we're told they are working on them, but I don't think it's nearly as widespread as it's made out to be. What percentage for the ten's of thousands of Mustangs sold owners actually participate in forum discussions? I'd bet it's well under 25%.

Just my 2 cents, don't sweat it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts