Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Don't want to get into the middle of the circle jerk in here, but either buy the car knowing things could go wrong or don't. IMO I'd be more concerned with how Ford handles warranty work than whether or not something will go wrong with your car requiring it.

These threads asking the obviously skewed audience as to whether or not to buy a $30-$40K car seem...lazy to me. Do your research and make your own decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that people turn to this forum to research and try to make sense of problems that they experience and that is why you are seeing a concentration of posts related to MT-82 problems. In my opinion I wouldn't let what you are reading about the transmission problems keep you from buying the best pony car ever built. There are some problems but they don't seem to effect the majority of the cars (none of us have any way to accurately know actual numbers) built and sold but it's the people that are having these problems that look to the internet for help when the dealership brushes them off. IMO.

The thread that I have been posting on is without a doubt legitimate. We have proven that with our findings. So you should be aware of that but also just keep it in perspective with the number of Mustangs sold vs the number of people posting.

I also agree with the post about how the dealerships are not handling the service issues properly. That in itself has led to many of us looking to the internet for help.
I personally have been racing Mustangs since the early 1990's and have been in the Mustang aftermarket about the same length of time. There has never been a Mustang built that has even close and not just the performance either. The fit and finish is the best quality work Ford has ever done as well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
50% of the people complaining about the MT-82 don't know how a manual transmission works.

40% don't know how to properly operate one.

10% actually have a malfunctioning transmission.

All the people complaining about the transmission represent about 2% of the total mustang owners in the country.

You do the math.

Enjoy your Mustang.

-Jason

p.s. 4500 trouble-free miles on my '12 GT

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every cam manufactured has some problems and as you have read in many of the replies most of the people with those problems flock to the forums to complain or look for help. I have had my car for 8 months and 7600 miles. I did install the Barton bracket and it helped but honestly I love everything about my car!

·
Registered
116 Posts
car, not cam. most cams are manufactured without problems.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
50% of the people complaining about the MT-82 don't know how a manual transmission works.

All the people complaining about the transmission represent about 2% of the total mustang owners in the country.

You do the math.

Enjoy your Mustang.

-Jason

I really do wish your bogus numbers are true as I surely would have got a good one but alas I got one that is allergic to <60 deg weather.:sadcry

·
Registered
734 Posts
I really do wish your bogus numbers are true as I surely would have got a good one but alas I got one that is allergic to <60 deg weather.:sadcry
Probably should have put an IMO in front of those numbers, but that's how I think it is.

Most manual transmissions don't like cold. That's kinda how they work.

My favorite is all the focus/fiesta people bitching about the DCT, saying it's clunky at low speeds. Cracks me up every time.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Most manual transmissions don't like cold. That's kinda how they work.
As a Canadian with over two decades driving experience I have seen a couple transmissions that didn't like -30F but also a plenty that would work fine at sub-zero temperatures without grinding. However I have never, ever, ever come across one like the MT82 that grinded at temperatures below 60F. Heck that's pretty warm up here.

Honestly I don't want to start another debate but I just can't get over how strange this transmission is. When it works well it's one of the finer manual transmission's I've used but the cold (cold isn't really a good term as we are talking about temperatures well above freezing) shifting issues are hard to overlook as well as other strange things like the fact that 2nd gear never engages smoothly if done while making a left hand turn. Those are just what I've encountered in mine but there are so many other different complaints from transmission wine, gear lockout, clutch engagement issues.

I really do love the car but always wondering how the transmission will behave kind of takes a little of the fun out of the car for me.

G

·
0 Posts
As a Canadian with over two decades driving experience I have seen a couple transmissions that didn't like -30F but also a plenty that would work fine at sub-zero temperatures without grinding. However I have never, ever, ever come across one like the MT82 that grinded at temperatures below 60F. Heck that's pretty warm up here.

Honestly I don't want to start another debate but I just can't get over how strange this transmission is. When it works well it's one of the finer manual transmission's I've used but the cold (cold isn't really a good term as we are talking about temperatures well above freezing) shifting issues are hard to overlook as well as other strange things like the fact that 2nd gear never engages smoothly if done while making a left hand turn. Those are just what I've encountered in mine but there are so many other different complaints from transmission wine, gear lockout, clutch engagement issues.

I really do love the car but always wondering how the transmission will behave kind of takes a little of the fun out of the car for me.
Maybe it's not the transmission to blame, could be other issues. Please read Adam Louramore's thread on his opinion on the inner workings of the Getrag and supporting components.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/293597-2011-2012-getrag-mt-82-mustang-6-speed-transmission-internal-shift-linkage-problems-31.html#post2615625

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

You do the math.

Enjoy your Mustang.

-Jason

Really? hahahaha That's laughable. All of it... except for the 2% deal..no way to know.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts