Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just hit 1000 miles and my mpg is around 15! i use the highway a lot started using cruise control ever since i hit the 1000 mark. Last time i filled up my tank said 266 miles to E. which is pathetic for a 16 gallong tank.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Check your oil as it should be a quart low at 1,000 miles.

Then go dog that 5.0 from 20 to 90 hard ten times straight. I'm getting 21 around town and 24 to 28 on highway, 2500 miles and no oil loss after 1,000 miles. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
101 Posts
At 9000 miles, I've never gotten under 21 with my 6MT/3.55 5.0
15 mile mostly highway commute + regular 7 mile back road trips. If you're burning that much gas, I'd bet the local PD is starting a pool on who gets you first:yup:

G

·
0 Posts
Reset the trip computer as well as milage computer next time you fill up. It will say 0.0mpg until you start driving and will likely show a more accurate fuel milage reading.

@Wblv17, oil level has nothing to do with fuel milage. A new car does not necessarily consume oil either. The "break-in" period is often confused for the onboard computers learning the driving habits and ambient conditions and correcting for them.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
just hit 1000 miles and my mpg is around 15! i use the highway a lot started using cruise control ever since i hit the 1000 mark. Last time i filled up my tank said 266 miles to E. which is pathetic for a 16 gallong tank.
If you're using the car's computer for your mileage reset it on your next tank. Just last weekend I reset mine when turning onto a flat 60 mile stretch of road. I set the cruise to 70 mph and with little to no headwind got 24.7 mpg over the course of that 60 miles. Oh . . ... 12 GT with 3.73 rear.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you hit 0 miles on the guage I think you still have another 3 gallons left in the tank because that's what happens when I fill up. I fill up at 5 miles to E and only fill up 13.5ish gallons. The MPG will get better. When I'm doing 50mph in 6th gear I get 30 MPG and 28 MPG at 60mph. Driving in the city and stopping at light after light I get anywhere from 15 to 18 MPG, but I just turned 4,980 today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gas mileage

Hey all, I have about 900 miles and so far I am getting 20.0 in town and on the back roads. It's a 2012 with 3.73 gears. I have taken it easy so far. Maybe 5 mph above posted limit and not so many hard starts :). Not got it on the interstate but I seem to think the 3.73 gears will not hurt you in town and back road driving. Also so far oil looks good might be just a tad low on the dip stick, but not a quart yet... yet... lol. I drive about 15 miles hwy and 2 miles in town a day most days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Normal everyday driving (equal mix of town/hwy) averaging 18 on last three tanks. On board consistently within .5 mpg of calculated. Only made one trip over 100 miles and got 24. BTW 2600 & 1 quart low on oil. About what I expected.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only get about 16/17 at best and I drive all city and that's with relatively conservative driving...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Last 2 tanks: 14mpg 100% city drove about 200 miles, 27mpg 100% highway, drove about 300 miles (top down cruise ~65mi/hr), 3.55, 6MT GT 2011 convertible /w brembo. Gauge is correct within .5 mpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
got 13k miles on my 11 gt and get 21mpg 90% of the time. got my stang in may of 10 and for the first 6months or so it stayed around 16 to 17mpg but of course u gotta test the coyote out.:gringreen

·
Registered
833 Posts
266 Miles to empty is about right as I doubt I would ever get more than that...I usually fill up around the 200-225 mark when it is slightly below a 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
270 Posts
to get accurate mileage results you need to use a good gps to track miles traveled and record the gallons pumped at every fill-up. Dont top off and get gas from the same station every time. The cars computer has to be accurately calibrated to rear axle ratio as well as tire revs per mile, some tires have different revs per mile even with identical tire size, (google it, all manufacturers list revs per mile by tire model and size). Car computers are often off by a few miles per hour and that makes a big difference in results. Check your speedo reading against a good GPS, good chance they are not identical. I got a reading of 28mpg in 6th at 50MPH on the cars computer and the true mileage was more like 22MPG! and I use 93. I recalibrated the revs per mile (most tuners allow you to change axle ratio as well as revs per mile) and it is now accurate to about 1 MPG

Im just sayin

·
Registered
631 Posts
#1. Reset your fuel mileage computer.

#2. Don't rely on the fuel mileage computer. It's an estimate, but you should calculate your fuel mileage by hand when you fill up to be as accurate as possible.

#3. You're getting better than 15 mpg because your math doesn't add up. Even if you were completely emptying your tank, you'd only be getting 225 miles to the tank at 15 mpg. Instead, you're getting 266 miles to the tank and you're probably only running it down to E, which means you should have 2 gallons left in the tank, or in other words, you only burnt 13 gallons instead of the full 15. My guess is you're probably getting closer to 20 mpg, but again, reset your gas mileage computer - that's why you're getting confused.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got a reading of 28mpg in 6th at 50MPH on the cars computer and the true mileage was more like 22MPG! and I use 93. I recalibrated the revs per mile (most tuners allow you to change axle ratio as well as revs per mile) and it is now accurate to about 1 MPG

Im just sayin
I'm assuming you were doing this testing after you installed your tune? Do you have factory 3.55 or 3.73 gears? The tunes will not always be calibrated to compensate for the gears out of the box. When I installed my tune I didn't select 3.55 gears in the options because I had put that on the form when I ordered the tune and assumed it would already be set up. I got 28mpg on my commute to work (80mph most of the way) when I had been getting 23-24. At first I thought the tune was helping my mileage that much. Then I realized that it wasn't correcting for my stock 3.55 gears, so not only was I not going 80mph when I thought I was, the computer was also measuring the distance traveled incorrectly. So that's why the MPG was so high.

Long story short, if you install a tune and don't have 3.31 gears, make sure you set the options for your gears even if you specified your gear ratio on your order form.

Back on topic, I'm averaging right around 20 MPG with a mix of about 70% highway 30% city. Haven't had a tank lower than 18MPG since buying the car, but I also haven't had a 100% city tank yet. If I reset the gauge while driving, I get about 22 on the highway and 14-15 in the city. I could definitely get better mileage, especially in the city, but I have a heavy right foot. These numbers are after the 4.10 gears. I was getting about 1 MPG higher per tank when I had 3.55s.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have an 2012 with 3.73's and if i drive heavy I get 15-17. If I drive normal I get 19-22 combined. If I reset it on the hwy coasting in 6th on cruise control I get about 27-29...

There's a lot of good info here. Just try to be consistent and try to perfect your driving. Fill in some info in your sig about your car as well. I have been steadily increasing in mileage the better I learn my car and how to "optimally" drive it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm averaging 20-21 right now. Commute is mostly highway, but its pretty congested so its not a set the cruise and drive kind of trip.
Also i have found the car reads ~1 mpg low with excellent consistency...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Reset the trip computer as well as milage computer next time you fill up. It will say 0.0mpg until you start driving and will likely show a more accurate fuel milage reading.

@Wblv17, oil level has nothing to do with fuel milage. A new car does not necessarily consume oil either. The "break-in" period is often confused for the onboard computers learning the driving habits and ambient conditions and correcting for them.
I just wanted to make sure he knew the oil that is lost during break in. At 1,000 miles no it want hurt if a quart or two low. Let it get down to less the half oil in any motor will make it run hotter and use more gas. But in this case just wanted to make sure he knew about oil loss during first few thousand miles. :winks. I don't want mine below 1/2 quart low.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm at 2800 miles and AVG 24 so far. That is by math not the dump avg thing thats 2.5 miles low on my GT. The old V6 was only 0.3 off low every time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most of my driving is in the city and I get about 21 mpg, and about 27 mpg on the highway. My foot can be heavy at times.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts